Jim Haslett

jumbalaya

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He is doing a phenomenal job with Washington D. Did a good job at HC at New Orleans. He is a player's coach. I would not mind him at all. Wife is from Clarence.

I was real surprised they didn't interview him 3 years ago when he was available. Not sure if there is something we don't know about him, since he has kinda bounced around since he got fired in New Orleans 7 or 8 years ago, even coaching in the UFL. I wouldn't say Washington's defense is phenomenal, but it is playing much better the second half of the season, and that is without their best player (Orakpo). Would love to see Haslett come back to Buffalo where he was a fan favorite, but I think he might be better suited to come back as the defensive coordinator. The memory I will always have of him (besides talking to him in the parking lot) is when he stepped on Terry Bradshaw's helmetless bald head and got tossed.

No one of consequence will ever coach in Buffalo. Bills haven't signed a big name coach since Ground Chuck. Marv was a nobody that happened upon the best team in the NFL.

Marv didn't just "happen" upon Buffalo. He gave Polian a job in the CFL, which was his connection to being hired here. I love how people give no credit to Levy for what his teams accomplished? Go ask Kelly, Reed, Thurman or anyone else is Levy had anything to do with it. Edited by BuffBill

Things to keep in mind:

He's an awful coach

Mike shanahan has publicly said Kyle wouldn't be able to interview until after their season is done - I'd assume no double standard among his coordinators so you'd have to wait til after they lose

If this team does not field an upper tier QB, it really doesn't matter who they hire as head coach. Chan Gailey would still be here if Fitzpatrick could have performed like he did in the beginning of 2011. Gailey's system wasn't really all that flawed, his QB just quit performing.

Marv Levy doesn't have the coaching career without Jim Kelly, and Bellicheat doesn't look like a coaching genius without Tom Brady. Need another one? Mike Shannahan was starting to look like a tired old retread until he got his hands on RG3.

It REALLY doesn't matter who they hire, this team needs a QB first.

I swear to God - if they hire Haslett I am 100% done with this team. I know it sounds like a hollow, meaningless threat but I am dead serious - I won't purchase a single ticket or piece of merchandise or give a single fart about the team from that point onward. He is not only an idiot, he is also an a-hole and a terrible coach.

That said, I doubt they hire Haslett.

Doubt it. He's failed as a HC before, and I'm willing to bet he'd turn out more like a Mike Mularkey than a Pete Carroll. They need to sell tickets, bringing in a former failure wont help.

What constitutes failure in your eyes?

He took over a 3-13 team and in his first year went 10-6 and made the playoffs for the first time for NO in like ever.

Named NFL Coach of the year.

2 losing seasons in 6 years with a slug at QB.

Top defenses year in and year out.

Brees comes in after he leaves and makes Sean Payton look like a genius.

If this team does not field an upper tier QB, it really doesn't matter who they hire as head coach. Chan Gailey would still be here if Fitzpatrick could have performed like he did in the beginning of 2011. Gailey's system wasn't really all that flawed, his QB just quit performing.

Marv Levy doesn't have the coaching career without Jim Kelly, and Bellicheat doesn't look like a coaching genius without Tom Brady. Need another one? Mike Shannahan was starting to look like a tired old retread until he got his hands on RG3.

It REALLY doesn't matter who they hire, this team needs a QB first.

IMO you're taking this argument way too far.

You're virtually saying that it doesn't matter who the head coach is even though I don't think you actually believe that.

Of course you need a quarterback.

You also need a competent head coach. And if you're gonna argue that head coaches don't make a difference…

Absolute pure crap article. I work in D.C. and heard Chris Russel's report. He simply said he "feels" the Bills could have interest because of Haslett's past with the Bills. He went on to say he has not been able to confirm there is interest, as NFL rules stipulate that the Bills could not speak with his agent, him or the Redskins yet, as the NFL only allows a team to make a request to speak with another team's employee if the team is on a bye week.

IMO you're taking this argument way too far.

You're virtually saying that it doesn't matter who the head coach is even though I don't think you actually believe that.

Of course you need a quarterback.

You also need a competent head coach. And if you're gonna argue that head coaches don't make a difference…

agreed that this board gets carried away on the QB makes everything argument.

in reality you need a dynamic QB-HC pairing, and a solid GM that can load a roster for them. Those 3 positions must have some good synergy going for anything sustained to come through.

agreed that this board gets carried away on the QB makes everything argument.

in reality you need a dynamic QB-HC pairing, and a solid GM that can load a roster for them. Those 3 positions must have some good synergy going for anything sustained to come through.

True but Belichick was about to get fired from his 2nd job if Mo Lewis doesn't come along. Now, he is one of the all time greats. I think Joe Gibbs might be the greatest coach ever because he won with 3 different QBs who weren't HOF caliber.

I have serious doubts that the Bills are interested in Jim Haslett...but if they are interested, it would be a clear indication that Mr Wilson is serious about handing the team completely over to Russ Brandon. Mr Wilson is not very fond of Haslett.

Edited by Buftex

So did Bill Belichek before the Pats. For that matter Tom Coughlin too

Coughlin has only been a head coach in two places, he has two Super Bowl trophies in NY and took a second year expansion team to the AFC Championship game in just their second year in existence (including beating the Bills at Rich Stadium in Jim Kelly's last game). Belicheck had a good team in Cleveland that won 11 games then was in first place in 1995 when it was announced that the team was moving to Baltimore and never recovered. He could have turned the Browns in to a Super Bowl Champ. Alot of coaches are successful after one or two unsuccessful runs as HC (Marv Levy in KC), but your two are poor examples.

True but Belichick was about to get fired from his 2nd job if Mo Lewis doesn't come along. Now, he is one of the all time greats. I think Joe Gibbs might be the greatest coach ever because he won with 3 different QBs who weren't HOF caliber.

People remember Mo Lewis but there was yet another wild factor that propelled the Patriots into the playoffs that year and onto their dynasty - it was the Bills game that year in Buffalo. The Pats won that game because a fumble caused and recovered by the Bills was negated where the Patriots' receiver who fumbled was knocked unconscious by the hit, and his unconscious head was laying out of bounds when the Bills recovered the football. I've never seen anything like it before or since. If the Pats lost that game they would not have made the playoffs. Ergo, if not for an unconscious head, the Patriots' dynasty may never have happened.

Then I guess they should be looking at Brian Billick, he won a Super Bowl with probably the weakest quarterback to ever win one.