colin powell comments on the republican party

when asked if he was still a republican on "meet the press" yesterday, powell criticized the party for it's inclusion of ex governers using terms like "shuck and jive" and "lazy" to criticize the president. seemed pretty unhappy about it and echoed the need for change if the party is to ever win another national election. anybody hear him? comments? http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/01/13/colin-powell-gop_n_2467768.html

Edited by birdog1960

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

General Powell is a great American and his service to the country is second to none.

As to his comments, its pretty much follows the media line. Concentrating only on examples from the GOP, when there are just as many instances of poor speech in the Democrat party and throughout society, but it depends on who you are, if you are "allowed" to say something or not.. (of course, the question was about the Republicans, because the media assumption is that is where the "problem" is)

I was disappointed that he fell into the Language Police trap of the Left, where criticism of the President has to be racial, and they will make it so, no matter how hard that they have to torture each word.

Lazy is my particular favorite. Yes lazy has been used to unfairly describe some Blacks, just as it has with Mexicans, Irishman, Chinese, and many more.

Perhaps, when the President's work habits are descibed as lazy, it is because it's there for all to see and has been throughout his life.

But its easier for many to just go with the racismtheory because it already fits their own mindset.

again, very disappointing.

Who's Colin Powell but another RINO wanting either the Democrats, or the Democrats masking as Republicans to be in power.

sio i'm guessing you'd rather have palin as a republican spokesman than powell? the first step to solving a problem is acknowledging one...if you're any indication of the republican rank and file then we won't be seeing a repub prez for a long time.

General Powell is a great American and his service to the country is second to none.

As to his comments, its pretty much follows the media line. Concentrating only on examples from the GOP, when there are just as many instances of poor speech in the Democrat party and throughout society, but it depends on who you are, if you are "allowed" to say something or not.. (of course, the question was about the Republicans, because the media assumption is that is where the "problem" is)

I was disappointed that he fell into the Language Police trap of the Left, where criticism of the President has to be racial, and they will make it so, no matter how hard that they have to torture each word.

Lazy is my particular favorite. Yes lazy has been used to unfairly describe some Blacks, just as it has with Mexicans, Irishman, Chinese, and many more.

Perhaps, when the President's work habits are descibed as lazy, it is because it's there for all to see and has been throughout his life.

But its easier for many to just go with the racismtheory because it already fits their own mindset.

again, very disappointing.

the "dark vein of intolerance" is therefore, only a manifestation of powell's thin skin or a figment of his imagination?

Edited by birdog1960

the "dark vein of intolerance" is therefore, only a manifestation of powell's thin skin or a figment of his imagination?

No. Not a manifestation. There are certainly many in the Republican party who have intolerant views.

BUT....and its a big one.

IT solely depends on the subject at hand.

I would venture to say that the Democrat party demonstrates far more intolerant views (and has throughout its history) to those who do not toe the party line (lol.........I bet the language police could somehow say that prase is bigoted)

Let me know when the Party of "choice" lets a pro-life speaker talk at their convention.................

Let me know when conservative Blacks, or conservative women aren't called traitors, uncle Toms, or other horrible epithets by those 'liberal" minded.............without fear of criticism from our media.

General powell may have been asked about the GOP, but his response about "intolerance" applies to the Democrat party just as easily.

It just won't be commented on that way.

Edited by B-Man

sio i'm guessing you'd rather have palin as a republican spokesman than powell? the first step to solving a problem is acknowledging one...if you're any indication of the republican rank and file then we won't be seeing a repub prez for a long time.

Guess all you want. Put words in my mouth. Assume. Be yourself.

No. Not a manifestation. There are certainly many in the Republican party who have intolerant views.

BUT....and its a big one.

IT solely depends on the subject at hand.

I would venture to say that the Democrat party demonstrates far more intolerant views (and has throughout its history) to those who do not toe the party line (lol.........I bet the language police could somehow say that prase is bigoted)

Let me know when the Party of "choice" lets a pro-life speaker talk at their convention.................

Let me know when conservative Blacks, or conservative women aren't called traitors, uncle Toms, or other horrible epithets by those 'liberal" minded.............without fear of criticism from our media.

General powell may have been asked about the GOP, but his response about "intolerance" applies to the Democrat party just as easily.

