What should the Bills do at #8?

I highly doubt that Nassib is going to be their most highly rated qb prospect. That is not saying that he isn't a good prospect.

I have been very critical of the organization for not drafting qbs such as Kaepernick, Dalton, Wilson and Cousins. But that doesn't mean that the Bills were wrong in not taking them in the first round. In my view Nassib is not a first round caliber type of pick. He reminds me of Dalton. A solid type of player compared to a Kaepernick type qb who at this point might be more inconsistent but in the long run has more upside. Not drafting Wilson or Cousins when they were still on the board in the third round was a mistake that set this franchise back, again!

The more I look in to Nassib the more I find that there is a massive gap in the way folks are viewing him...Just for the heck of it yesterday I Googled "2013 NFL Draft Top 100." I specifically wanted to see where Nassib was being projected currently...I saw anywhere from the 30's to some big boards leaving him off their Top 100!!! That's a serious gap!!!

A couple things...First and foremost Nassib is listed at 6-2 and if he measures under that it's not going to help his Draft stock...

This Scouting Report on Nassib would lead anyone to believe he's got huge potential...But I have no idea who wrote it...I do know he was rated #52 overall on the big board that linked this report...http://www.buffalobi...couting-report/

From the film that I have watched on Nassib, and the two games I saw him play live (on tv...Lousiville and West Virginia), I came away impressed...Not blown away by any means...But impressed...I'm impressed by his consistency...Not necessarily his accuracy all the time...But his consistency...Nassib's LOWEST QB rating for an individual game in 2012 was 107.1 vs. Pittsburgh...Looking at his 2012 spilts is very interesting...He was a MUCH better QB in the 2nd half of Games when compared to the 1st half (+12.3 higher completions, +41 QB Rating, and 14 more TD's in the 2nd half of games)...I REALLY like that about him...It tells me he reacts well to in-game adjustments, and he's a gamer...He's playing better when the game is on the line...I don't think that stat can be attributed too heavily to stat padding late either because Syracuse lost it's 5 games by an average of a TD and a 2-point conversion...They only lost 2 games by more than 10 points...Anyway...Just some food for thought...

The more I look at Nassib the more I like him...I do wish he was a couple inches taller, and I also wish his completion % was over 65 (it was 62.4 in 2011 and 2012), but you can't have everything...The fact that he may be teamed up with his College Coaches back in Buffalo would certainly be a big reason for The Bills to consider him...I've watched a TON of QB film from most of the top prospects already...And I plan on watching a ton more...Honestly, I can't exactly put my finger on why just yet, but I like Nassib more than any other QB I've seen outside of Geno Smith, and Tyler Wilson...And in my mind right now he's about even with Tyler Wilson...I think Nassib is a better NFL prospect than Ponder and Locker for sure...Maybe just as good as Dalton...Definitely more NFL ready than Kaepernick (though Kaepernick is clearly the superior athlete), or Ryan Tannehill (again Tannehill is the better athlete)...Now before anyone jumps to anything, I'm not saying Nassib is a better prospect than Kaepernick was, just much more NFL ready is all...

So it makes me wonder...How high can Nassib go if he measures out at + 6-2, and has a great 3 months of workouts??? It's a big time mystery right now...

Edited by KOKBILLS

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I posted earlier there's no clear tendency for transitioning college HCs to stress taking their QB with them. In part because for career reasons they don't want to identity themselves too closely with one player I would think. So lack of precedent + Nassirs projection well past 8 again leads me to conclude very low chance we take him there.

So it makes me wonder...How high can Nassib go if he measure out at + 6-2, and has a great 3 months of workouts??? It's a big time mystery right now...

Great post. I'm gonna start doing my "film study" on QBs soon. Likely that's the only position I'll really pay attention to this year. It is a big mystery right now. But as you know it's pretty early. Things will get clearer.

