How did SF know in 2011

BillsVet

Talk about mixed up logic in bashing 49ers belief in Kaepernick. The main goal of pursuing Manning was to solidify the QB position for the SuperBowl run. It was more of a knock on Smith than Kaep. Yes, he was on the roster, but it's reasonable that Harbaugh didn't think he would be ready so soon. The pursuit of Manning is very logical. He has about two years left in the tank, after which, you hand the reigns over to Kaep. Besides, Smith was set to become a UFA in March and that's why 49er's pursued Manning.

The linear logic in this thread is perfect experience for the Bills' front office. Post your applications at OBD.

A few things...

1. Remember that the the 2nd round of the draft commenced the day after the 1st round concluded, so teams had overnight to re-asses prior to making their pick. The Bills were picking #2 in the second round, so it is possible that as they were doing their last-minute reviews that night, perhaps they tipped their hand that they were interested in Aaron Williams, given that they were not in a position of hoping he fell several spots to them.

2. The wording about the Bills' and other teams' lack of interest is interesting. I suspect that King may have indeed put his own spin on that. He seems to like the wine-and-cheese crowd, which explains his infatuation with the Pats and 49ers. In many ways, his assessment is illogical. Just because the Bills may or may not have been interested in a certain player, that does not mean that another team wouldn't trade up into their spot if they liked a that player.

3. I heard recently that Harbaugh had a bit of an inside scoop on Kaepernick. Apparently Andrew Luck attended a QB school back in 2011 along with a number of other college prospects. Harbaugh asked Luck which of the QBs at the school really stood out, and Luck couldn't say enough great things about Kaepernick.

+1

With the rookie pay scale, I am fully on board with taking QBs each year until we find our own 'elite' qb.

I couldn't agree more, NC.

I wish it would have started last year, but nonetheless, I don't care if they draft a QB in one of the first two rounds this year and he "seems OK" in 2013...still draft one in 2014 in the first two rounds until you are sure you have your man.

A lot of BS. I guess you can say the Bills spend a ton of money on Fitz, so they likely won't spend another high pick on a guy. at the same time, the 49ers believed so much in Kaepernick that they tried to sign Manning and re-signed Smith. 20-20.

Exactly. The 49ers thought that Kaep was such a no-brainer that they waited until the 2nd round to draft him. Much the same way the seawawks were so high on Wilson that they waited until the 3rd round to get him as well.

Sometimes a little luck is required as well.

Talk about mixed up logic in bashing 49ers belief in Kaepernick. The main goal of pursuing Manning was to solidify the QB position for the SuperBowl run. It was more of a knock on Smith than Kaep. Yes, he was on the roster, but it's reasonable that Harbaugh didn't think he would be ready so soon. The pursuit of Manning is very logical. He has about two years left in the tank, after which, you hand the reigns over to Kaep. Besides, Smith was set to become a UFA in March and that's why 49er's pursued Manning.

The linear logic in this thread is perfect experience for the Bills' front office. Post your applications at OBD.

You don't know to much about the type of contract Peyton got do you? Specifically the guarantees.

http://www.sbnation.com/2012-nfl-free-agency/2012/3/20/2887461/peyton-manning-contract-denver-broncos

But your right they wanted Kaepernick to take over from Manning in 2014......

Edited by mob16151

You don't know to much about the type of contract Peyton got do you? Specifically the guarantees.

http://www.sbnation....-denver-broncos

But your right they wanted Kaepernick to take over from Manning in 2014......

Yeah, it's effectively a 3yr deal at $19mil/year. How's that different from what I wrote? I can argue that one reason that 49ers backed away was because they didn't want Manning to sign for more than two years, and he insisted on a 3-year guaranty, and Broncos blinked.

From Peter King's MMQB this AM:

Baalke knew the Bills weren't going to take Kaepernick or Dalton at 34, and he figured Cincy would take Dalton at 35.

Peter King reported leading up to the 2011 draft that Buffalo was a "black hole" of information. Unlike teams that attempt to use subterfuge, the Bills buttoned up completely that year.

Yet, how did SF and presumably other teams needing a QB know the Bills would not take either Kaepernick or Dalton?

I was in Vegas...after a night of heavy drinking and stepping on and spraining my ankle on a 5 year old walking out of New York New York...

I remember the Bills war room being excited on drafting A. Williams and thinks WTF? Why are they so excited

It was then...I has to reassure myself as a Bills fan that:

A) I'm not a GM

B) I'm not knowledgable on drafting a player in real life

C) that I wanted the guy from Wisconsin who played college ball at Nevada

D) A. Williams might be a good pick

C) spelling and punctuation is not my specialty... Alas my screen name

Yeah, it's effectively a 3yr deal at $19mil/year. How's that different from what I wrote? I can argue that one reason that 49ers backed away was because they didn't want Manning to sign for more than two years, and he insisted on a 3-year guaranty, and Broncos blinked.

Because if your convinced a guy is your future at QB you dont sit him on the bench for 4 years. Aaron Rodgers didn't even sit that long.

Since 1999 the Bills have drafted 2 QBs: JP Losman & Levi Brown.

I'd say there's a 100% chance we draft a QB in '13.

In 2011 Fitzpatrick had just come off a mildly successful 2010 where he went for 23tds & 15ints in 13 games. The idea was if Fitz could cut down his picks and throw a few more tds we'd be back in the playoffs.

Don't forget Trent Edwards.

a great D, great coach, and a really good supporting offensive cast.

None of which the Bills had. It amazes me how so many 'knowledgeable' posters forget to include this point in their rant about passing on a QB.

The Bills had (and have) holes all over the roster. Adding a rookie QB without the supporting cast gets you Jake Locker, Blaine Gabbert, Jimmy Clausen, Brady Quinn, Matt Leinart, Jason Campbell, David Carr, Joey Harrington.....