A tough commentary about Buffalo (sorta Bills-related)

http://www.buffalonews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20130112/CITYANDREGION/130119679

"Here’s the plot: a Bills general manager with the first overall pick in the NFL draft wheels and deals to restock his roster and restore the franchise to respectability. That’s the storyline for the screenplay “Draft Day.”'

'The film could be shot outside of Buffalo thanks to the high costs of producing films upstate, particularly in the Buffalo area.'

'Sources told The News, however, that Ohio, Michigan, Georgia and Louisiana are among the locations being seriously considered as Buffalo alternatives.'

'High production costs were the chief reason Matt Damon told the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette last week that his recently released movie about hyrdrofracking, “Promised Land,” was filmed in metropolitan Pittsburgh instead of upstate New York. It also weighed heavily into why Keanu Reeve’s 2010 movie “Henry’s Crime,” which was set in Buffalo, was filmed mostly downstate.'

'“Quite honestly, Buffalo is one of the most expensive places to shoot a union movie,” one source told The News.'

'They could very easily shoot it in Canada and ... it could make it look like Buffalo,” said Siegel, using exterior shots of Buffalo-area landmarks and the like.'

'Several factors are at play that seem to stack the deck against the Queen City, including the costs of travel, per diem costs and a dearth of local crew members represented by the International Alliance of Theatrical and Stage Employees, the union representing professional stagehands, motion picture technicians and allied crafts. Because so many of those members reside in New York City, they would have to travel and be housed in the Buffalo Niagara region.'

Tough commentary is right... It is the union's fault, but the union has no ties to Buffalo. Say what? Seems only one thing and one thing only is driving up the cost filming in Buffalo and that is Buffalo's location as an "outpost" on the Niagara Frontier:

'Several factors are at play that seem to stack the deck against the Queen City, including the costs of travel, per diem costs and a dearth of local crew members represented by the International Alliance of Theatrical and Stage Employees, the union representing professional stagehands, motion picture technicians and allied crafts. Because so many of those members reside in New York City, they would have to travel and be housed in the Buffalo Niagara region.'

Man this is rough... Now unions without any ties to Buffalo are hurting Buffalo... Go figure! Damn if you do, damn if you don't...

We all know what the International Alliance of Theatrical and Stage Employees make pales in comparison to what the actors and the directors make. The real problem is when the likes of Matt Damon demand to be paid upwords of 20 million a movie and it cuts into the profit the easiest thing to do is blame the union worker who makes peanuts.

No one goes to see a movie because they like the work a particular stagehand does, they go because Matt Damon is in the movie. Matt Damon is worth whatever he demands because he puts asses in seats. The stagehand is just lucky Matt Damon exists, because otherwise he wouldn't have a job. End of story.

No one goes to see a movie because they like the work a particular stagehand does, they go because Matt Damon is in the movie. Matt Damon is worth whatever he demands because he puts asses in seats. The stagehand is just lucky Matt Damon exists, because otherwise he wouldn't have a job. End of story.

True to a point. Asses won't end up in those seats even with Matt Damon on the big screen if the production sucks and they have to skimp on where the film is shot. Maybe early on in the film industry they could pull it off...

True to a point. Asses won't end up in those seats even with Matt Damon on the big screen if the production sucks and they have to skimp on where the film is shot. Maybe early on in the film industry they could pull it off...

