Buffalo Bills Pursuing Continuity With Buddy Nix, Chan Gailey

ThrowingFitz

Ok. I'm trying to stay from this thread but I just can't hold it anymore.

FWIW, I agree that continuity is the better way to go. I agree that Chan could probably do much better with a better QB leading the team. I agree that with the defense either continuing to improve with what we've got, or with a new DC and a few more pieces he'd be better. And I agree that no real coach would want to come to this sinking ship of a franchise.

However, here's a few things that should be clear why we want Gailey to be fired immediately.

-regardless how bad the QB position is, Chan has refused to run the ball more. The inability to utilize Freddy and CJ more as our offenses best weapons.

-the horrible time management, player management, gametime decisions, and inability to get this team into the winning mentality.

-regardless if the defense is not his thing, he hand picked his DC. He still refuses, no matter how bad, to speak of the unit. Your the HC, you must have accountability.

-even if we did manage to get the best young rookie QB in the draft, does anyone really think he starts over Fitz? Chan has married himself to Fitz and it should be his demise. Also, even if the QB was picked up, do you really trust Chan as the one to coach him? I sure don't.

-no matter who the next HC is, he's gotta be better than Chan and his 15-33 record.

At the end of the day, we could have all the weapons in place and Chan would still make the wrong personnel decisions on game day. Would still make all the wrong play calls in game day. Would still be a losing coach.

That's all I have to say. I have no faith in Gailey. If he's here, ill still be buying season tickets because I love this team. Because I love the NFL experience. But I have no hope for this team until Chan is gone as our HC or he proves me wrong and were playing in January.

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only continuity I have witnessed since the departure of Wade Phillips is the continuity of losing. I see no reason whatsoever to keep Chan Gailey on for any length of time - not even until tomorrow morning.

We are talking about a head coach who, week after week, season after season, has mismanaged his pool of talent while also proving to be an demonstrably unmitigated disaster at game management. A head coach so convinced of and enamored with his own brilliance that he consistently outsmarts himself. A head coach who, after a full complement of OTAs, minicamps, training camp, and preseason, declared that Trent Edwards gave the Bills the best chance to win - displaying his own toughness and hard-nosed attitude in the process by dressing down a rebellious gang of 12-year-old hooligans at St. Jon Fisher who dared to question Trentative's football acumen (and Gailey's sanity) - only to then realize just two weeks later what he should have seen - if he were indeed the QB developer and offensive genius we were misled to believe - what we already knew for at least two years (namely, that Trent sucks.) A head coach who is constantly out-coached, and who consistently loses to teams that - at least on paper - are of inferior talent.

It borders on the criminal that Chan Gailey and Dave Wannstedt were still employed as of 8:00 PM Sunday night, are still employed today, and that Ralph & Co. still keep reaching into my pocket 'til they've drained me of every last shekel.

No more. Not another freakin' dime, Ralph. You hear me, old man???

I'll always be a fan, but there's no way I'm opening my checkbook again for this abortion of a football operation until we see something drastic - like Bill Cowher as HC and Alex Van Pelt as OC,

Or, alternatively, as both HC & OC...

Mike Leach

GO BILLSSS!!!!

(And take the Sabres with you!!!!!)

post-2970-0-07131800-1355867237_thumb.jpg

Edited by The Senator

Man, there's going to be a lot of pissed off people on this board when Gailey and Nix are retained. Prepare youselves, perhaps you would prefer the Mayan's to be correct over that? I think that's the only thing that will change things, they'll be here next year and that's for the better IMHO.

The Bills might do well to have the continuity for 2013, take their medicine of a two to three win season, and thus be in prime position to draft a true franchise QB in the 2014 draft. Hopefully that will be a great QB draft.

Maybe draft for defense and depth this coming draft. I know it sucks to think of it this way, but it may be the best way to go if they want a decade long run at a championship like the Colts and Skins will have. That 2013 schedule doesn't look so promising without a real franchise QB anyways.

Man, there's going to be a lot of pissed off people on this board when Gailey and Nix are retained. Prepare youselves, perhaps you would prefer the Mayan's to be correct over that? I think that's the only thing that will change things, they'll be here next year and that's for the better IMHO.

Fans like you deserve the miserable results the Bills provide because you condone their actions and accept their stupidity.

Fans like you deserve the miserable results the Bills provide because you condone their actions and accept their stupidity.

So, what we need is, another 3 years and out, because that's what's worked in the past. Its worked out after Malarky (sp?) and the corpse to give them 3 years and then make them walk. Fans like you are apart of the new ADD generation, no patience, that means no continuity, and no chance at anything in the next few years. Go ahead, wish for it.

