Baylor coach Art Briles Head Coach

Hatszel

I was thinking that Art Briles might make a great new face to introduce to the NFL as the Bill head coach. We have been the retread route with no success. He has produced RG III and the Redskins have adapted his offense for him in the NFL and have had success. He took a new QB Nick Florence who surpassed RG's numbers in passing this year. I think he would give us a fresh face that would make the step up to come to Buffalo and show what he can do on a pro level.

http://scores.espn.go.com/ncf/recap?gameId=323620026

I don't know about him, he may be a great candidate, but I do agree with your assessment of a "retread" coach. It always baffles me why so many mediocre coaches get rehired. Why are NFL GMs and owners so reluctant to hire fresh people? I would love to see the Bills go with someone new to the NFL, who would bring creativity and energy to the team.

I don't know about him, he may be a great candidate, but I do agree with your assessment of a "retread" coach. It always baffles me why so many mediocre coaches get rehired. Why are NFL GMs and owners so reluctant to hire fresh people? I would love to see the Bills go with someone new to the NFL, who would bring creativity and energy to the team.

It certainly has worked with the likes of Jim Harbaugh, but just remember that NFL teams don't necessarily hire "new" faces because they're an unknown (as to how well they can coach at this level). The "retreads" get rehired because of the idea that they have experience and could do well in their second time around. That usually only works with the hall of fame-type coaches, but John Fox had success in Carolina and now in Denver and even Jeff Fisher is starting to turn things around in St. Louis.

That said, the league has had a really good stretch of new head coaches doing well - both Harbaughs, Mike Smith, for example. We could even say that guys like Mike McCarthy, Leslie Frazier, and Sean Payton have all had good success in their first stint as coaches. Frazier may be a bit of a stretch, but the Vikings are in the playoffs as of today in his second year.

I guess my point is that if a "retread" is hired, it really needs to be the right guy in the right situation. Many of us wanted an experienced coach after Gregg Williams and Mike Mularkey. Well, we got it...twice. It can work, but not always.

Because experience isn't a bad thing