Bills Need More Help Than People Think

Mark VI

From the Olean Times, some stark reality .

The Bills’ nine wins came against teams with a 55-89 record (.382 pct.) and only two clubs, the Jets (10-6) and Seahawks (9-7), that finished with winning records.

By contrast, their seven losses were to teams with a combined mark of 76-36 (.679 pct.), the only one with a losing season in that group being Oakland (5-11).

In short, Buffalo was 7-1 against non-winning clubs and 2-6 against teams over .500.

Thus, the question.

Are the Bills on the cusp of joining the NFL’s elite, or are they merely at the top of the middle class?

That winning streak came against below average to bad teams. 9-7 may be as good as this team actaully is. Bills obviously can't beat the Steelers or Pats. Where do the Bills need to get stronger or receive better production ?

1. 2-3 OL positions

2. TE

3. #3 WR

4. QB

5. DE - Must improve against the run

6. Secondary depth

Playcalling plays a part but often the positions mentioned above failed to play up to expectations. So can the present players improve or do the Bills actually need to make changes several positions to compete with the " A " teams ? Some have suggested we are 1,2 players away. I'm thinking it's much more than that or some of the present cast needs to elevate their games considerably.

Bills are indeed moving in the right direction but lets not kid ourselves. We need more upgrading than people think. Good teams push us around.

TD has some work to do.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i think the important thing is we don't need alot of KEY positions upgraded.......

how tough is it to find a #3 WR? a decent guard? secondary depth? run stopping DE? all of those things can be found in the draft or cheaply in free agency.......

and forgot about the QB position......we won't be doing anything in that area, and with this style of offense i don't see why we would......

ihow tough is it to find a #3 WR? a decent guard? secondary depth? run stopping DE? all of those things can be found in the draft or cheaply in free agency.......

195726[/snapback]

Lessee - they've tried Brown, Reed, Shaw, Pucillo, Sobieski, Wire, Reese, Ritzmann, Denney and so forth.

Seems to be hard enough so far... :D

Lessee - they've tried Brown, Reed, Shaw, Pucillo, Sobieski, Wire, Reese, Ritzmann, Denney and so forth.

Seems to be hard enough so far... :D

195755[/snapback]

while also trying to fill KEY positions........thus, the secondary positions weren't a priority when the starters blow.......now that the starters are set, it's time to work on depth........one thing at a time

and oh yeah, it's too early to call josh a bust in my eyes.......

He'll go in the 2nd round.

195794[/snapback]

In light of the 6-7 needs you mention above could you do it? He could outright win 2-3 games per year based on FGs, then factor in field position...I always wished the Bills had drafted Gary Anderson, he was a good kicker.

..I always wished the Bills had drafted Gary Anderson, he was a good kicker.

195799[/snapback]

:D Why did Anderson have to kick poorly, back in his rookie year ? I believe he missed all 5 of his FG attempts in that Bills pre-season.

Keep an eye on the BYU kicker. Matt Payne, 6-4, 234 lbs. He's a big guy and likes to get in on the tackle. I saw him kick a 53 yarder this year.

Then again, I looked over his stats for this past year, and he was only 15 of 22 on FGs. However, he did make 4 of 5 from 50 yards or more. He also had 21 touchbacks on kickoffs. Plus, he was the punter as well and averaged over 45 yards on his punts.