This is a definite step to continuously lose.

The short sightedness that you and many others choose to see, yes. You just don't believe anything can change from year to year, for whatever reason, teams can be completely different from one to the next. We'll see what happens.

How in the fu** is that better? Chan Gailey will never coach a team to the playoffs again in his career. Ever. But what the hell...let's preach continuity...because blowing it up proves we fu**ed up in the first place....

So, what we need is, another 3 years and out, because that's what's worked in the past. Its worked out after Malarky (sp?) and the corpse to give them 3 years and then make them walk. Fans like you are apart of the new ADD generation, no patience, that means no continuity, and no chance at anything in the next few years. Go ahead, wish for it.

The short sightedness that you and many others choose to see, yes. You just don't believe anything can change from year to year, for whatever reason, teams can be completely different from one to the next. We'll see what happens.

I believe something can change, sure, with a competent coach and FO. We don't have one. How is Chan going to ever take this team anywhere? Have you watched a game? Or are you Crayonz in disguise?

Bravo, Crayonz...bravo.

If you can't see the idiocy in front of you on a weekly basis, that's your problem. Continuity is useless when it's obvious that the people in charge aren't good enough. Three years and no tangible progress. Make it four if the ever-important continuity wins out, because you'll be watching another awful, direction-less team. If you get your wish, a harsh lesson will be taught. Enjoy it.

How in the fu** is that better? Chan Gailey will never coach a team to the playoffs again in his career. Ever. But what the hell...let's preach continuity...because blowing it up proves we fu**ed up in the first place....

I believe something can change, sure, with a competent coach and FO. We don't have one. How is Chan going to ever take this team anywhere? Have you watched a game? Or are you Crayonz in disguise?

Bravo, Crayonz...bravo.

Another soothsayer I see. What does your crystal ball say the winning number in the powerball is going to be tommorow. Please, PM me the numbers so I can win! I see you can so arrogantly see the future by saying that Chan will NEVER coach a team to the playoffs. What I'm saying, is that another year in the same system vs trying to blow it all up will not be any better. In fact it will set us back.

I hear a lot of people try and retort me with the whole "lather, rinse, and repeat" argument. Well, I'll opine that it is the ADD generation that is doing that with the 3 year and out attitude. Will we learn from our mistakes or continue to pick up the pitchforks and doom ourselves to repeat recent history?

If you can't see the idiocy in front of you on a weekly basis, that's your problem. Continuity is useless when it's obvious that the people in charge aren't good enough. Three years and no tangible progress. Make it four if the ever-important continuity wins out, because you'll be watching another awful, direction-less team. If you get your wish, a harsh lesson will be taught. Enjoy it.

Soothsayers are abound here I see

What I'm saying, is that another year in the same system vs trying to blow it all up will not be any better. In fact it will set us back.

Nope. Not if an upgrade is brought in, and finding an upgrade over Chan Gailey wouldn't exactly be difficult. Then again, you probably think the 49ers made a mistake in eschewing continuity when they fired moronic Mike Singletary and hired Jim Harbaugh. If a coach has proven himself as ineffective, you make a change and hope you make the right choice with your next hire. That's that. But keep on apologizing for 15-31 Gailey, whose teams are still consistently getting run off the field three years into his tenure. Go back in the annals of NFL history and find a coach with a worse record who was retained after three years. It just doesn't happen.

Nope. Not if an upgrade is brought in, and finding an upgrade over Chan Gailey wouldn't exactly be difficult. Then again, you probably think the 49ers made a mistake in eschewing continuity when they fired moronic Mike Singletary and hired Jim Harbaugh. If a coach has proven himself as ineffective, you make a change and hope you make the right choice with your next hire. That's that. But keep on apologizing for 15-31 Gailey, whose teams are still consistently getting run off the field three years into his tenure. Go back in the annals of NFL history and find a coach with a worse record who was retained after three years. It just doesn't happen.

Please tell me where I'm apologizing for Gailey? Did I say something wehre he's been the greatest coach ever to date or something? Do I sing his praises? No, I dont think I do. Why don't you go into the annals and find out how many 1st year coaches in the entire history have done a good job. I bet you'll find, more often than not, it takes a couple years to get anything going. Once again, continuity is the way to go.

How are you so sure that the next coach is going to be an upgrade? There were many here who though anybody would be an upgrade over the corpse, anyone, a 5 year old kid. What happened there with your opinion?

and if nobody buys tickets. the biggest change they will make is the city they play for.

Good!

