What should the Bills do at #8?

Every year at this time there are 2 positions we seem to talk ourselves out of ........QB and TE.....even though they end up being real needs on the team.......

And every year we keep talking ourselves into defensive players......EVERY year......in particular corner

Here is how I feel

- At some point this team needs to break down and select a QB high if they ever expect to improve that position......yeah there are no RG III's or Lucks in this draft? How about the level of Miami's QB? Any of those? Because frankly that would be fine with me.

- At some point we need to STOP giving up our blue chip pick on a defensive player........and allow the coaches to actually make due with the players that have been given them.......we have spent millions on free agency defensive players........and our last 2 picks have been on the defensive side of the ball.......the players are THERE......I still feel that players like Ron Brooks and Nigel Bradham have promise. We should NOT use our 8th pick on a defensive player this year. They want to use their 2nd, 3rd, 4th round picks on linebackers....FINE.....but its time to pick the QB

- I also dont really care how the bills do it.......if there is a opportunity to trade down some and pick up an additional pick.....and getting Nassib or Glennon.....I am ok with that.

We gotta find a way to address the QB position that does not include justifying why Ryan Fitzpatrick is kept....he is not the answer and has actually REGRESSED this year.

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Every year at this time there are 2 positions we seem to talk ourselves out of ........QB and TE.....even though they end up being real needs on the team.......

And every year we keep talking ourselves into defensive players......EVERY year......in particular corner

Here is how I feel

- At some point this team needs to break down and select a QB high if they ever expect to improve that position......yeah there are no RG III's or Lucks in this draft? How about the level of Miami's QB? Any of those? Because frankly that would be fine with me.

- At some point we need to STOP giving up our blue chip pick on a defensive player........and allow the coaches to actually make due with the players that have been given them.......we have spent millions on free agency defensive players........and our last 2 picks have been on the defensive side of the ball.......the players are THERE......I still feel that players like Ron Brooks and Nigel Bradham have promise. We should NOT use our 8th pick on a defensive player this year. They want to use their 2nd, 3rd, 4th round picks on linebackers....FINE.....but its time to pick the QB

- I also dont really care how the bills do it.......if there is a opportunity to trade down some and pick up an additional pick.....and getting Nassib or Glennon.....I am ok with that.

We gotta find a way to address the QB position that does not include justifying why Ryan Fitzpatrick is kept....he is not the answer and has actually REGRESSED this year.

Agreed John...And well said...QB has to be the priority...Like I wrote before, I'm hoping they can trade down a bit from #8 and still land the QB of their choice not named Geno Smith...And if by some miracle Smith is there at #8, grab him...

And to answer your question about Miami's QB I would think that Smith and Tyler Wilson would be considered every bit the prospect Tannehill was...I personally think a few QB's in this Draft could post a 76 QB rating in their Rookie year given the right situation...The Bills situation is not bad, with the O-Line, Spiller, Stevie, a healthy David Nelson, and Freddie...So... B-)

Great post. I'm gonna start doing my "film study" on QBs soon. Likely that's the only position I'll really pay attention to this year. It is a big mystery right now. But as you know it's pretty early. Things will get clearer.

To add, how many newly-installed NFL head coaches happened to have a good enough draft eligible quarterback in college that they could re-unite with in the NFL?

Talleywhacker was a fairly rare occurrence it seems to me.

Its not just someone immediately. Carroll made no attempt to get Leinhart when he was there for free, and no signs of interest in Sanchez. I just dont think college coaches and their QBs are all that joined at the hip.

Be interested who you think are the the best bets in rounds 2 & 3. If memory serves me right youve been spot on last 2 years (Kaeperneck 2011, Wilson 2012).

Stay put at #8 and take the best graded QB regardless of reach. Jets pick at #9 and are as desperate as we are for a legit QB. If we trade down we run the risk of missing out on the guy we want.

QBs are always drafted higher than they are rated.....therefore, unless you get pick #1 and are lucky enough to get a Manning or Luck that year, you will always have to reach for your wanted QB in the draft. This is our year to have to reach.

thanks for posting what my thoughts are about this.

You have to reach because QB's go fast because so many teams need one. Draft one at 8 so you dont have to trade back into the first round to get one.

Do your homework, and choose the best QB on the board at 8. Fitz is not going to be here since his man love Coach is history. Then concentrate on D the rest of the draft. You can get a WR in FA.

