What they are saying about Doug Marrone

SDS

from his SU connections...

Dick MacPherson, SU’s former coach and the man who coached Marrone during his playing days with the Orangemen:

“Other than that, I don’t really know what to say. I don’t want to call this a blessing for anybody and I don’t want to call it a curse, either. I know I don’t want to see Doug go. I don’t think he went out looking for a job; I think the NFL came calling on him. And that’s a credit to Doug.

http://www.syracuse....t_river_default

Former Saints offensive lineman Jon Stinchcomb:

"...unbelievable coach."

"Our paths crossed twice and I'm grateful for it... He is, in my opinion, the best position coach that I got to play for and got to be on a team with. He's just a very detail-oriented guy that's extremely driven and loves and respects the game of football. He was a huge influence on my career."

"You put all of that together and you just think, 'What?' He's just a special coach, and I'm excited for him. I like him as a person,"

Head Coach Sean Payton:

"a great leader"

"a great teacher."

"I think he's certainly someone the players will respond to, and I think he's ready..."

"I think he'll do a great job. I really do. I know he had a handful of options this offseason with some of these pro teams. I'm excited to see him get this opportunity. He deserves it."

Payton said he absolutely saw qualities in Marrone when he hired him in 2006 that would translate into Marrone becoming an NFL head coach at some point. Payton said it was only a matter of when.

Former Saints and current 49ers center Jonathan Goodwin added:

"(I'm) Happy for him. He's a great coach who's an extremely hard worker. I think he will do a great job in Buffalo just like he did at Syracuse."

Pro Football Weekly:

http://www.profootballweekly.com/2013/01/06/insider-brandon-makes-great-hire-in-marrone

The following quotes are from NFL scouts, coaches and front-office personnel, speaking on the condition of anonymity.

• “I’m impressed by what (Bills president/CEO) Russ Brandon is doing. You look at what happened with Mike Holmgren (in Cleveland) and Hue Jackson (in Cincinnati) — history is not on the side of guys acting as the owner. Anyone who knows (Syracuse head coach) Doug Marrone knows it was a great hire. I love the fit. It was very smart finding someone local. They’ll find a quarterback and move (GM) Buddy Nix out of the way after the draft, and they’ll be on their way.”

Herm Edwards:

http://blogs.canoe.c...prepared-coach/

“He’s a very hands-on coach, and good with the fundamentals and techniques,” said Edwards, 58, who coached the Kansas City Chiefs from 2006-08 after the Jets. “He’s disciplined. And he’s very competitive. Now, sometimes on the sidelines he doesn’t look like it. He’s not going to get overly dramatic. But his teams will be well-prepared."

Was Marrone wise to take an NFL job while his popularity iron was hot? Edwards said yes.

“You do,” he said.

“People don’t realize that along with those seven head-coach vacancies come at least 15 to 18 assistant-coach vacancies at each place. Well, there are guys looking for work. So now, when you have a guy other teams also wanted, you the opportunity to hire good assistant coaches, too.”

Edited by Lurker

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/extra-points/2013/bills-hire-doug-marrone-syracuse

Bills Hire Doug Marrone from Syracuse

I'll buy this one because it comes from "team sources." Doug Marrone will leave Syracuse to become the new head coach of the Buffalo Bills. Marrone previously was offensive coordinator for Sean Payton and the Saints from 2006-2008; working for Payton suggests that Marrone may be open to a more analytical perspective that would match team president Russ Brandon's recent announcement that he plans to form an analytics department in the front office.

I asked our FO college writers for their thoughts on Marrone's time in Syracuse.

Bill Connelly: "He wasn't a great recruiter (which won't be an issue, obviously), but the team I saw in November was very, very well-coached, smart and sound. His defense was small, fast and pretty aggressive, and his offense was pass-first with a solid, pro-caliber quarterback (Ryan Nassib) and two good-to-great receivers. Syracuse couldn't run the ball for the first half of the season but (I'm pretty sure) got an injured lineman back midway through the year, and everything clicked. For much of the last half of the season, they were able to do it all on offense, and hey won six of seven to end the season. Nassib is a really smart quarterback, for which Marrone should get some credit."

I'll point out that Nassib will be in this year's NFL Draft and is generally seen as a second-round pick right now. Buffalo could easily draft him to compete with Ryan Fitzpatrick for the starting job.