The people of Buffalo are spending "scared" money and this front office knows it. Its time to call their bluff or this steaming pile is what you will get every sunday. Eventually even the most loyal of fans which Buffalo is full of will turn away from this **** sandwich they feed us every year.

Edited by LVBillsBackr

Please tell me where I'm apologizing for Gailey? Did I say something wehre he's been the greatest coach ever to date or something? Do I sing his praises? No, I dont think I do. Why don't you go into the annals and find out how many 1st year coaches in the entire history have done a good job. I bet you'll find, more often than not, it takes a couple years to get anything going. Once again, continuity is the way to go.

Plenty of first-year head coaches have overseen progression in the teams they took over. Go back in the annals and find a 15-31 coach having a good fourth year. Again, it doesn't happen. You know why? Because no team is stupid enough to give someone who's that woefully ineffective a fourth year. I know Buddy Nix is an imbecile, but I just hope he's not dumb enough to think like you when it's time to make a coaching decision at season's end.

Plenty of first-year head coaches have overseen progression in the teams they took over. Go back in the annals and find a 15-31 coach having a good fourth year. Again, it doesn't happen. You know why? Because no team is stupid enough to give someone who's that woefully ineffective a fourth year. I know Buddy Nix is an imbecile, but I just hope he's not dumb enough to think like you when it's time to make a coaching decision at season's end.

So you're calling me dumb? That has to be a COC problem. Anyway, I asked you to look it up, as in get a percentage, and I bet you find less than 20% of first year coaches are successful in their first year. Compare that to 4th year coaches. Then get back to me.

Look man, we'll have to agree to disagree, you're obviously about the, "blow it all up" and hope we get a coach that can make it happen. Probably because you've been suckered in by recent first year coaches doing well. I maintain RECENT first year coaches, vs across the entire time the NFL has graced this great land. The recent trend is not the rule its an abberation and we're bound to have a rash of bad first year coaches. Stay the course, and lets see what happens.

Intellectually, I'll run circles around you, you dont know me, dont be insulting by calling me or anyone else on the board a name such as dumb.

His point is your logic is stupid.

Sitting on your hands with Gailey who is a known failure as opposed to trying your hand with someone else is irrational thinking. The same type of thinking that has got this team to where it is now and has been the past decade and change.

Exactly.

I aint watching a game next year if Gaileys back. ****, move the team. I'd rather Buffalo not have a team than be the laughing stock of the league year after year.

No, apparently his point is that I am dumb. There is no logic to be applied. For logic to be applied, there needs to be a set of rules that are always true, and that's not the NFL. Things are different from year to year and things change. So don't label anything here as logic, that would be a fallacy.

Edited by HamSandwhich

Ok. I'm trying to stay from this thread but I just can't hold it anymore.

FWIW, I agree that continuity is the better way to go. I agree that Chan could probably do much better with a better QB leading the team. I agree that with the defense either continuing to improve with what we've got, or with a new DC and a few more pieces he'd be better. And I agree that no real coach would want to come to this sinking ship of a franchise.

However, here's a few things that should be clear why we want Gailey to be fired immediately.

-regardless how bad the QB position is, Chan has refused to run the ball more. The inability to utilize Freddy and CJ more as our offenses best weapons.

-the horrible time management, player management, gametime decisions, and inability to get this team into the winning mentality.

-regardless if the defense is not his thing, he hand picked his DC. He still refuses, no matter how bad, to speak of the unit. Your the HC, you must have accountability.

-even if we did manage to get the best young rookie QB in the draft, does anyone really think he starts over Fitz? Chan has married himself to Fitz and it should be his demise. Also, even if the QB was picked up, do you really trust Chan as the one to coach him? I sure don't.

-no matter who the next HC is, he's gotta be better than Chan and his 15-33 record.

At the end of the day, we could have all the weapons in place and Chan would still make the wrong personnel decisions on game day. Would still make all the wrong play calls in game day. Would still be a losing coach.

That's all I have to say. I have no faith in Gailey. If he's here, ill still be buying season tickets because I love this team. Because I love the NFL experience. But I have no hope for this team until Chan is gone as our HC or he proves me wrong and were playing in January.

Well said.

I also agree that continuity is extermely important and I think that the only way to have a shot at the playoffs next year is to keep either Fitz or Chan, but not get rid of both. That will set everything back another 3 years. I think Nix should stay until the draft while Whaley looks for a head coach and an OC. Then Whaley takes over while Nix retires. Pick the next QB in the draft and sign Levitre and Byrd and Leodis. I think everyone believed we had most of the pieces in place at the beginning of this year and I would like to see what we could do with this group and someone different calling the plays and running the games. At least that's what I would do.