Economic runaway productions are by no means a new phenomenon. Such productions have existed to a greater or lesser degree depending on the historical context. But producing offshore may often have created at least as many problems as it aimed to solve. The movie adaptation of Lew Wallace’s Ben Hur provides a noteworthy example from as early as 1925. The film was produced first by Samuel Goldwyn, then by his new company, the soon renowned Metro Goldwyn Mayer. Fred Niblo was named director and the decision was made to shoot the film in Italy for artistic reasons. This second adaptation of Wallace’s novel represented a capital investment hitherto unheard of. Yet the budget notwithstanding, the shooting turned out to be an unmitigated disaster. During the famous naval battle scene, the galleys caught fire: many extras, their costumes ablaze, had to dive into the water. Unfortunately, some of them were unable to swim and a dozen of them perished. Adding to this tragic event, technical constraints forced the operation back to the United States in Hollywood, where new sets had to be built. Even if the audience was impressed by the chariot race, the company never recouped its colossal expenses. In fact, the movie would become the epitome of how unprepared the company had been for the artistic, financial and technical challenges of such runaway productions.Though Italy already boasted a powerful motion picture industry at that time, Hollywood producers would henceforth be reluctant to relocate their production abroad for fear of uncertain costs. International runaway productions would be extremely rare in the decades to come.

Edited by tomato can

Economic runaway productions are by no means a new phenomenon. Such productions have existed to a greater or lesser degree depending on the historical context. But producing offshore may often have created at least as many problems as it aimed to solve. The movie adaptation of Lew Wallace’s Ben Hur provides a noteworthy example from as early as 1925. The film was produced first by Samuel Goldwyn, then by his new company, the soon renowned Metro Goldwyn Mayer. Fred Niblo was named director and the decision was made to shoot the film in Italy for artistic reasons. This second adaptation of Wallace’s novel represented a capital investment hitherto unheard of. Yet the budget notwithstanding, the shooting turned out to be an unmitigated disaster. During the famous naval battle scene, the galleys caught fire: many extras, their costumes ablaze, had to dive into the water. Unfortunately, some of them were unable to swim and a dozen of them perished. Adding to this tragic event, technical constraints forced the operation back to the United States in Hollywood, where new sets had to be built. Even if the audience was impressed by the chariot race, the company never recouped its colossal expenses. In fact, the movie would become the epitome of how unprepared the company had been for the artistic, financial and technical challenges of such runaway productions.Though Italy already boasted a powerful motion picture industry at that time, Hollywood producers would henceforth be reluctant to relocate their production abroad for fear of uncertain costs. International runaway productions would be extremely rare in the decades to come.

Hey tomato can: "I like the cut of your jib!" :-)

http://youtube.com/#/watch?v=iDPwBN_IKxs&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DiDPwBN_IKxs

What does TMZ stand for? 30 mile zone... Any wonder why they (Hollywood) would stick to ALL the filming there years ago?

What does BFLO and WNY have @ fault in this card game? Seems like nothing... They appear to be a victim of circumstance...

If it wants to be an industry leader, there's certainly things to be done.... But I don't think you can expect a city to be everything to every industry. Such is life on this one.

If it wants to be an industry leader, there's certainly things to be done.... But I don't think you can expect a city to be everything to every industry. Such is life on this one.

I've been gone from the area a long time, so this is a sincere question....how many different industries are thriving nowadays in WNY due to support of the state & local governments?

Man, that's one loaded question...

To sort of answer, the medical corridor is one of the truly dynamic (for buffalo) growth areas, and it was a combination of state and local resources that helped create a foundation that has attracted 50 private companies to that area. Another important state initiative is the historic tax credit which has helped developers restore some of Buffalo's fantastic architecture. If you haven't seen it, the next time you are back in town, stay at the Lafayette Hotel--you will be floored if you saw how decrepit it used to be. The water front is moving forward rapidly, which is a tribute to the community's input and stopping the idiotic Bass pro development. The city awarded Pegula and the Sabres the development of the Webster block (next to the arena) and they are building a complex that will include a hotel and several ice rinks. The old state Donavan Building next door is being refurbished into a hotel and retail space. In two years, downtown will be radically different in a very good way.