It just won't be commented on that way.

dems have the bigger tent right now (and in the forseeable future). all you had to do was look at convention attendees to confirm that. there is intolerance in some factions of the dem party but to equate overall tolerance for different cultures, socioeconomic groups and races between the two parties is ridiculous.

dems have the bigger tent right now (and in the forseeable future). all you had to do was look at convention attendees to confirm that. there is intolerance in some factions of the dem party but to equate overall tolerance for different cultures, socioeconomic groups and races between the two parties is ridiculous.

No.

It is not ridiculous...........intolerance is intolerance.

being bigoted against a person beliefs are just as bad as their ethnicity.

and I also reject your "assigning" tolerance for different cultures, socioeconomic groups and races to the dems, they are as bad as any other collective group in that regard.

and (sadly) your claim of proof of that wrongful assertion by saying "look at their conventions" is really rather laughable. You know that those delegates are picked right?.............They are no more a percentage makeup of the Democrat Party then the GOP is of theirs.

No.

It is not ridiculous...........intolerance is intolerance.

being bigoted against a person beliefs are just as bad as their ethnicity.

and I also reject your "assigning" tolerance for different cultures, socioeconomic groups and races to the dems, they are as bad as any other collective group in that regard.

and (sadly) your claim of proof of that wrongful assertion by saying "look at their conventions" is really rather laughable. You know that those delegates are picked right?.............They are no more a percentage makeup of the Democrat Party then the GOP is of theirs.

so you're saying the demographic make up, in regards to racial and socioeconomic diversity, is the same in both parties?

Edited by birdog1960

so you're saying the demographic make up, in regards to racial and socioeconomic diversity, is the same in both parties?

No.

I am saying no such thing. But the very fact that there are more Blacks, or Gays, or you name the group, in the Democrat party, certainly does not equate to a greater "intolerance" in the Republican Party.

Look, you seem to have some very set views on this. All that I am contesting is the rather automatic, foolish and MEDIA-Driven meme that the GOP is full of ant-black, anti-poor members.

What is different is the beliefs on how best to help different groups. Black families are falling apart, have more abortions, have more problems finding jobs. Shall we then just continue the "helpful" government policies of the past 5 decades?

The poor need more than just government handouts, everyone agrees on this, but when the GOP then proposes ANYTHING, they are automatically dismissed as heartless and cruel.

Again. I do not think that I will change any minds, but when a thread or post here starts with the premise that "everyone knows that the Republicans are bigoted" I will treat it with the disrespect that such a post deserves.

Thanks.

No.

I am saying no such thing. But the very fact that there are more Blacks, or Gays, or you name the group, in the Democrat party, certainly does not equate to a greater "intolerance" in the Republican Party.

Look, you seem to have some very set views on this. All that I am contesting is the rather automatic, foolish and MEDIA-Driven meme that the GOP is full of ant-black, anti-poor members.

What is different is the beliefs on how best to help different groups. Black families are falling apart, have more abortions, have more problems finding jobs. Shall we then just continue the "helpful" government policies of the past 5 decades?

The poor need more than just government handouts, everyone agrees on this, but when the GOP then proposes ANYTHING, they are automatically dismissed as heartless and cruel.

Again. I do not think that I will change any minds, but when a thread or post here starts with the premise that "everyone knows that the Republicans are bigoted" I will treat it with the disrespect that such a post deserves.

Thanks.

the thread began with an accurate paraphrase of a prominent, moderate republican. he seems somewhat disillusioned and dissatisfied with some aspects of the party while confirming his continued membership. the point of the thread was to get a reading on everyday republicans opinions on the need for change in such matters. i've got a good reading on yours and 3rd's. thanks.

Edited by birdog1960

he seems somewhat disillusioned and dissatisfied with some aspects of the party while confirming his continued membership.

If Colin Powell was truly still a member of the Republican party, he NEVER would have endorsed Barack Obama when he was running against John McCain.

McCain is so moderate he makes Powell look like a Tea Party member.

Sorry. Powell is no more a Republican than Cindy Sheehan. I just wish he'd stop saying he was one so the Huffington Post would stop quoting him as one.

the thread began with an accurate paraphrase of a prominent, moderate republican. he seems somewhat disillusioned and dissatisfied with some aspects of the party while confirming his continued membership. the point of the thread was to get a reading on everyday republicans opinions on the need for change in such matters. i've got a good reading on yours and 3rd's. thanks.

Seems more like you have a good reading of what your opinion is of your conjecture relating to our opinions.

If Colin Powell was truly still a member of the Republican party, he NEVER would have endorsed Barack Obama when he was running against John McCain.

