colin powell comments on the republican party

when asked if he was still a republican on "meet the press" yesterday, powell criticized the party for it's inclusion of ex governers using terms like "shuck and jive" and "lazy" to criticize the president. seemed pretty unhappy about it and echoed the need for change if the party is to ever win another national election. anybody hear him? comments? http://www.huffingto..._n_2467768.html

"A few years ago, this guy would have been getting us coffee," - Bill Clinton

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/politics/bill-clinton-told-ted-kennedy-obama-coffee-years-game-change-article-1.197492#ixzz2Hyu4d200

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/politics/bill-clinton-told-ted-kennedy-obama-coffee-years-game-change-article-1.197492

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

and that's the point. much has changed in the party since 96. who is in a better position to judge hostility directed at him; this writer or powell himself? and ya'll don't seem to think he should have a place at the repub table. perhaps the hostility is real?

much has indeed changed.....in '96, Newt was still Speaker and congressional republicans were decidedly more conservative than they are now.

and to use your metaphor, there's plenty of room at the table for Powell, but if he doesn't like anything on the menu, why not go somewhere else?

"A few years ago, this guy would have been getting us coffee," - Bill Clinton

Read more: http://www.nydailyne...2#ixzz2Hyu4d200

http://www.nydailyne...rticle-1.197492

the difference is that kennedy was deeply offended (per this report). and it wasn't said publicly. if it were, ya think rank and file dems would have taken it in silently? but besides powell's complaints, how much republican uproar arose to palin's shuck and jive comment?

the difference is that kennedy was deeply offended (per this report). and it wasn't said publicly. if it were, ya think rank and file dems would have taken it in silently? but besides powell's complaints, how much republican uproar arose to palin's shuck and jive comment?

I see that you gave up on the "lazy" reference. As for Governor Palin's reference to the administrations many explanations for Benghazi as "shucking and jiving".....she was not supported by any Republican for that particular reference that I could find. If you can find one then please supply it.

The point that this is not a Republican problem alone, but just more of your and many others repeated misperception of Republicans as a whole.

Shuck and jive has been used by many on the dem side also, but (of course) that is not as representative of this problem as your one example......................lol

Back in 2008, Hilary Clinton supporter Andrew Cuomo appeared to wrist-slap candidate Obama by noting, “You can’t shuck and jive at a press conference.”

White House press secretary Jay Carney drew criticism for employing the phrase in 2011.

Edited by B-Man

Birdog, what say you about this?

The response will be that the dems self-policed each other........lol

I am much more interested to why he did not respond to your list in Reply #19, showing how General Powell views were different than Republicans.

The response will be that the dems self-policed each other........lol

I am much more interested to why he did not respond to your list in Reply #19, showing how General Powell views were different than Republicans.

I just added one more, make that three :lol:

Edited by Magox

Birdog, what say you about this?

and cuomo was called out for it in, among other places, the huffpost.http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/01/10/hillary-supporter-cuomo-o_n_80914.html? did we see anything similar in the national review about palin? are we likely to?carney was referring to himself and we all know what he looks like. powell made the comment on meet the press that these phrases mean nothing to most non blacks but mean much to blacks. i don't think carney was insulted by his own gaffe.re lazy: the interviewer ( i believe, andrea mitchell) gave sunnunu an opportunity to "take it back". i'm confident he discerned her meaning and the implication. he answered something like "whatever".

re powell's stance on the issues in #19, if it's ok for you to hold some of these positions and call yourself a republican ( or would you reject that label?), why shouldn't it be ok for powell? are you saying he's lying? for what purpose? if he wants to declare himself a dem, there would likely be no objections even though it's likely many of his beliefs wouldn't be fully in line with the dem platform either.

and cuomo was called out for it in, among other places, the huffpost.http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/01/10/hillary-supporter-cuomo-o_n_80914.html? did we see anything similar in the national review about palin? are we likely to?carney was referring to himself and we all know what he looks like. powell made the comment on meet the press that these phrases mean nothing to most non blacks but mean much to blacks. i don't think carney was insulted by his own gaffe.re lazy: the interviewer ( i believe, andrea mitchell) gave sunnunu an opportunity to "take it back". i'm confident he discerned her meaning and the implication. he answered something like "whatever".

One of the things that sickens me the most, are these manufactured "dog whistles" created by leftist race baiters, intended to inflame and create controversy in order to advance their own agenda. I can't stand it, it makes me want to puke.

http://www.thenation.com/article/170841/exclusive-lee-atwaters-infamous-1981-interview-southern-strategy

You start out in 1954 by saying, “!@#$, !@#$, !@#$.” By 1968 you can’t say “!@#$”—that hurts you, backfires. So you say stuff like, uh, forced busing, states’ rights, and all that stuff, and you’re getting so abstract. Now, you’re talking about cutting taxes, and all these things you’re talking about are totally economic things and a byproduct of them is, blacks get hurt worse than whites.… “We want to cut this,” is much more abstract than even the busing thing, uh, and a hell of a lot more abstract than “!@#$, !@#$.”

dems have the bigger tent right now (and in the forseeable future). all you had to do was look at convention attendees to confirm that. there is intolerance in some factions of the dem party but to equate overall tolerance for different cultures, socioeconomic groups and races between the two parties is ridiculous.

Can you cite any examples of the rights broad intolerance in these areas or is this one of those "come on, we all know you hate poor people and minorities" kind of things?

i think the best response to powell's comments (for the country as a whole) would be acknowledgement by the party of at least a problem with perception and a restrained but genuine mea culpa and apology. worse would be an insincere one. what we get is what we expect: a refusal to even see a problem.

http://www.thenation...uthern-strategy

You start out in 1954 by saying, “!@#$, !@#$, !@#$.” By 1968 you can’t say “!@#$”—that hurts you, backfires. So you say stuff like, uh, forced busing, states’ rights, and all that stuff, and you’re getting so abstract. Now, you’re talking about cutting taxes, and all these things you’re talking about are totally economic things and a byproduct of them is, blacks get hurt worse than whites.… “We want to cut this,” is much more abstract than even the busing thing, uh, and a hell of a lot more abstract than “!@#$, !@#$.”

wow. that's one of the most cynical, disgraceful things i've recently read...

I think the best response from Liberals would be to acknowledge that they are bankrupting this country, and a simple acknowledgement by the party of at least a problem with perception and a restrained but genuine mea culpa and apology. Worse would be an insincere one. What we get is what we expect. A refusal to even see a problem.

I think the best response from Liberals would be to acknowledge that they are bankrupting this country, and a simple acknowledgement by the party of at least a problem with perception and a restrained but genuine mea culpa and apology. Worse would be an insincere one. What we get is what we expect. A refusal to even see a problem.

the problem here is an inability to communicate. my strategy wins presidential elections. yours doesn't. one needs to win national elections to effect change.

I think the Dems should admit to the fact that a good share of their party is racist and voted purely against a white man because of his race, while voting for a black man because of his race. This from a party whose many leaders fought against civil rights back 50 years ago, and also vote against the party that ended slavery.

I think the Dems should admit to the fact that a good share of their party is racist and voted purely against a white man because of his race, while voting for a black man because of his race. This from a party whose many leaders fought against civil rights back 50 years ago, and also vote against the party that ended slavery.

ibid. from a purely pragmatic repub stance, see the post above.

As a registered independent who votes like a registered Dem in the current political climate...I would like to apologize for bankrupting the country, being racist, wanting slavery and jim crow, hating jesus and his followers, and all the other wrongs I have helped further which are too many to name. Please accept my apology.