What Hasn't Changed In 13 Seasons

T master

Besides the obvious, not making the play offs in the last 13 seasons i was wondering what else hasn't changed in that time span ?

We have had multiple coaching staffs, players have changed of course, but what or who in the organization hasn't changed that may have kept our team in this funk ?

Ownership might be the first that comes to mind but Ralph, although all of the posts of how cheap he is & how he should sell the team, he has opened his check book & paid for some players that should make a difference, if they don't then he can't help that. Not to mention the opinions of his past championship & HOF players have of him which are generally good, so i say he must be a good owner despite fan opinion .

GM's have changed but i don't know that the best people for the job have been chosen (Marv ?) And the firing of Pollian was among one of the dumbest moves in NFL history !! (i'm just saying)

The one thing that i think (which i'm not real sure about) is the scouts. Those involved in figuring out who we draft. I know we have gotten rid of Modrak which was a start but who ever was the one that said bring in players like Maybin over Orapko needs to be fired immediately !!

For the most part i think that staff has stayed intact over the past ??? so many years. Every year when we see the people talk about players in the draft for the most part they are the same, that may be a place to make some changes or a start in getting a more in depth or experienced look at the talent that is coming out.

Because besides a few exceptions S.J , C.J , Byrd , Levetre later round players, we have missed on quite a few early rounders in our drafts over the years (Maybin, Edwards, Losman, A Williams)

So could that be one area that needs to be over hauled ? I don't know that's why i'm asking you !! Can you think of anything else that could be changed that hasn't since our last play off appearance ?

Edited by T master

I'm working on a new OP on this very subject. Part of my analysis shows the fact that we've drafted only 3 QBs 2000-2012 while our nemesis New England has drafted 7. This is also at a time when New England had acquired Brady & the Bills traded their 1st round in 2003 for Bledsoe. This pick turned out to be the 13th pick in the draft that the Pats used to draft Ty Warren.

To compound our issues we have spent 3 1st round picks in 2003, 2007, & 2010 on running backs while also using a 2nd round pick in 2001 on another one.

We traded Peerless Price to get McGahee which killed our pass offense in 2003.

There were draft successes but the failures of Mike Williams #4 2002, Aaron Maybin #9 2009 have severely hampered our progress.

If you believe in continuity & I am one who doesn't then the obvious decision must be made to acquire a franchise QB. Now we can either gamble future draft picks on an existing veteran starter Rivers or Flacco or someone's #2 like Ryan Mallett, Matt Flynn, etc.

We've already done the whole draft picks thing with Rob Johnson & Bledsoe.

We need a long-term solution at QB. Now that could entail trading the house for Geno Smith, or bottoming out in 2013 finishing in last place like Indy 1997 &, 2011 or we can hope on a late round bloomer like Russell Wilson. I caution you that anyone below the 2nd round has a 10% success rate.

Edited by BigCountryBills

QB league, without one you're wasting your time. Shanahan was finished and deemed out of touch with coaching when he had Beck and Grossman as QBs, he's back to being an offensive guru and mentor with RGIII.

It is a QB league. Since 2000 we've drafted 3 QB's and New England drafted 7. Shockingly when Brady went down the first game of 2008, 2005 7th round pick Matt Cassel came in and directed them to a 11-5 record. This is the same Cassel who hadn't started a game since his senior year of high school.

It is an intelligence & systems league. You need to take risk, and play the percentages. A few risky 4th down calls can be the difference of an extra win or two that win the game and get you in the playoffs.

The Bills are too conservative for the modern NFL. Following the mantra of "Let's draft more runners" has gotten us nowhere.

I'm working on a new OP on this very subject. Part of my analysis shows the fact that we've drafted only 3 QBs 2000-2012 while our nemesis New England has drafted 7. This is also at a time when New England had acquired Brady & the Bills traded their 1st round in 2003 for Bledsoe. This pick turned out to be the 13th pick in the draft that the Pats used to draft Ty Warren.

To compound our issues we have spent 3 1st round picks in 2003, 2007, & 2010 on running backs while also using a 2nd round pick in 2001 on another one.

We traded Peerless Price to get McGahee which killed our pass offense in 2003.

There were draft successes but the failures of Mike Williams #4 2002, Aaron Maybin #9 2009 have severely hampered our progress.

If you believe in continuity & I am one who doesn't then the obvious decision must be made to acquire a franchise QB. Now we can either gamble future draft picks on an existing veteran starter Rivers or Flacco or someone's #2 like Ryan Mallett, Matt Flynn, etc.

We've already done the whole draft picks thing with Rob Johnson & Bledsoe.

We need a long-term solution at QB. Now that could entail trading the house for Geno Smith, or bottoming out in 2013 finishing in last place like Indy 1997 &, 2011 or we can hope on a late round bloomer like Russell Wilson. I caution you that anyone below the 2nd round has a 10% success rate.

To be fair, they traded price when he was franchised... now drafting a running back there is another story, but I dont fault them for trading the guy.

I also do not put much value in your argument of who we drafted, and when, because they were under different regimes.

This all comes down to stability, which they have none. I do not put all the blame on Ralph. The man lives in Michigan, and is 90+... I personally feel he is just happy to get up in the morning. Lets not kid ourselves, the team is run by Jeff Littman (operates out of Michigan) and Russ Brandon (operates out of Buffalo). Until those two guys are gone, nothing will change. Sadly, a regime change like that will not change until Ralph passes.

Seriously, the main reason why they struggled to sign a big time coach 3 years ago was due to too many hands being in the cookie jar. They have a reputation around the league of being a poorly run organization from top to bottom. I did not love Mularkey, but the man quit... we remember that, right? He straight up left because of all the nonsense.

Dump those two and things might change.

Edited by CubesExperience

Since the departure of Bill Polian, and the all too brief tenure of Jerry Butler, we have brought in a parade of third rate GM's that have been unable to competently build the team through the draft and/or free agency. Further, the other constant has been that our under talented roster has been coached by people who were not up to the task of head coach in the NFL. One thing that has not changed in the past 13 seasons is that we have been under talented and poorly coached.

Since the departure of Bill Polian, and the all too brief tenure of Jerry Butler, we have brought in a parade of third rate GM's that have been unable to competently build the team through the draft and/or free agency. Further, the other constant has been that our under talented roster has been coached by people who were not up to the task of head coach in the NFL. One thing that has not changed in the past 13 seasons is that we have been under talented and poorly coached.

May i be the first to ay Welcome to the sight if this is in fact your first post !!!