The Hogettes from Washington are calling it quits

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes I am sure if you " Pack Cheese" for a living you might be offended by that name & "Cheese Head" could also be offensive

Yes "Redskin" was once used as a derogatory term but this is what I mean, first it will be offensive terms, then next it will be any & everything

we already live in a PC dominated society, where now compliments are saw as bad taste, how far do want to got down that road till you can't turn back

It's pretty awful that you prefer some stupid pointless tradition over changing the obviously offensive nickname.

What slippery slope are you afraid of? That all of the offensive nicknames would be changed? What a disaster that would be!

The difference is that "Redskin" was once used as a derogatory term. "Seminole" is the actual name of the tribe (and, incidentally, the Seminole nation gave it's stamp of approval to it). I think taking away the "Fighting Illini" (which the NCAA did) was stupid because that was hardly derogatory. But I can see that people might get offended at "Redskin." (I like the potato idea, though. :w00t: )

St. Bonaventure changed their name (nick-name) from the "Brown Indians" too.

Too much political correctness these days, in my opinion. "Buffalo Bill Cody" whom the Bills are named after, killed 4,280 Bison in his day.

Should we change the Bills name because it might offend the tree hugging PETA people?

Its ironic that a growing number of people in the are want the NBA team to change thier name back to the bullets then, and having moved to Maryland and being half an hour from Baltimore and 20 minutes from DC I can assure you no one in this area gives a :censored: about the name of the football team

It's pretty awful that you prefer some stupid pointless tradition over changing the obviously offensive nickname.

What slippery slope are you afraid of? That all of the offensive nicknames would be changed? What a disaster that would be!

The slippery slope you should be afraid of is what Just in Atlanta said; that's how it starts first it is an offensive term then its anything that offends anybody

I not say the Redskins Name is right but changing it because of Political correctness is dangerous

The slippery slope you should be afraid of is what Just in Atlanta said; that's how it starts first it is an offensive term then its anything that offends anybody

I not say the Redskins Name is right but changing it because of Political correctness is dangerous

Or, ya know, adults can judge each situation on a case by case basis, because slippery slope arguments are largely based on bull ****.

The idea that if one team changes its horribly offensive nickname then ALL THE OTHER TEAMS IN THE LEAGUE will have to change their names too defies all logic.

Just go back to these uniforms:

redskinslg.jpg

call them the Warriors and be done with it. I'm sure the league would love to be able sell all new merchandise.

Edited by Pondslider

I think the DC Mayor is saying if the Redskins ever want a new stadium in downtown DC they will have to change the team name, personally I agree with you I don't know why they would want to go DC, its not as bad as it used to be but they got a good thing in Maryland why move

FedEx is a total hole, and this year was the first year MOST of the reported sellouts were real. That's with RG3 winning and after the skins removed thousands of seats. The team has a huge season ticket waiting list, but that is truthfully for the non club seats. Usually when people sign up for the waiting list they are told it will be years, then magically a month or so later they are told of a unique and wonderful opportunity to but club seats for $250 a pop. That is the ring of yellow seats in the stadium that are usually empty. Because they are classified as club / lux seats there's some sort of end around the skins do with them re ths blackout rule.

You're right though FedEx while the worst stadium in the entire nfl and horribly located compared to a city that has everything else directly on a metro line and in the heart of it all, is a cash machine. But the deal the city has said to have offered is something noOne on the planner would turn down. Snyder said he'd pay for the stadium at the RFK site of the city would just give him the land it's on and the city is willing to do that. The city is willing to do that because the people who run it are morons to a sickening degree. The land RFK is on is worth roughly $2-3 BILLION. Snyder, the king of shady leveraged deals could instantly leverage the land to pay for the stadium and retail and condo complex he wants and not even put in a done of his own money. Luckily DC doesn't own the land, they merely get a revolving lease from the federal government. And the Feds are smart enough that they won't give a billion dollar gift to Snyder for nothing. To get it he'll have to grease scumbags like Issa, which he's feverishly attempting at this moment. Still it will likely be a tough road as the only people too stupid to make a deal like this, no matter how much money Snyder can throw, are the morons that get elected in DC.

