OT: Pegula blocks Browns

I don't see what the big deal is. Anything that anybody says is generally a half truth since self-deception is so prevalent in the human condition. You have to make judgements based on actions. If the guy is staying put then what's the big deal? The man took the job primarily because they will pay him. If he stays because they paid him more, then good for him. Whatever his motivation is why can't the fact that he is remaining as HC be acceptable?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I dunno, I actually view it more in a negative light. If I'm a recruit, do I want to play for a guy who is interviewing for NFL teams and is likely not going to be there all 4 years?

You have to remember - as far as recruiting goes- this is child molester u.

Having legitimacy added to what they have left isn't always a bad thing. Especially when coach turns all those teams down because what they have going is worth staying for.

No coach is promised to be around 4 years.

Edited by NoSaint

Why would you donate a dime to that place. They shouldn't even have football there anymore.

Just a few reason I can think of off the top of my head:

It's his alma mater

he's from PA in the first place

He already invested in the hockey program

his formerly owned company was based out of PA

I agree that the football program should receive nothing like this for what happened but he has his own reasons to help the school.

Edited by The Wiz

Just a few reason I can think of off the top of my head:

It's his alma mater

he's from PA in the first place

He already invested in the hockey program

his formerly owned company was based out of PA

I agree that the football program should receive nothing like this for what happened but he has his own reasons to help the school.

Great donate to academic programs then. Anything but that football program. What a jerk.

why must you consistently defend mediocrity?

god forbid a buffalo fan expect one of his two hometown teams to (occasionally) make the playoffs.

start expecting more from your teams, promo. you've devoted 18,0000+ posts to the bills alone. don't you think you deserve a playoff game once a decade?

I'm not defending anything. I'm pointing out how silly you look. You act like kid being denied candy by the mean parent. Like all Buffalo sports teams are bad just to piss you off.

Terry Pegula is the best thing to happen to Buffalo. He's the owner we all cry we want: passionate, rich, willing to do whatever to win. But because the Sabres didn't make the playoffs in his first full year of ownership you are acting like he's not trying hard enough.

So if the most passionate owner in the NHL won't satisfy you, which one will? And what happens when the Sabres make the playoffs and lose in round 1? Whaaaa! It gets tiresome.

PTR

Edited by PromoTheRobot

Would anyone have attacked Obama if he simply said "I was a college student. It was the sixties. Many if not most of my peers were experimenting with drugs. I took a drag of a marijuana cigarette. I'm not proud of it but it's the truth. Please don't judge me by that."

But instead he said "I didn't inhale."

Lie.

If you want to actually teach these college kids, how about being truthful?

Bill said that. Obama has been very straightforward about his younger years, although it's not as politically risky as it was in the early 90s.

Obama was an unabashed weed smoker in the 80's.

Obviously I meant Clinton.

The point is the same.

How about some honesty from O'Brien instead of insulting BS.

Great donate to academic programs then. Anything but that football program. What a jerk.

Clearly you're out of touch with how colleges work. Big time athletic teams bring in HUGE $$$$$ to the university, which allows the school to do things with that money aside from just improving athletic facilities. As a state facility, its a lot easier to ask the PA state government to give bonuses and such to important faculty members if your football or basketball program is bringing in 10 million or MORE in profit every year.

I'm not defending anything. I'm pointing out how silly you look. You act like kid being denied candy by the mean parent. Like all Buffalo sports teams are bad just to piss you off.

Terry Pegula is the best thing to happen to Buffalo. He's the owner we all cry we want: passionate, rich, willing to do whatever to win. But because the Sabres didn't make the playoffs in his first full year of ownership you are acting like he's not trying hard enough.

So if the most passionate owner in the NHL won't satisfy you, which one will? And what happens when the Sabres make the playoffs and lose in round 1? Whaaaa! It gets tiresome.

PTR

Oh, snap!

