colin powell comments on the republican party

the problem here is an inability to communicate. my strategy wins presidential elections. yours doesn't. one needs to win national elections to effect change.

Holy crap, this was an absurdly infantile statement to make.. You sound like a petulant 13 year old. You do know that the vast majority of presidents win when they are the incumbent don't you? All he has done was won re election and here you are boasting this ordinary occurrence as if it were Phil Jackson coaching the Bulls during their Dynasty. :worthy:

Edited by Magox

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i think the best response to powell's comments (for the country as a whole) would be acknowledgement by the party of at least a problem with perception and a restrained but genuine mea culpa and apology. worse would be an insincere one. what we get is what we expect: a refusal to even see a problem.

LOL, exactly what I said.

There is no "refusal to see the problem"

You only read "what you expect to read"

The GOP should apologize....................as if that would accomplish anything.

and everything else is just poor communication.

You are a hoot...............

Holy crap, this was an absurdly infantile statement to make.. You sound like a petulant 13 year old. You do know that the vast majorities of presidents win when they are the incumbent don't you? All he has done was won re election and here you are boasting this ordinary occurrence as if it were Phil Jackson coaching the Bulls during their Dynasty. :worthy:

"it's the demographics, stupid" should be the new mantra. how that isn't being seen is beyond me.

As a registered independent who votes like a registered Dem in the current political climate...I would like to apologize for bankrupting the country, being racist, wanting slavery and jim crow, hating jesus and his followers, and all the other wrongs I have helped further which are too many to name. Please accept my apology.

Do you speak for TheNewBills too? I'd hate to leave you an out to disavow your mea culpa in the future.

the problem here is an inability to communicate. my strategy wins presidential elections. yours doesn't. one needs to win national elections to effect change.

Wait. I thought Obama was unable to effect change as president because the Republicans were the party of obstruction. So are you saying that Obama is unable to address unemployment, a stagnant economy and is spending us into oblivion simply because he's incompetent?

Whattaya know. We finally agree on something.

i think the best response to powell's comments (for the country as a whole) would be acknowledgement by the party of at least a problem with perception and a restrained but genuine mea culpa and apology. worse would be an insincere one. what we get is what we expect: a refusal to even see a problem.

Birdog why would you want to give the GOP any advice, let them figure it out for themselves or die as a relevant party- as for Colin Powell, I like the guy but he's way too late on things, he has his finger in the wind testing testing testing- does the GOP Have a reactionary sect that is determined to re-fight the 1960s culture wars? like duh, all these !@#$ers are so reasonable after they're done with politics, when they are in they just toe the party line no matter how stupid.

Edited by ....lybob

Do you speak for TheNewBills too? I'd hate to leave you an out to disavow your mea culpa in the future.

hehe...why do you struggle with this so much...yes I do I am him as everybody knows...this IS that account...the name as changed...pick up on it...all posts of "thenewbills" now are labeled "sameoldbills"...it's complicated...

hehe...why do you struggle with this so much...yes I do I am him as everybody knows...this IS that account...the name as changed...pick up on it...all posts of "thenewbills" now are labeled "sameoldbills"...it's complicated...

I was just busting your balls, Mr. Flip-Flopper.

Birdog why would you want to give the GOP any advice, let them figure it out for themselves or die as a relevant party- as for Colin Powell, I like the guy but he's way too late on things, he has his finger in the wind testing testing testing- does the GOP Have a reactionary sect that is determined to re-fight the 1960s culture wars? like duh, all these !@#$ers are so reasonable after they're done with politics, when they are in they just tow the party line no matter how stupid.

What are they "towing" with that party line?

General Powell is a great American and his service to the country is second to none.

As to his comments, its pretty much follows the media line. Concentrating only on examples from the GOP, when there are just as many instances of poor speech in the Democrat party and throughout society, but it depends on who you are, if you are "allowed" to say something or not.. (of course, the question was about the Republicans, because the media assumption is that is where the "problem" is)

I was disappointed that he fell into the Language Police trap of the Left, where criticism of the President has to be racial, and they will make it so, no matter how hard that they have to torture each word.

Lazy is my particular favorite. Yes lazy has been used to unfairly describe some Blacks, just as it has with Mexicans, Irishman, Chinese, and many more.

Perhaps, when the President's work habits are descibed as lazy, it is because it's there for all to see and has been throughout his life.