I posted earlier there's no clear tendency for transitioning college HCs to stress taking their QB with them. In part because for career reasons they don't want to identity themselves too closely with one player I would think. So lack of precedent + Nassirs projection well past 8 again leads me to conclude very low chance we take him there.

To add, how many newly-installed NFL head coaches happened to have a good enough draft eligible quarterback in college that they could re-unite with in the NFL?

Talleywhacker was a fairly rare occurrence it seems to me.

I agree there may not be franchise QB, until you draft a QB who you think has potential and give him a shot we will never know if he is All Pro or not.

Do you take the guy with obvious warts over a Chance Warmack, Barrett Jones, Star Lotululititleio or Manti Te'o??

I guess my point is: Why squint at Nassib and say "he kinda looks like a franchise QB", when the next Steve Hutchinson is out there....or Hloti Ngata?

BTW, dyslexia isn't a communicable disease, is it?

on.

The problem with Buddy is that some of the prospects that he didn't believe were worth drafting turned out to be good prospects for other teams. Very often it is worse to make a mistake due to "omission" rather than make a mistake due to "commision". (As you pointed out.) What has bothered me the most about the Nix era is that there didn't seem to be an urgency to address the qb position. What made his lackadaisical approach more egregious is that his franchise qb was clearly inadequate. Not having a young qb in the pipeline during his three year stint as GM set back this franchise.

Although many here have defended Buddy's decision to pass on Wilson and Cousins in the 3d last year (using the old "hindsight is 20/20" argument) it is interesting to note that the other two GMs of QB needy teams who also passed on them in the 3d round Pioli and Smith of Jacksonville (Smith picked a punter one slot ahead of R Wilson) both were fired this offseason, and for good reason.

Edited by mannc

Although many here have defended Buddy's decision to pass on Wilson and Cousins in the 3d last year (using the old "hindsight is 20/20" argument) it is interesting to note that the other two GMs of QB needy teams who also passed on them in the 3d round Pioli and Smith of Jacksonville (Smith picked a punter one slot ahead of R Wilson) both were fired this offseason, and for good reason.

Exactly!!! It's one thing to do it...But it's clearly another to not only do it...but also to get away with it, while still being called one of the best Football minds in the NFL by the guy running your team... :doh:

Warmack is a good player, and would be a good addition to the Bills' war machine.

Even so, I'm uncomfortable with this idea on several levels.

1) In the past, I've criticized the Bills' front office for letting the Bills' best DBs go first-contract-and-out, only to use first round picks on their replacements. Letting Levitre go first-contract-and-out, and using a first round pick on his replacement, seems like more of the same--except at a different position.

2) The Bills have needs at premium positions, such as QB, DE, and (I hate to say this) CB. I'd like to see the Bills' first round pick used to obtain a very good player at a premium position--ideally quarterback. You can get really good offensive guards in the second round. Levitre himself was a second round pick.

The Bills need to re-sign Levitre and Byrd--ideally well before the draft. Then at #8, they need to think long and hard about whether a guy like Glennon or Nassib can be the long-term answer at QB. The kind of guy who will play at or near a franchise level. If they feel a reasonable comfort level with a QB, they should take him at #8. Even if he's not "supposed" to be taken in the top 10. If there isn't an opportunity for the Bills to solve their QB problems in this draft, they should instead look at DEs, CBs, and perhaps WRs.

Edit: I do not like the idea of taking a LB in the top-10, unless he's going to be another Bryce Paup. By that I mean a 3-4 LB who's going to be asked to rush the passer on a lot of downs. I would be comfortable using a top-10 pick on a Ted Washington type player.

I agree with the bolded and have a feeling this is just how the draft will play out. I have been pulling for Fitz for far too long but my first impressions of the available QBs in this draft are no better. Personally, I think the Bills will go with best player available regardless of position. If the QBs left on the board when they pick are rated for the 2nd round, the Bills will wait for the second round to get him. I just don't see them not trying to get the best value out of this pick and I'm afraid QB is not going to be it.