Edited by Bufcomments

I don't care if Jesus H. Christ and Muhammad are your corners and Buddha and Xenu are your safeties...give a non-Fitzpatrick QB in this league 5+ seconds in the pocket, and he will tear them to pieces. Mark Freaking Anderson is the second best pass rusher on this defense. The Bills haven't drafted a quality pass rusher (i.e., 4-3 DE or 3-4 OLB) since Aaron Schobel. There could be as many as SIX pass rushers in this draft alone who would be considered blue chippers in most other drafts. Dee Milliner will be a solid pro, but he's not a Revis or Peterson kind of talent. TIME TO DRAFT A PASS RUSHER IN APRIL. I'M TYPING IN CAPS SO THAT YOU WILL FEEL THE PASSION I HAVE ABOUT THIS SUBJECT.

I agree with most of this, but JHC is too tight in the hips to play corner, he's a better fit at safety.

For those who say we should ignore the pass rush b/c we dropped money on it last year, I'd say that's analogous to telling the kitchen manager not to order beef because you already spent money on beef yesterday; nevermind that half the beef spoiled and you have orders to fill.

There will be better QBs next year when we pick #1 in the draft. This year we need some more fat guys at OT and DE. Grab a decent LB in the third and pick up a young WR in FA. Then wait until the wreckage settles in 2014 to pick up our franchise QB (think johnny football). Thank marrone for blowing the whole thing up and show him the door. Get a real coaching staff and finally win a football game again.

For those who say we should ignore the pass rush b/c we dropped money on it last year, I'd say that's analogous to telling the kitchen manager not to order beef because you already spent money on beef yesterday; nevermind that half the beef spoiled and you have orders to fill.

Or like saying because the Bills have spent so much money on QBs recently with significant contracts to Fitz, Brad Smith, and Thigpen that we can't draft a first round quarterback. The fact that we've spent money at the position doesn't mean squat if we're still weak there.

I agree with Marc Miller. Pass rusher at #8.

To JTSP, it might be a month or more before I have a feel for the draftable QBs but it will be interesting to see who we all choose as our favorites.

There are plenty of ways yo win. Superior secondary and average front 7 was the model for the best D by far in our division for last 4 years. Many sacks are coverage sacks they just don't show up in the stats that way. One can easily reverse your statement to say there's no way an online can contain rushers for x amount of seconds when the WRs arent getting open and qb has no one tothrow to

The big problem with your argument here is that the Jets' front 7 for the past 4 years has still been considered above average in talent. Furthermore, I wouldn't say that Buffalo's front 7 has even the reached the level of average yet. I also can't really think of an elite NFL defensive unit that only had a mediocre pass rush; conversely, there have been many instances of elite NFL defenses with average secondaries.

I still can't believe a fan of the Buffalo Bills - of all teams - would honestly think a player of Dee Milliner's talent will have a bigger impact on a defense's performance than someone like Damontre Moore or Bjoern Werner. Since 1985, Buffalo has only spent 3 1st rounders on a pass rusher (defined as a DE or a 3-4 OLB): Bruce Smith in 1985, Erik Flowers in 2000, and Aaron Maybin in 2009. Meanwhile, they've drafted 10 1st round secondary players (defined, of course, as a CB or FS or SS): Derrick Burroughs in 1985, James Williams in 1990, Henry Jones in 1991, Thomas Smith in 1993, Jeff Burris in 1994, Antoine Winfield in 1999, Nate Clements in 2001, Donte Whitner in 2006, Leodis McKelvin in 2008, and Stephon Gilmore in 2012.

Now I'm not going to advocate that this draft strategy is THE reason for why the Bills failed to win a Super Bowl in the early 90's, declined in the late 90's, and then never made the playoffs for 13 straight years (I didn't even touch the issue of drafting 1st round RB's). But when something's not working for a long period of time, it's time to stop and at least reflect on how the team chooses to allocate their resources.

P.S. Just realized that you're the guy who thinks the Buffalo Bills should change their name to the Niagara Rapids. That explains a lot...

Here is how I feel

I understand your frustration. QB is still the biggest need for this franchise. No disagreement there.

However, this particular draft is unusally strong at DL and LB while also unusually weak at QB (and TE). It just so happens that the front 7 for the Bills has been setting team records for futility in the past 3 seasons despite all the draft picks used on it. Reaching for a middling talent like Nassib or Glennon at #8 would be foolish when there will likely be blue chip pass rushers to be had.