As a native Californian, I'm actually very happy fate brought me to WNY.

http://www.bnmc.org/innovation/private-companies-on-the-bnmc/

http://thehotellafayette.com/

http://www.buffalorising.com/2012/05/donovan-makeover-plans-get-city-ok.html

http://www.buffalorising.com/2012/06/just-three-proposals-for-prime-canal-side-site.html

http://www.buffalorising.com/2012/10/construction-watch-inner-harbor.html

We all know what the International Alliance of Theatrical and Stage Employees make pales in comparison to what the actors and the directors make. The real problem is when the likes of Matt Damon demand to be paid upwords of 20 million a movie and it cuts into the profit the easiest thing to do is blame the union worker who makes peanuts.

Way to totally miss the point comrade. Messrs Damon & Reeves will make their nickel no matter where the movie is shot - they're the ones who sell the tickets. Yet the union brotherhood is perfectly happy to see film production move to other states or countries, because heaven forbid a non-union stage hand lifts a hammer.

To sort of answer, the medical corridor is one of the truly dynamic (for buffalo) growth areas, and it was a combination of state and local resources that helped create a foundation that has attracted 50 private companies to that area. Another important state initiative is the historic tax credit which has helped developers restore some of Buffalo's fantastic architecture. If you haven't seen it, the next time you are back in town, stay at the Lafayette Hotel--you will be floored if you saw how decrepit it used to be. The water front is moving forward rapidly, which is a tribute to the community's input and stopping the idiotic Bass pro development. The city awarded Pegula and the Sabres the development of the Webster block (next to the arena) and they are building a complex that will include a hotel and several ice rinks. The old state Donavan Building next door is being refurbished into a hotel and retail space. In two years, downtown will be radically different in a very good way.

http://www.bnmc.org/...es-on-the-bnmc/

http://www.buffalori...et-city-ok.html

http://www.buffalori...-side-site.html

http://www.buffalori...ner-harbor.html

I get that maybe some nice things are happening, but are there any tax generating businesses that create tangible assests coming to town? Medical and service industries are not stand alone. They need to be supported by manufacturing or they're just a turned down grant or tax credit away from closure. You should get a job hawking Hoovers---everything you pontificate on is in a vacuum.

I get that maybe some nice things are happening, but are there any tax generating businesses that create tangible assests coming to town? Medical and service industries are not stand alone. They need to be supported by manufacturing or they're just a turned down grant or tax credit away from closure. You should get a job hawking Hoovers---everything you pontificate on is in a vacuum.

And you should get your g-e-d dopey.

I was addressing Azalin's question, so blow.

Yet the union brotherhood is perfectly happy to see film production move to other states or countries, because heaven forbid a non-union stage hand lifts a hammer.

What is striking here is how little has been done to encourage producers, who are plainly responsible for the situation, to review their practices. IATSE has been reluctant to go on strike in recent years even if such a decision is hard to make given the numerous legal obstacles that prevent workers from taking this step. It is also obvious that internal bureaucratic procedures and the lack of autonomy within IATSE local unions act to dissuade the rank and file from launching such movements. In addition, actors’ or writers’ strikes have already demonstrated how weak solidarity between Hollywood unions actually is. In 1960, the Screen Actors’ Guild went on strike over television residuals. As soon as the movement began, IATSE president Richard Walsh was concerned about possible unemployment among his members. He did not hesitate to order IATSE workers to cross actors’ picket lines.

I've been gone from the area a long time, so this is a sincere question....how many different industries are thriving nowadays in WNY due to support of the state & local governments?

I couldn't answer that, but I'd feel safe saying Hollywood filming probably wouldn't be at the top of the list of places those efforts should go.

Living in New Orleans I've actually got to see lots of the efforts to develop "Hollywood south." It's been interesting to be around. They definitely do throw cash around but I worry a bit that it can dry up quickly as its so project based. Right now there's a lot of public investing in training programs, facilities, etc.... If even 1 or 2 studios decides they are sour on the city it can all be over on just a few days notice though, without huge roots in the area.

It's a bit less sexy but down here I think the biomedical stuff has been a lot more stable and productive to invest public resources in. Way better than entertainment - which I'd chalk up as a nice perk to take when you can get.