Its ironic that a growing number of people in the are want the NBA team to change thier name back to the bullets then, and having moved to Maryland and being half an hour from Baltimore and 20 minutes from DC I can assure you no one in this area gives a :censored: about the name of the football team

The Bullets Owner change the name when his friend Yitzhak Rabin The Israeli Leader was murder,

Yes I am sure if you " Pack Cheese" for a living you might be offended by that name & "Cheese Head" could also be offensive

Yes "Redskin" was once used as a derogatory term but this is what I mean, first it will be offensive terms, then next it will be any & everything

we already live in a PC dominated society, where now compliments are saw as bad taste, how far do want to got down that road till you can't turn back

Actually the Packers were named after the Indian Packing Company that were the original owners of the team. The company was known for packing canned meat, not cheese.

Points out the absurdity of political correctness with absurdity. If you don't get that you truly are a PC disciple.

Usually I am on board with throwing out PC rules, but this situation is different. Redskins is basically the equivalent to calling them the DC "darkies" or worse. What's the harm in changing it to the warriors? It goes against the principle of being a racist? The principle of pissing off people you can get away with crapping on? The principle of never changing anything because you are too stuck in your ways?

The Bullets Owner change the name when his friend Yitzhak Rabin The Israeli Leader was murder,

I get that but Abe Pollin is dead, and another guy owns the team now. And people hate the Wizards,name,jersey,everything. I've seen more Bullets gear, than Wizards gear,and the name change was 18 years ago.

Or, ya know, adults can judge each situation on a case by case basis, because slippery slope arguments are largely based on bull ****.

The idea that if one team changes its horribly offensive nickname then ALL THE OTHER TEAMS IN THE LEAGUE will have to change their names too defies all logic.

Just go back to these uniforms:

redskinslg.jpg

call them the Warriors and be done with it. I'm sure the league would love to be able sell all new merchandise.

Would offend pacifists.

PC types want to dictate how we talk, act and even think.

UNC is banning the term freshmen (not inclusive). University of Maryland has a list of banned words with a mandatory inclusiveness manual students must read. Cranston RI has banned daddy daughter dances (gender discrimination). Kids are routinely expelled for drawing pictures of guns or even hugging. The publishers of Huckleberry Finn have banned the so-called n word. Nativity scenes were banned this year in Santa Monica.

It goes on and on--it even wants to intrude into football.

If you're offended by the term redskin, the world must be a pretty scary place for you.

Edited by Just in Atlanta

I get that but Abe Pollin is dead, and another guy owns the team now. And people hate the Wizards,name,jersey,everything. I've seen more Bullets gear, than Wizards gear,and the name change was 18 years ago.

I was saying if you didn't know, I should have point out he didn't change the name over political correctness but for personal reasons my bad

Usually I am on board with throwing out PC rules, but this situation is different. Redskins is basically the equivalent to calling them the DC "darkies" or worse. What's the harm in changing it to the warriors? It goes against the principle of being a racist? The principle of pissing off people you can get away with crapping on? The principle of never changing anything because you are too stuck in your ways?

I see your point, but it's manufactured. No one uses that term anymore. If we had a team called the "Darkies", everyone and their moms would be screaming in the street. You don't see that here.

Yeah, there are some oversensitive types, but it's mostly intellectual types who overthink **** to the point of exhaustion. If we truly trace the history of words, we'd probably find half of them are offensive to someone. It's not about not changing ways. It's about being afraid of offending anyone. This fear morphs into real life and public policy--not just football--and takes away our common sense to the point of absurdity on a near daily basis.

How bout we call them the Pussywillows?

Would offend pacifists.

PC types want to dictate how we talk, act and even think.

UNC is banning the term freshmen (not inclusive). University of Maryland has a list of banned words with a mandatory inclusiveness manual students must read. Cranston RI has banned daddy daughter dances (gender discrimination). Kids are routinely expelled for drawing pictures of guns or even hugging. The publishers of Huckleberry Finn have banned the so-called n word. Nativity scenes were banned this year in Santa Monica.

It goes on and on--it even wants to intrude into football.

If you're offended by the term redskin, the world must be a pretty scary place for you.

Aside from creating a strawman, why does this issue need to be clouded by attacks on the mythical PC police? No one in this thread fits that description.

And if you can't understand why the term "Redskin" is intrinsically offensive, then you're being either willfully obtuse or intellectually bankrupt. Acknowledging a team name is a literally a racial epithet doesn't equate to a loss of freedom