Better find a QB who is athletic and can not only pass accurately, but also make the QB run option as effective as it's been for SanFran and Seattle. That's the future of offense in the NFL.

Who that kid is, I don't know, but whoever it is better be able to run.

Better find a QB who is athletic and can not only pass accurately, but also make the QB run option as effective as it's been for SanFran and Seattle. That's the future of offense in the NFL.

Who that kid is, I don't know, but whoever it is better be able to run.

I agree...But the problem is Kaepernick and Wilson are rare dudes...And we had our shot at both of them...I just don't see anyone in this Draft that mirrors those skills and smarts...Maybe in 2014 with Bridgewater...Or 2015 with Manziel... B-)

Every superbowl contending team is strong at the QB and LB positions. The Bills have neither. These both need to be addressed.

Right behind those postitional needs are a complimentary receiver to Johnson and maybe another TE, though I think Chandler has a lot of upside.

Sad how the Bills have "just missed" having the opportunity to take LBs Von Miller and Patrick Willis, and of course they could have had Matthews the year they instead chose Maybin. Their current defense with those 3, and minus Dareus (who was taken in the spot after Miller) would be dominating with the right defensive mind running the show.

Watching the other playoff teams in post season action, it's clear Fitzpatrick's skill level is inferior to those who made it to the playoffs. He's serviceable - nothing more.

The Bills need a force at Linebacker and maybe make a move for someone like QB Alex Smith in FA, since I don't believe there's actually a sure-thing franchise QB in the first round of the draft. Reaching for a QB in round 1 would be a mistake IMO. The last thing the Bills need is to waste another season with an experiment. About the time that guy might be up to speed, the proven talent on the team will be taking FA offers, and then it's rebuilding time again! Yippee!

The future is now.

There will be better QBs next year when we pick #1 in the draft. This year we need some more fat guys at OT and DE. Grab a decent LB in the third and pick up a young WR in FA. Then wait until the wreckage settles in 2014 to pick up our franchise QB (think johnny football). Thank marrone for blowing the whole thing up and show him the door. Get a real coaching staff and finally win a football game again.

We have pretty much been drafting fat guys lately and frankly dont need any more.......Marcel Darius, Cordy Glenn, Eric Wood, and MILLIONS spent on free agent pass rushing DL.......

And frankly I dont play for the 1st pick of the draft in any year.....really? That is your hope that we go for another year of losing?

We have pretty much been drafting fat guys lately and frankly dont need any more.......Marcel Darius, Cordy Glenn, Eric Wood, and MILLIONS spent on free agent pass rushing DL.......

And frankly I dont play for the 1st pick of the draft in any year.....really? That is your hope that we go for another year of losing?

Completely agree, particularly on D. With the trend towards mobile quarterbacks it helps to have DL that can run.

I understand your frustration. QB is still the biggest need for this franchise. No disagreement there.

However, this particular draft is unusally strong at DL and LB while also unusually weak at QB (and TE). It just so happens that the front 7 for the Bills has been setting team records for futility in the past 3 seasons despite all the draft picks used on it. Reaching for a middling talent like Nassib or Glennon at #8 would be foolish when there will likely be blue chip pass rushers to be had.

The Bills' lack of a quarterback is eating at me. If we obtain the heir to Jim Kelly, this team becomes a Super Bowl contender. Without a quarterback, we can be reasonably certain we will not win a Super Bowl.

If the answer at QB won't be available to us in this draft, then you're right in saying we should go in a different direction. Drafting a pass rusher seems to make at least as much sense as any other "different direction" I can think of. I just want the Bills to look long and hard at the available QBs before deciding the right guy isn't there.

Edited by Edwards' Arm

Here is how I feel

I agree except that this is just not the year to be picking top ten and looking for a QB or TE. Sure, there are guys I like in the draft at both positions in this draft but the talent level is just not there to compete with a defensive and OL prospects in this draft. You just don't draft fo need in the top ten.

Don't yell at me I didnt hire marrone. I'm not hoping to lose that has been baked into the cake. Im just ahead of the curve. We need a RT and another stud DE. So regardless of what you think we are not done drafting fat guys, and we most certainly DO need more of them.

What we don't need is another marginally ****ty QB.