Edited by NoSaint

http://www.bnmc.org/innovation/private-companies-on-the-bnmc/

http://www.buffalorising.com/2012/05/donovan-makeover-plans-get-city-ok.html

http://www.buffalorising.com/2012/06/just-three-proposals-for-prime-canal-side-site.html

http://www.buffalorising.com/2012/10/construction-watch-inner-harbor.html

well, it wasn't intended to be as loaded a question as I see it is in retrospect. I grew up outside of Buffalo, and lived there until I was 24. I remember an awful lot of industry closing when I was a kid.....steel mills, chemical plants, textile factories, etc. it was getting to be pretty damned difficult to get a decent paying job anywhere around there, and having no formal skills at the time, I finally moved to North Carolina in 1982. I remember my parents and grandparents complaining about how incredibly high the property taxes were in the town of Amherst....which seemed to me to be just about as bad as anywhere else in Erie County.

one thing that seems apparent to me after having lived in North Carolina for 8 years and now Texas for 24 years is that quality of life completely depends on what kind of opportunities are available where you live, and that the amount of opportunity available directly depends on the climate for business. if regulatory restrictions and taxes are relatively light, it's much easier for businesses to start up and to stay afloat. the more regulation and taxation come into play, the more difficult the business climate becomes, and the less profitable businesses become. I have no formal education in economics or business....this is based wholly on my own personal observations and experience. I think it's sad that WNY, and especially the city of Buffalo have been through so many years of difficulty.....despite the ungodly winters there, I still have many wonderful memories of the place, and I would love to see the city turn around and thrive once again. instead of just dismissing the idea outright, why not compare New York's tax codes and regulations to those of Texas, see what Texas is doing that maybe New York could adopt themselves? there's obviously SOMETHING working for Texas. people study successful businesses in order to develop a winning strategy or model of their own, so why would this be any different?

Edited by Azalin

well, it wasn't intended to be as loaded a question as I see it is in retrospect. I grew up outside of Buffalo, and lived there until I was 24. I remember an awful lot of industry closing when I was a kid.....steel mills, chemical plants, textile factories, etc. it was getting to be pretty damned difficult to get a decent paying job anywhere around there, and having no formal skills at the time, I finally moved to North Carolina in 1982. I remember my parents and grandparents complaining about how incredibly high the property taxes were in the town of Amherst....which seemed to me to be just about as bad as anywhere else in Erie County.

one thing that seems apparent to me after having lived in North Carolina for 8 years and now Texas for 24 years is that quality of life completely depends on what kind of opportunities are available where you live, and that the amount of opportunity available directly depends on the climate for business. if regulatory restrictions and taxes are relatively light, it's much easier for businesses to start up and to stay afloat. the more regulation and taxation come into play, the more difficult the business climate becomes, and the less profitable businesses become. I have no formal education in economics or business....this is based wholly on my own personal observations and experience. I think it's sad that WNY, and especially the city of Buffalo have been through so many years of difficulty.....despite the ungodly winters there, I still have many wonderful memories of the place, and I would love to see the city turn around and thrive once again. instead of just dismissing the idea outright, why not compare New York's tax codes and regulations to those of Texas, see what Texas is doing that maybe New York could adopt themselves? there's obviously SOMETHING working for Texas. people study successful businesses in order to develop a winning strategy or model of their own, so why would this be any different?

I hear what you are saying. I am sorta in the same boat, but 10 years younger... Yet, I moved to the MidWest, Iowa first and then the Illinois. Forget about BFLO/WNY and the NYS situation, there are too many other things that came into play the way WNY economies have shaken out. It would be a better comparison if we look @ the differences between major players in the game... Say the comparison between the New York City metro area and Texas. Or the ChicagoLand area and Texas... Maybe even better yet, a part of that Chicago area... Northwest Indiana (even know as a state Indiana is in line with the low tax structure states like Texas) compared to states like Texas.