Anyone sensing a coaching trend here?

Dr. Trooth

Harbaugh, Carroll, Schiano, now Kelly and Marrone. Ex college coaches (most with pro coaching experience).

Seems to me we may be bearing witness to a transition that is taking place in the NFL. Not your Daddy's NFL anymore.

Although I don't understand it completely, I believe it goes beyond just the offensive acumen and philosopy.

I think it has more to do with these coaches having a better understanding of turning over a roster. NFL coaches can keep a core group together for a long time. College coahes don't have that luxury. Like NFL coaches, college coaches lose players through attrition or injury. But college coaches also lose players to academic ineligibility & transfer, unlike NFL coaches. The most a college coach can have a player on the field and contributing is 4 years and many times 2 or 3 yrs. when talented players jump to the NFL.

I believe NFL teams may be looking really hard at roster turnover and management... believing that if they hire the right college coach, he has a unique understanding and working knowledge of roster turnover and may be a good fit, especially with a team that loses perceived good players to free agency frequently, and over pays perceived good players. (sound kind of in step with Russ' move to analytics and assessing a players true value based on on field performace?)

I'm sure there is much more to it than this, but to me the management of roster turnover jumps out at me as a key reason.

As I stated earlier in the week, offensively the college game and the pro game are growing closer to each other more now than they have been in years.

You see more read option and pistol stuff in the NFL while the colleges have long been attempting to emulate the NFL's pro-style passing attacks. Offenses in the NFL and in college are hybridizing concurrently.

Also, some recent college hires have had excellent success in the personnel area and it might be that their college recruiting acumen gives them another useful perspective on NFL prospects.

As I stated earlier in the week, offensively the college game and the pro game are growing closer to each other more now than they have been in years.

You see more read option and pistol stuff in the NFL while the colleges have long been attempting to emulate the NFL's pro-style passing attacks. Offenses in the NFL and in college are hybridizing concurrently.

Also, some recent college hires have had excellent success in the personnel area and it might be that their college recruiting acumen gives them another useful perspective on NFL prospects.

Very true. It might also be why we are seeing more rookie QB's experiencing success right out of the chute.

Good observation... I think that one of the critical success factors for these guys is the ability to attract solid Coordinators who can carry a big part of the load while they acclimate themselves. I'm really hoping that Marrone can find that veteran coach to help him out... especially if he's on the defensive side of the house (and believes in being aggressive).

Good observation, Dr. Tooth.

On NFL.com, Brian Billick made this comment on the Bills hiring Marrone....

"I think that's a great hire. He brings that pedigree that's kind of popular now, a substantial pro background with that mix of college."

Its nice for the Bills to be on the cutting edge for once,

Very true. It might also be why we are seeing more rookie QB's experiencing success right out of the chute.

That I think we can attribute primarily to

1) scouting improvements (better tracking, technology, statistical analysts, etc...)

2) 9 year olds getting groomed for the pros. Any 8 year old with an arm was going NFL, and those kids were getting real coaching and real qb science based camps starting very early - not just dad saying "try tossing it real far"

Then there is Nick Saban and remember what he DIDN'T do in Miami. Just because he was a pretty good college coach and so was Chan Gailey, both sucked in the NFL.

Duh. You can't just drop any decent college coach in any nfl building and declare success. There's not a 100% formula but we are seeing a bit of a shift.

Edited by NoSaint

Then there is Nick Saban and remember what he DIDN'T do in Miami. Just because he was a pretty good college coach and so was Chan Gailey, both sucked in the NFL.

At the college level, Gailey and Saban had way better talent than Marrone could ever hope to get, especially Saban. Put Saban or Gailey in Marrone's shoes and they probably wouldn't have gotten an NFL HC sniff. Syracuse is never going to be a top 15 program and Marrone knows it because in recruitmat, they can't compete with the big schools...regardless of moving to the ACC (see Boston College). It is extremely tough, and extremely rare, for a team north of the Mason Dixon line to run with the big dawgs of NCAA FB... except with the only exception being Penn State.

Good observation... I think that one of the critical success factors for these guys is the ability to attract solid Coordinators who can carry a big part of the load while they acclimate themselves. I'm really hoping that Marrone can find that veteran coach to help him out... especially if he's on the defensive side of the house (and believes in being aggressive).

Do you know something you are not telling us ??

The NFL might be changing to what is currently successful college football. Cam newton, RG3, Russell Wilson. all running versions of their college offense. Mike Sherman the Dolphins OC coached Miami rookie QB Ryan Tennahill in college. I can see this as a way to fast track their respective teams to winning and getting the QB's up to speed quickly.

But ya know what, there is a drawback to the read option, and running QB's as NFL defenses are so much faster and hit so much harder. What will the NFL lifespan of RG3 be, considering the Skins gave up the farm for him?

Meanwhile QB's like Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, Matt Ryan, Aaron Rodgers all on the top edge of vying for this years SB trophy are the "pocket" QB's and will always be better then the running QB's IMO.

So, the question is... was Doug Marrone hired so the Bills can draft Syracuse QB Ryan Nassib, and Marrone can run his Orangeman offense in Buffalo?

So, the question is... was Doug Marrone hired so the Bills can draft Syracuse QB Ryan Nassib, and Marrone can run his Orangeman offense in Buffalo?

That is totally ridiculous. Russ Brandon, his first huge gig... CEO of an NFL team at a relatively young age, and he's going to think so little of that opportunity that he's going to base his head coach selection on the presumption that a QB that he may or may not draft would like that decision? The Bills could draft Nassib regardless of who the coach is. Nassib may or may not be drafted by the Bills. And, there is no guarantee that Nassib will succeed at the pro level whether he is or not.

Doug Marrone was hired as HC because Brandon believes he can turn the team's fortune around.... regardless of Nassib.