I've been looking over several mock drafts.  I know its early but several of them have us taking C.J. Brooks a guard from Maryland.

C.J. Bio from Maryland website

Any thoughts?

195677[/snapback]

Hes been my favorite for our 2bd round pick for a few months. Looks like Ruben all over again, but takes less penalties :D

Elton Brown Virginia and David Baas Michigan are the other two I like. Brown is a little larger but slower on his feet, definitely dominates though. Baas is a Hutchinson road grader with a nasty nature but lacks a little in size, who starts at C for the Wolverines.

Any of the 3 would be great but CJ is my favorite. Best, size, light on his feet, dominating blocker combo of them all IMO.

Here's a scouting report on Brooks from last sumer:

One of our favorite prospects on this [Maryland] roster three years running has been offensive lineman C.J. Brooks. An athletic blocker, Brooks combines the ability to play in space with strength at the point of attack. Agile, he easily adjusts in pass protection and displays solid blocking range yet at the same time Brooks opens holes in the middle of the line for the running game. Many forget, as a sophomore he had a solid season playing left tackle before moving inside to guard. While he needs to turn up the intensity of his game Brooks could easily be a top 75 pick next April.

Actually, if they desire an impact player in Round 2, K Mike Nugent of Ohio St. would be a big upgrade. Lindell was very poor with his kickoffs in many games, costing us valuable field positions. He barely made some of those short FG's in the 20-40 yard range. Beyond 40, Lindell is a total adventure.

We can upgrade the OL with solid Vet FA's. Let's see what's available. Rookies take years to make an impact on the OL.

I've been looking over several mock drafts.  I know its early but several of them have us taking C.J. Brooks a guard from Maryland.

C.J. Bio from Maryland website

Any thoughts?

195677[/snapback]

I'm all for taking a guard. Tucker is OK, but remember how many time WM had to break tackles in the running game at the line of scrimmage. It's not like huge holes were being opened the majority of the time.

Alabama's left tackle Wesley Britt's is going to be the o-line steal of the draft, and he had a serious leg injury in his history -- TD just might take him!

He is 6-7 1/2 and right around 300 pounds, and he's should pack on some solid pounds this offseason.

He came back from a broken leg in the ninth game of 2003. One titanium rod and a whole lot of rehab later ... TD should love him.

Blocking grades are determined by the percentage of total snaps that the lineman executed his assignment correctly. During Britt's sophomore season, his second as a starter, he finished with 196 knockdown blocks and graded out at 96 percent or better in 12 of the 13 games. Against Ole Miss and LSU that season, Britt graded out at 100 percent and 99 percent against Oklahoma and Auburn.

This year's Outland Troph winner, right tackle Jamal Brown, registered 130 knockdown blocks this season. Right tackles are generally much stronger and larger, meaning that they will register more knockdown blocks in a season. Britt, playing the more finesse-style left tackle, registered 66 more knockdown blocks two years ago than the best right tackle in college football registered this season.

Britt's blocking grades were equally as impressive. A 100 percent grade is a rare feat to accomplish, but more amazing is the 99 percent grade against Oklahoma and Auburn, two of the best defenses in the country.

Of course this was all before the break; however, the stats show that Britt may have lost some of his dominance after the injury. Entering the Tide's bowl game this year, he had registered 63 knockdown blocks in 11 games and graded out 92 percent or better in six of those games.

Now those numbers are still impressive for a left tackle, but there seems to me to be so much potential here.

So was Britt's leg not completely healed and thus factor into his slip in dominance?

"My leg was perfect," Britt said in The Sporting News. "There was nothing wrong with that. It was more of the foot injury I sustained during the Mississippi State game."

Hmm. I can see TD picking him up in the third. It would be a very logical risk.

Check out this story on Nugent.

Tressel was asked how the Buckeyes will press on without Nugent.

“We will miss Mike Nugent a lot,” the coach said. “We will miss his work ethic, his leadership, his class and, of course, his excellence. He made ‘em all tonight. He ended up 24 of 27 or something crazy for the season. But we will miss him more so because he is such a special person.”

----------

Nugent, who ended his career 72 of 88 on field goals ... .

----------

He ended up with 22 Ohio State records. In the Alamo Bowl, he added marks for most career points (356), most career points by an OSU kicker and most field goals made in a bowl game (four).

This guy -- a freakin' kicker -- was selected by his fellow players as team MVP!

He nailed a 55-yarder as time ran out to beat Marshall this year. He followed that with a school record five field goals at North Carolina State the next week.

Out of Nugent's 55 kickoffs in 2004, 34 were in touchbacks.

Both Britt and Brooks would be fine selections in the 2nd round. Count me in the group who thinks that Wesley Britt will be the steal of the draft, that kid is fuggin dominating.

Buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuutttt, I still say draft Mike Nugent with our 2nd rounder. Enough of this Lindell BS, time to get a real weapon for our special teams. Plus, Nugent is widely regarded as the best kicker to come out of college since Janikowski, just without all of the baggage that Sebastian The Drunk came with.

Trust me, if we can get Nugent by our pick in the 2nd, we really should jump on it. Here is a kicker who knows how to kick in crappy weather and is amazingly conssitent. Not to mention uber-clutch in pressure situations. This is our man.

Both Britt and Brooks would be fine selections in the 2nd round.  Count me in the group who thinks that Wesley Britt will be the steal of the draft, that kid is fuggin dominating.

Buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuutttt, I still say draft Mike Nugent with our 2nd rounder.  Enough of this Lindell BS, time to get a real weapon for our special teams.  Plus, Nugent is widely regarded as the best kicker to come out of college since Janikowski, just without all of the baggage that Sebastian The Drunk came with.

Trust me, if we can get Nugent by our pick in the 2nd, we really should jump on it.  Here is a kicker who knows how to kick in crappy weather and is amazingly conssitent.  Not to mention uber-clutch in pressure situations.  This is our man.

195865[/snapback]

I too would be happy with Nugent, Britt or Brooks. All three could help out fast and in places we really could use it.

TD likes players with medical issues. Look for a Punter with a club foot.

195683[/snapback]

maybe you are too young to remember Tom Dempsey....63 yard FG record that held up for a bunch of years. I think Elam tied it.

But this guy with deformed foot and hand sure made a name for himself.

http://www.sportsattic.com/nflphoto/photos3/Dempsey,Tom3.jpg