Matt Hinton: "Marrone bad a similar tranectory at Syracuse as Greg Schiano at Rutgers, although much compressed. Syracuse is not historically bad, but it was a laughingstock when Marrone took over. After four consecutive last-place finishes in the Greg "Gerg" Robinson era, two winning seasons in three years under Marrone is a success story. As Bill said, the 2012 team won with offense, but in 2010 the initial breakthrough was on defense. They weren't innovative, just pro style with an emphasis on being fundamentally sound."

Posted by: Aaron Schatz on 06 Jan 2013

Upon arriving at Syracuse, Marrone was committed to eradicating a losing attitude. A couple dozen players wound up leaving the program over the next two seasons.

“He came in with rules, and the people who didn’t want to follow the rules are gone, and those who did want to follow stayed,” linebacker Derrell Smith told reporters in 2010.

Early in Marrone’s first season, he gathered the players in the locker room one morning and had them clean the room so they could take more pride in where they spent their day.

He required players to dress in a suit and tie instead of sweat suits on game days. He required they sing the Syracuse alma mater before leaving the field after a game. If players were late to class, he would post photos on TV monitors in the weight room.

http://www.buffalonews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20130106/SPORTS/130109504/1003

Edited by buffalo1983

“That’s a great hire by the Bills because he brings together that pedigree that is popular now: a substantial pro background with that mix of college,” former head coach and NFL Network analyst Brian Billick said.

“He’s a detail guy,” Edwards said. “He’s very organized. He understands the importance of fundamentals and technique. He will stress that. He will make sure the assistant coaches teach that.

“His strongest traits will be putting players into position to have success, and he’s about developing players. He’ll be very good offensively. He understands a skill set of players. The offensive line along with the quarterback probably will be his focal point.”

http://www.buffalonews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20130106/SPORTS/130109504/1003

Adam Schefter Video on Doug Marrone being a Hot Candidate for NFL HC vacancies:

http://espn.go.com/n...nge-sources-say

"Marrone wanted Buffalo as much as Buffalo wanted him," says Schefter, who called Marrone the "most in-demand college coach out there" with Chip Kelly on the fence.

"In recent weeks, Marrone had done comprehensive film studies of each team he would be interviewing with - the Cleveland Browns,Philadelphia Eagles, Chargers and Bills - and each game they had played this past year," Schefter continued. "He believed Buffalo had more talent than any of those other teams. It factored into his final decision, as did his relationship with the new head man of the Bills organization, Russ Brandon, who has served on the advisory board for sports management at - where else - Syracuse."

Peter King MMQB on Marrone:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nfl/news/20130107/peter-king-monday-morning-quarterback-nfl-playoffs-wild-card/#all

Doug Marrone takes over the Bills.

I barely know Marrone, but I like the move. Bill Parcells trusts him; Sean Payton valued him. Marrone's a detail freak who knows he doesn't know everything, who's open to football analytics but certain to not be a slave to them. He designed blocking schemes for Curtis Martin as a Jets offensive line coach. He was Payton's offensive coordinator for the first three Saint seasons, helping keep Drew Brees clean. Syracuse won 10 games in the four years before Marrone arrived in 2009; he was 25-25 in his four years as Syracuse coach.

Marrone got to be the hot guy in the coaching derby last week -- four days, four interviews, with a fifth (Philadelphia) canceled when the Bills tabbed him Sunday morning -- because of his offensive imagination and his toughness. I know one team, not Buffalo, that had eyes for Marrone was interested as much for his ability to walk in and handle and discipline underachieving pro players as how smart he was. I remember Payton once saying, early in his New Orleans tenure, that he liked Marrone because of his honesty, no matter who might get offended.

I heard Saturday that the Bills really like Lovie Smith, and I believe if Ralph Wilson were running this search, or least tuned into it hourly, he'd have pushed for an established pro coach. But I don't think new CEO Russ Brandon was as interested in a name. As for the "risk'' involved, tell me: Who's not risky? In this business, you have to hire the man you believe in, not the one who's going to win the press conference.

Junior tackle Jonathan Meldrum said the linemen have never had the hands-on approach of Marrone here at Syracuse. And when Marrone needs to be heard, Meldrum said, he makes sure everyone hears him clearly.

‘Coach Marrone is a very…I wouldn’t say intimidating man, but he has a great presence about him,’ Meldrum said. ‘When he’s around, he just grabs your attention. There’s no messing around. Whenever he talks, he grabs every part of you.’