But its easier for many to just go with the racismtheory because it already fits their own mindset.

again, very disappointing.

perfectly stated

i get asked by my republican friends if i think the tea party is racist and i say while i do think some of their resistance is related to race i wouldnt go as far as to call it racism because really its just clanship and race is now coincidental. iow, race bias used to be about skin color demonstrating inferiority, now its just about 'that group' which is at odds with their agenda

i too am disappointed with general powells thinly veiled reference to race. we are living at a time (and have been for a while) where black folks are given a free pass on many things, including their exclusive use of the racism label, and the alleged inability for blacks to be racist. these are both very bad things and dont do any of us any good - especially black folks

playing the race card there is irresponsible and really only hurts the cause - the cause being to isolate real racism. if we allow prominent black folks and those aligned with them to play that race card there we muddy the waters and dont get to the heart of the real problem, wasting time and effort on something that will not be a return on our investment

i really like general powell but he should not have gone there. throw him into the pile with spike lee and the black nfl-ers saying rg3 isnt black enough. shameful and unfortunate

Wait. I thought Obama was unable to effect change as president because the Republicans were the party of obstruction. So are you saying that Obama is unable to address unemployment, a stagnant economy and is spending us into oblivion simply because he's incompetent?

Whattaya know. We finally agree on something.

Um, no. It's necessary but not sufficient.

perfectly stated

i get asked by my republican friends if i think the tea party is racist and i say while i do think some of their resistance is related to race i wouldnt go as far as to call it racism because really its just clanship and race is now coincidental. iow, race bias used to be about skin color demonstrating inferiority, now its just about 'that group' which is at odds with their agenda

i too am disappointed with general powells thinly veiled reference to race. we are living at a time (and have been for a while) where black folks are given a free pass on many things, including their exclusive use of the racism label, and the alleged inability for blacks to be racist. these are both very bad things and dont do any of us any good - especially black folks

playing the race card there is irresponsible and really only hurts the cause - the cause being to isolate real racism. if we allow prominent black folks and those aligned with them to play that race card there we muddy the waters and dont get to the heart of the real problem, wasting time and effort on something that will not be a return on our investment

i really like general powell but he should not have gone there. throw him into the pile with spike lee and the black nfl-ers saying rg3 isnt black enough. shameful and unfortunate

:thumbsup: Consider me impressed, Mr. Head.

Thought you might have read same old bills lee Atwater link. Not broad enough for you?

I'm not even sure what he's saying, exactly, in that quote as I don't know the context. But regardless of that, no, some comments by 1 Republican strategist made over 30 years ago doesn't really bring your point home for me.

perfectly stated

What constitutes a "race card"? Is bringing to light Atwater's southern strategy playing the race card? Ask yourself what Powell hopes to gain complaining about such things as an avowed repub. You must either conclude that he's lying about his allegiance or truly finds this kind of thing damaging to himself, his party and/or the country. I'd bet on his concern for the country.

I'm not even sure what he's saying, exactly, in that quote as I don't know the context. But regardless of that, no, some comments by 1 Republican strategist made over 30 years ago doesn't really bring your point home for me.

hardly "1 republican". rove and atwater were contemporaries in the college republicans, crossing the country together in a ford pinto http://en.wikipedia....iki/Lee_Atwater. you can't possibly deny rove's continued influence in the party and by extension, i would argue, atwater's. some even argue that atwater wrote the current republican playbook, albeit with less successful current execution. his legacy in the current party is ever evident.http://www.alternet.org/story/102994/the_lee_atwater_story%3A_meet_the_man_responsible_for_karl_rove_and_the_gop's_hate-driven_politics Edited by birdog1960

hardly "1 republican". rove and atwater were contemporaries in the college republicans, crossing the country together in a ford pinto http://en.wikipedia....iki/Lee_Atwater. you can't possibly deny rove's continued influence in the party and by extension, i would argue, atwater's. some even argue that atwater wrote the current republican playbook, albeit with less successful current execution. his legacy in the current party is ever evident.http://www.alternet....driven_politics

None of this changes the fact that you're basing your argument that the conservative movement in America is overwhelmingly intolerant of poor, minorities, etc. on a comment made over 30 years ago. That's weak.

From what I gathered from his comments, he was explaining political strategy on how to win pockets of states and how the racial aspect of that strategy evolved over time. I don't quite see how this solidifies your stance. In fact, in light of the way he explains that overt racism fell out of favor between the 50s and 60s I'd say this runs counter to your conclusion.

None of this changes the fact that you're basing your argument that the conservative movement in America is overwhelmingly intolerant of poor, minorities, etc. on a comment made over 30 years ago. That's weak.

From what I gathered from his comments, he was explaining political strategy on how to win pockets of states and how the racial aspect of that strategy evolved over time. I don't quite see how this solidifies your stance. In fact, in light of the way he explains that overt racism fell out of favor between the 50s and 60s I'd say this runs counter to your conclusion.

palin and sunnunu aren't the brightest of disciples. maybe they missed the memo on subtle racism. notably, you don't hear rove saying similar things in similar ways. btw, did you note the atwater/rove/schmidt/palin link? it's a pretty small knitting circle.

palin and sunnunu aren't the brightest of disciples. maybe they missed the memo on subtle racism. notably, you don't hear rove saying similar things in similar ways. btw, did you note the atwater/rove/schmidt/palin link? it's a pretty small knitting circle.

If this is all you've got I'm through discussing it. This is just you reinforcing your prejudices. I'd think a doctor would take a more scientific approach.