Pocket Passer Does It Again

Mango

+1

The fact that the Ravens won the Superbowl means nothing more than the fact that the Ravens won the game. The 49ers' inability to gain 5 yards in one particular situation doesn't really act as a referendum on mobile QBs.

sage speaks the truth again..............lets not act like qb's with the ability to run and pass are worse than ones that just pass. The game is a changing a little, Kaeps game isn't worse because he runs like a gazelle.

SF 480 yards 7 yards per carry................not exactly struggling.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you aren't a pocket passer, you can't be successful in this league. RGIII and Wilson (when he started staying in the pocket more after his first few games), were successful in the passing game BECAUSE they can set up in the pocket and make the defense defend the ENTIRE field. Nothing wrong with a QB that can run but that doesn't make him a QB that can't operate from the pocket. All of these new QBs who can run seem to be doing just fine in the pocket. Forcing a defense to respect a QB that can also run is an obvious advantage. But they are all pocket passers first and foremost when it comes to throwing the ball. That's the thing that impressed me most about Wilson. In his first few games he was trying to find lanes by moving around which disrupted his timing and made it too easy on defenses because they didn't have to defend the entire field. I didn't think he'd be able to adapt so quickly. Says a lot about his coaches in Seattle.

GO BILLS!!!

Actually I was going to comment that the better defense won that game. Didnt have anything to do with QB. CK played well enough to win. The Ravens defense played a better game. Or should I say that Donte Whitner and the 49ers defense crumbled in the first half worse than any Super Bowl team since the 49ers blew out the Chargers.

Defense wins championships.

Ding!-ding!-ding!

Superior 'D' has been Tom Brady's achilles heel every time he's been bounced from the playoffs! -Helloooo, OBD... Anyone paying attention over there?

Unless there's and exact clone of RG3 available @ 8, We should go HARD on 'D' this draft... The old timers playing Bocce ball in the park near my house, are more motivated than our LB's. -If we're ever going to build that Championship D, this would be the year to go 'all-in', and get it done.

Once again, football is a team game no matter how you spin it. Kaep had one of the best 2nd halfs in NFL history. But Flacco is obviously better because Kaep dropped those passes, let Jones burn him deep and not tackle him, and didn't tackle Jones on a kickoff.

Kaepernick is the only QB I regret the Bills passing on. He is going to be a beast.

As you know, he already is.

Yeah, I know he is. He is the one miss the Bills have that kills me because I saw unlimited potential at Nevada. I also think Harbaugh is steroids for QBs. The worst part is Gailey probably could have done wonderful things with him as well. I'll never get why an offensive coach won't want as many QBs as possible to work with.

Yeah, I know he is. He is the one miss the Bills have that kills me because I saw unlimited potential at Nevada. I also think Harbaugh is steroids for QBs. The worst part is Gailey probably could have done wonderful things with him as well. I'll never get why an offensive coach won't want as many QBs as possible to work with.

Well Gailey can now indulge his inner stubbornness on the porch at Shady Rest Retirement Home.

It had to be his way and now he has only himself to blame.

We saw yesterday that a really immobile Flacco totally outplayed Kaep.

I thought Kaep totally outplayed Flacco. Like some of Flaccos best throws (the deep TD where the WR had to come up short, fall down, then get abck up to score) were bad balls. Meanwhile Kaep had two awesome pin-point deep passes dropped. Plus his WRs were totally blanketed all game long and when they were, he just ran for yards keeping their O going.

I didnt think it was really that close either. Kaep had a better game.

Actually I was going to comment that the better defense won that game. Didnt have anything to do with QB. CK played well enough to win. The Ravens defense played a better game. Or should I say that Donte Whitner and the 49ers defense crumbled in the first half worse than any Super Bowl team since the 49ers blew out the Chargers.

Defense wins championships.

The Defense snuffed out that last almost won drive by the 49'ers

Having a mobile QB is good. I think it's been proven, though, that QBs who run first, and recklessly, have short playing careers rife with missed games. See RGIII.

Kaep is a rare talent--great at both. I'd be surprised, though, that he plays a full season playing as he did this year. Luckily, he has a cannon arm and good decision making skills and great receiving talent and a great O line.

Pocket passers only work well when they A) have a great line, B) have deep talent to throw the ball to and C) a great running game.

Mobile QBs can play well with a deficiency in any of these.