Pat Morris, O-Line Coach

Chilly

Don't look for a vast improvement in passing or rushing. There is a reason he was not a coach last year. Footballoutsiders.com stats shows the offenses he was involved with were in the bottom half of the NFL. I am now getting a tad apprehensive of the staffing choices.

Relax man. This guy would not have lasted as many years as he has as an OL coach if he didn't know what he was doing. The coaching choices have been solid and they couldn't be any worse than they have been under Gailey the past three years. I look for major improvements this year.

Relax man. This guy would not have lasted as many years as he has as an OL coach if he didn't know what he was doing. The coaching choices have been solid and they couldn't be any worse than they have been under Gailey the past three years. I look for major improvements this year.

pretty sure he was joking..basing his opinion on the OL coach on overall offensive ranking isn't something even a TBD poster would do.

I would like to make some unsupportable statements now.

Wait , let me check my notes..........

I got one just related to me today -- If we didn't eat them, all the chickens would die of cancer--

Not Bills related but seems to me to fit your criteria. I have to get back to my online girlfriend now. She's very ill and it's not looking good.

I got one just related to me today -- If we didn't eat them, all the chickens would die of cancer--

Not Bills related but seems to me to fit your criteria. I have to get back to my online girlfriend now. She's very ill and it's not looking good.

Lol :thumbsup:

Thanks for the heads up about chickens. I did not know that.

last year he coached was not a good sign.

I'm staying my ground of wait and see with this whole operation.

ps sorry about the upcoming loss of your girlfriend . I know you were very close to her

I can write a tome on show stats can be manipulated. What football outsiders do is weigh all factors. I suggest you check out the web site. It is very insightful and shows how net yardage stats are a false read on players. I think Morris falls into the same category as Chan Gailey, He is experienced but was unemployed for a season. The Bills were ripped on TBD by many for the Gailey for this same reason. I question getting rid of a good Offensive line coach, like D'Alessándris , who did a good job with an injury riddle line. I am glad that they are passionate Bills fans who care about the mundane aspects of the team like the hiring of the assistant coaches.

I'm guilty of not looking it up either.... But until someone cares to look into his philosophies and schemes (and personnel) we can only get so far with stats and rankings.

Certainly not my area of expertise but would love some breakdown of his philosophies vs what we did upfront the last couple years.

Edited by NoSaint

I was trying, ratherly poorly I guess, was to show what the Bills and their version of moneyball will look versus the stats associated with Coach Morris' previous stops. Football Outsiders use a very complicated formula to value team stats which can be further extrapolated into individual players. I would like to hear Morris's blocking philosophy and see how will it exploit the skills Spiller and Jackson have while protecting whoever is under center. The Bills have the potential to have a surprisingly good season.

Edited by Nitro

I can write a tome on how stats can be manipulated. What football outsiders do is weigh all factors. I suggest you check out the web site. It is very insightful and shows how net yardage stats are a false read on players. I think Morris falls into the same category as Chan Gailey, He is experienced but was unemployed for a season. The Bills were ripped on TBD by many for the Gailey for this same reason. I question getting rid of a good Offensive line coach, like D'Alessándris , who did a good job with an injury riddle line. I am glad that they are passionate Bills fans who care about the mundane aspects of the team like the hiring of the assistant coaches.

I was trying, ratherly poorly I guess, was to show what the Bills and their version of moneyball will look versus the stats associated with Coach Morris' previous stops. Football Outsiders use a very complicated formula to value team stats which can be further extrapolated into individual players. I would like to hear Morris's blocking philosophy and see how will it exploit the skills Spiller and Jackson have while protecting whoever is under center. The Bills have the potential to have a surprisingly good season.

I liked the job Joe D'Allesandris did also and wish he would have been retained.

But as you saw, I object to flip, unsupported statements which attempt to link the quality of the O-line coach with a few stats without looking at the other coaches, players, and all the other variables which are in play. You basically claimed that the offense wouldn't improve based on what really?

As for advanced stats, metrics, analytics, etc I love them. I don't delve into them and I view them as being in a fairly embryonic place with regards to the NFL (considering they will be around forever).

That said, I am highly suspicious of them. As I've made the point numerous times, who are these people "breaking down the video?" Do all of them have scouting backgrounds or only some of them?

Also, to my knowledge the "All-22" game tapes which scouts use to evaluate players has only been available to the public for one season, this 2012 season via NFL Game Rewind.

So I think it's very likely that many of these advanced stat factories like Football Outsiders, Pro Football Focus, and Cold Hard Football Facts are grading players based on recordings of network televised game coverage, and not the "All 22." I find that a bit problematic in that in many cases, these analysts are only seeing a small part of the picture.

Like I said, I'm excited for the future of consumer available analytics but at this time, I'm very mistrustful of them.

Haven't you heard? The Bills proficiency in sacks allowed has nothing to do with the skill or talent of the blockers and has only to do with Fitz' ability to get rid of the ball quickly.

However when criticizing the Bills new O-line Coach, it apparently becomes valid to point to sack numbers to make the case that he's a bad hire.

Gotcha, Kas.

Are you being sarcastic with that line about Fitz? I certainly hope so. While few people actually do think that, it would have made for a better case in saying two 1st rounders plus an early 2nd rounder were the main reason behind being the least sacked team in the NFL. To me, I don't exactly know how to explain the success of our (now past) OL. Fitz only played a minor role though. For the sake of our future success, I'm going to hope it was due to personnel and had little to do with coaching.

Crediting this guy for Petersons success if like crediting McCoy for Manning's success. Wait, people are doing that.

I wonder about the sacks allowed.

Hmmm. 2011. #1 Buffalo Bills. #11 Tampa Bay Bucs.

2010: #14 Bills, #18 Vikings

2009: #28 Bills, #18 Vikings.

Do I sense a trend here? What was the reason for the meteoric rise of our OL, personnel or coaching?

Haven't you heard? The Bills proficiency in sacks allowed has nothing to do with the skill or talent of the blockers and has only to do with Fitz' ability to get rid of the ball quickly.

However when criticizing the Bills new O-line Coach, it apparently becomes valid to point to sack numbers to make the case that he's a bad hire.

Gotcha, Kas.

BTW two of the three times Morris coached the NFL's top rushing attacks, he was in San Francisco and his lead rushers were Garrison Hearst in 1998 and Charlie Garner in 1999 so your statement about Adrian Peterson is a bit off.

Are you being sarcastic with that line about Fitz? I certainly hope so. While few people actually do think that, it would have made for a better case in saying two 1st rounders plus an early 2nd rounder were the main reason behind being the least sacked team in the NFL. To me, I don't exactly know how to explain the success of our (now past) OL. Fitz only played a minor role though. For the sake of our future success, I'm going to hope it was due to personnel and had little to do with coaching.

Kas, I was being sarcastic about Fitz. I was one of the early and steadfast believers of this offensive line. There are numerous people here who are still very suspicious of how good they really are. Many people believe the "Fitz Theory" and don't believe the Bills O-line is very good at pass protection. IMO, Fitz helped but the line was still good in that area.

What I was objecting to in your post was the idea (as with Nitro) that a few stats (sacks allowed) could paint an accurate picture of what kind of O-line coach Morris is. It's way too simplistic IMO.

That said in re-reading your post it looks like you were using it only as a starting point and that I overreacted. Sorry.

Edited by San Jose Bills Fan