McCain is so moderate he makes Powell look like a Tea Party member.

Sorry. Powell is no more a Republican than Cindy Sheehan. I just wish he'd stop saying he was one so the Huffington Post would stop quoting him as one.

is that because he has changed or because the party has? i know more than a few ex republicans (yes, i was one) who no longer recognize the party that they once belonged to.

is that because he has changed or because the party has? i know more than a few ex republicans (yes, i was one) who no longer recognize the party that they once belonged to.

Yes, and I know more than a few ex Democrats who no longer recognize the party they once belonged to. You're trying to create a meme where one should not exist, but because the world of the HuffPost and DailyKos is overfilled with non-thinkers like yourself, the story continues regardless of how little substance there is.

I have a HuffPost chucklehead friend in NJ whose latest contribution to Facebook was a list of all Republicans who voted against the Sandy bill. I asked him if he had a similar list of all the Democrats who voted for the Bill because they had pork in it and he disappeared for two weeks.

This is your Huffpost world. Seeing only what you're told to see. And you're told to see a black Republican criticizing his party when all you've done is found another Cindy Sheehan to report on. I know it makes libs like yourself feel better, but the only people who see what you see are the very people who are unable to think for themselves.

Unfortunately, I do not think that this is the case.

You posted something that you thought confirmed your own prejudices. "See, Colin Powell agrees that the GOP is racist"

When I gave you arguments against this, you became dismissive because it doesn't match the "narrative"

Here is a good example of your mindset;..............Obama Czar Rattner: Colin Powell Feels 'Hostility' From GOP Because He's Black

http://newsbusters.org/blogs/mark-finkelstein/2013/01/14/obama-czar-rattner-colin-powell-feels-hostility-gop-because-hes-bl#ixzz2HydwVwWV

Oh those racist Republicans. Did you know that they're hostile to Colin Powell because he's black? Yup, just ask former Obama car czar Steve Rattner. The Morning Joe regular today claimed that poor Powell "feels this hostility toward him from the rest of the party in part because he's a minority."

Really? Colin Powell feels hostility from "the rest of the party" because he's a minority?

The Colin Powell for whom so many in the GOP were clamoring to run for president in 1995-96?

The Powell who actually won the 1996 New Hampshire primary—as a write-in!—after he had withdrawn his name from consideration?

That Colin Powell? Please.

Lets see here.

1) Powell Endorses Climate Change legislation Cap and Trade

2) Powell Endorses higher taxes on the wealthy

3) Powell Endorsed the ACA

4) Powell Endorses the closing of Guantanamo Bay

5) Powell Endorses further restrictions on Guns

6) Powell Supports socially liberal positions

7) Powell Endorses the Dream Act

8) Powell Endorsed Obama over McCain

9) Powell Endorsed Obama over Romney

10) Powell hears the same "dog whistles" that the MSNBC crew hears

11) Powell shifts his position on Gay Marriage

12) Powell shifts his position on DADT

(I also support some of these positions as well, but this is just to illustrate examples of Powell's positions over the past five years)

Sorry, but Powell is no Moderate Republican. He's a liberal. Nothing wrong with that, that's just how he views things, but let's not pretend he is a "moderate republican", all he does by claiming to be one is provide cover for the president.

Over the past five years, he's made a substantial shift to the left.

Edited by Magox

Unfortunately, I do not think that this is the case.

You posted something that you thought confirmed your own prejudices. "See, Colin Powell agrees that the GOP is racist"

When I gave you arguments against this, you became dismissive because it doesn't match the "narrative"

Here is a good example of your mindset;..............Obama Czar Rattner: Colin Powell Feels 'Hostility' From GOP Because He's Black

http://newsbusters.o...l#ixzz2HydwVwWV

Oh those racist Republicans. Did you know that they're hostile to Colin Powell because he's black? Yup, just ask former Obama car czar Steve Rattner. The Morning Joe regular today claimed that poor Powell "feels this hostility toward him from the rest of the party in part because he's a minority."

Really? Colin Powell feels hostility from "the rest of the party" because he's a minority?

The Colin Powell for whom so many in the GOP were clamoring to run for president in 1995-96?

The Powell who actually won the 1996 New Hampshire primary—as a write-in!—after he had withdrawn his name from consideration?

That Colin Powell? Please.

and that's the point. much has changed in the party since 96. who is in a better position to judge hostility directed at him; this writer or powell himself? and ya'll don't seem to think he should have a place at the repub table. perhaps the hostility is real?