I do like the Ralph is too cheap and Pegula is too rich narrative on his line of thought though. It is a fantastic disconnect.

PTR

wow. so disagreeing with pegula's most important decision (i.e., who to hire as g.m. and coach) warrants a "whaaaa" response? taking issue with his (documented) assertion that the buffalo news was somehow more responsible for the sabres disappointing play in recent years than darcy and lindy makes me "silly"? uhm, ok.

and, yes, you are defending those decisions by taking issue with my original comment, which is fine. you're the cheerleader here. i get it.

and please note, i never said he wasn't "trying hard enough." dude installed beer cup shelves above the urinals.

Edited by Dirtbag

It's his money to do with what he wants. Donating to the football program(or any sports program) doesn't necessarily mean that the academic side of it is going to not benefit. Better teams have better enrollment but doesn't make the quality of the education better unfortunately.

The last 24 hours have been emotional for me, as a penn stater. 24 hours ago I trusted O'Brien 100%. He came into a difficult situation, handled himself perfectly, embraced the success with honor mantra, recruited top notch high character kids ( see Adam Brenneman and Christian Hackensberg if you want to know who I am talking about here) and was everything I hoped the next penn state coach would be (although I was NOT in favor of his hire originally he won me over very quickly).

The last 24 hours has left me (and probably others) feelin betrayed. I think coach O'Brien can win me back, and I am going to reserve much further comment on my feelings toward him until more of the story comes out and I hear from O'Brien himself. If there is one thig I learned over the past 18 months its that initial reports are often wrong, the media often doesn't know what the truth is, and the general public is horribly misinformed in facts (and this conclusion is only partly based on the Sanduaky scandal, but there are countless other examples too).

Nobody from the obrien side has even confirmed an interview yet. Only that he "talked to teams". Symantics maybe, but it could also prive his intent to never leave in the first place. The rumors around PSU seem to indicate this wasn't necessarily a money grab. Rumor has it that some/Most of the salary increase may be going to his assistant coaches. O'Brien may have also played hard ball to get the AD to resign (well find out today if that is true, but it is a positive development if it is).

The other factor here is that O'Brien has a 19M buyout in his contract. That significantly hampers his future mobility. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see that reduced if in fact he reworked his deal.

And lastly, the team and recruits. O'Brien may not be here in 2014. But name me one big time college program who's head coach is guaranteed to be there in 2014? Saban? Les Miles? Chris Peterson? Chip Kelly? Brian Kelly? They are all mobile and can leave at the drop of a hat. I hoped O'Brien was different, and I hoped that penn state was different, but maybe they are not.

I don't think this hurts with recruits. From what I have seen on twitter, O'Brien appears to have informed his staff and team to ignore the rumors. If in fact O'Brien said to them "I am going to be back next year, but I am going to interview with nfl teams to do X,Y, and Z". And that is exactly what happened....well there is all the trust you need.

And in top of that, if you are a top recruit, with nfl aspirations, wouldn't you want to play college football for a coach the NFL IS drooling over?

Bubbling this back up since O'Brien talked yesterday.

The media report that he got a $1.3M raise....False.

The media report that he asked for a raise....False.

The media report that he formally interviewed with teams...False (though he did reach our and contact them and had some preliminary discussions)

The media report that the school lied to him about pending NCAA sanctions...False

The media report that he was interviewing for leverage...False

I am tired of listening to the media on ESPN. It is so bogus its funny. You listen to Russ Brandon at the Doug Marrone Press Conference and even Brandon said (paraphrasing) "there is so much wrong information out there its amazing"

I dont know what to think anymore...I just ask everyone to withold judgment until facts are available in the future. Whether it is this Bill O'Brien Story, The Debt Ceiling, Healthcare laws, The Sandusky Scandal, or whatever it is... try your best to not let the media (and particularly E-SPiN) allow you to frame your opinions.

I wish i could swear off E-SPiN all together. Damn them for having all the programing I want to watch!