A Da Ja Vue Comparison of 2 Great Coaches

T master

To all Bills fans none of us can argue ( that use common sense) that the greatest Bills coach of all time is Marv Levy . Although he made it to the SB 4 times & didn't win changes nothing for me any way, that feat will never be done again i don't believe.

In all of the Bills mediocrity i have been a staunch proponent of one perfect fit for a future HC for our team. I for one cannot see why he hasn't been in the conversation to this point at all ? The comparisons of Levy & this guy i will talk about are uncanny to say the least..

They both started out in college as coach or coaching volunteers.

They both were NFL coordinators.

Both coached or had a in depth relationship with Bill Walsh.

Both had Jim Kelly as QB of there teams.

Both coached the Montreal Alouettes to 2 Grey Cup Championships (one 2 consecutive)

Both have similar philosophy's about coaching, high character players & QB's one being a highly respected QB coach

This coach i compare to our own Levy if you haven't guessed by now is Marc Trestman which has recently passed Levy's winning percentage in the CFL . With our team being in the lower echelon of the NFL it would be hard to get a high profile coach such as Gruden , Cowher, Reid to take on the Bills as a project let alone to stay long enough to make us a winner with out paying a kings ransom to do so.

I think Trestman is the absolute perfect person for the job because he hasn't been a HC in the NFL as of yet but has the familiarity with the league & the respect of the coaches he has worked with in the NFL.

He has a great history of coaching winning QB's & winning as a coach although it is in the CFL, but that will be a plus for the Bills as far as not paying a kings ransom, he would be able to prove himself to be a great NFL coach the next step in his progression as a coach in a higher profile league. And he is new blood in the head coaching tree in the NFL.

Last he has played in the cold & his kids are grown & it wouldn't be a huge thing for him to be able or willing to come to Buffalo.

I don't know about the rest of you Bills fans but there is enough here & if you do some of your own digging on this guy i think it would only further make you a Billeiver that he would be perfect to stand along the sideline at the Ralph & lead our team to victory !!!

Edited by T master

Wow, talk about an irresistible thread title.

and while the "greatest" Bills coach was Levy, the BEST was Chuck Knox.

Have no idea about Trestman but the way they do business here he's more likely to wind up with the job than Gruden or Cowher, that's for sure.

I really like the suggestion of Marc Trestman as the Bills next head coach. I totally forgot about him. He does seem like the perfect fit for the Buffalo Bills and I'll bet there are a lot of coordinators/coaches out there who would love to work with him. He's been everywhere so I'm sure he could assemble a great coaching staff.

Here's a Trestman interview...

http://www.wralsport...7/#/vid11923779

And here's a book he's written with glowing reviews...

http://www.amazon.co...k/dp/0978780930

I mentioned Mike McCoy in another thread, but Marc Trestman is a guy I could totally get behind as a smart, solid head coaching pick. He'd be invaluable for the Bills who will be picking a QB early in the 2013 draft. I'd trust his opinion over any GM out there. Then you get the added value of having the king of QB coaches to bring him along the right way.

Edited by 1billsfan

Lou Saban was the best, 2 championships. Teams stepped up in title games. Underdogs in both, big underdogs in second.

I don't understand how Levy couldn't win one of four with Kelly, Smith, Thomas, Lofton all hall of famers, and several near hall of famers who would have made it if they could have won one(Reed, Bennett, Tasker and others).

They were never ready for the big game. That Redskins game was a complete embarassment, blown out from the gate. He was outcoached in all the others also. Giants beating us with back up qb, yikes.

Lou Saban was the best, 2 championships. Teams stepped up in title games. Underdogs in both, big underdogs in second.

I don't understand how Levy couldn't win one of four with Kelly, Smith, Thomas, Lofton all hall of famers, and several near hall of famers who would have made it if they could have won one(Reed, Bennett, Tasker and others).

They were never ready for the big game. That Redskins game was a complete embarassment, blown out from the gate. He was outcoached in all the others also. Giants beating us with back up qb, yikes.

Can't argue with this...

I have to wonder a bit about this guy, as many coaching changes every year and he never got a chance anywhere as a HC?? People here used to always joke about Chuck Lester having something on RW that's why he was still employed by the Bill's for all those years, have to wonder if Lester was somehow able to pinn it on Tresmann as that could explain how he never got a HC gig.

But in all seriousness does make me wonder about the guy? Something just doesn't smell quite right.

I have to wonder a bit about this guy, as many coaching changes every year and he never got a chance anywhere as a HC?? People here used to always joke about Chuck Lester having something on RW that's why he was still employed by the Bill's for all those years, have to wonder if Lester was somehow able to pinn it on Tresmann as that could explain how he never got a HC gig.

But in all seriousness does make me wonder about the guy? Something just doesn't smell quite right.

Well as I've always pointed out about Trestman, he's been a bit of a vagabond, not unlike Lou Saban.

However he's spent the last 5 years in Montreal in which time he's won two Grey Cup Championships and two Coach of the Year awards so he seems to have settled down a bit.

When Trestman's name last came up about two months ago, someone here mentioned that he told the Bills during their Gailey hiring cycle that he was not interested in the job.

I've championed him several times and would be happy to see him get a chance here. His credentials and experience are pretty outstanding.

Referencing another thread here, when Gruden coached the 2002 Raiders, Trestman was the OC, and Harbaugh was the QB Coach. Gannon of course had an MVP season that year.