Worst Owner in the NFL?

Bronc24

Miami's ownership parade

Johnson in Charlotte

Minnesota...whoever is up there now.

San Diego

Phili

But yeah. let's point fingers any way we can...

Jerry Richardson owns the team in Charlotte! And he's stated publicly that his first loyalty is to the 20 main investors

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Colts have a horrible past?

Super Bowl V Champions

2 NFL Championships

Johnny Unitas

That's a horrible past?

Indianapolis Colts? You can't say they were any good since the Mayflower truck took off from here. 1972 was when Bob Irsay bought the Colts, and they sucked for years and years when they were the Baltimore Colts. Hardly anyone in Baltimore claims them as their team anymore, trust me.

Ahhh, the Yorks. When Eddie D was forced to sell the Niners to his sister and her husband. It seemed for awhile there the Yorks were related to Ralph Wilson. Unbelievable cheepness poured on the niners. The franchise collapsed for awhile. The Niners became a joke. The polar opposite of the Eddie D years. Then around 2008 they handed the keys to one of their kids. The current 49ers are directly a product of that move. Too bad Ralph has no one to hand the keys to. It could have made a difference.

Bob Irsay gave his son control of the Colts through inheritance, and they took off... it happens. The Yorks would include family as well, which I had to debunk.

I don't get all this disdain for the old man. He has dumped a lot of dough on this team, and I bet he wants to win more than any of us. He just hired the wrong guys. For all is southern charm, Nix has made some bad decisions.

I agree with you, but the fact that he isn't sharing anything with the fans about the team's future is lame and a classless move. The fans and even the non-fans who are taxpayers have a lot invested in this team. I can handle the team not being very good, I still enjoy watching games, but he's far too secretive and silent about the plans for such a huge community asset that I will never respect the guy or care when he croaks.

RW and Mike Brown are having a running competition to see who can be cheaper and less informed about football. RW is winning.

Any other owner would not be running his franchise in WNY.

and this is precisely how RW has held the taxpayers hostage for corporate welfare since the late 1960's.

Read this article from 1969 and tell me it doesn't sound like it could have been written 10 minutes ago.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1082018/1/index.htm

RW and Mike Brown are having a running competition to see who can be cheaper and less informed about football. RW is winning.

and this is precisely how RW has held the taxpayers hostage for corporate welfare since the late 1960's.

Read this article from 1969 and tell me it doesn't sound like it could have been written 10 minutes ago.

http://sportsillustr...018/1/index.htm

Those damn chemical plants killed my father, the politicians are killing the area, and now someone has to rescue the team and its fans before it is too late... that was an outstanding article! You should have made it its own thread...

I love this note:

In spite of this rebuff the Knox brothers remain convinced that major league hockey will come to Buffalo. "Buffalo is simply too strong a market for the NHL to ignore," says Seymour Knox. "When the next chance comes up, we will make another application, and this time the situation will be different."

The "situation" he refers to is Mr. Norris' departure from the scene and the relative loss of influence in the NHL councils of the Maple Leaf ownership. "The last time Toronto had one vote in six; next time they'll only have one vote in 12," says Norty Knox.

That vote could be forthcoming as soon as January 21—date of the next NHL governors' meeting—thanks to recent "highly delicate" negotiations by the Knoxes to acquire the Oakland Seals. Seymour Knox said last week his group had contracted to transfer the Seals to Buffalo after this season—subject, of course, to the NHL's approval.

Edited by BmoreBills

Cant someone from the media attempt to call Wilson to get his reaction to that horrible game. Does he refuse everyone's phone calls.

Ralph prefers passenger pigeon, of course he's also senile so he forgets this and shoots every bird that flies in because in his mind they're carrying messages for the Jerrys over No-Mans Land.

Ralph is not the worst owner in the league -- in fact, far from it. Given his age and health, I highly doubt that he has had very much to do with the day-to-day football decisions in the last few years.

Did he make some mistakes in years past? Yes. Some of his firings over the years have come at poor times: Saban, Wade and Polian to name just a few.

Let's dis-spell a couple of common myths about Ralph now:

1. Ralph is cheap. Where I do believe that he has been cheap is in his willingness to pay top dollar for coaches. I think that is more of a matter of his not placing enough stock in the importance of the head coach. Still, he was reportedly willing to pay Mike Shanahan $10 M a couple of years ago. And was apparently willing to pay Bill Cowher whatever he wanted. Perhaps, he has learned the error of his ways as he closes in on the century mark? Meanwhile, he has never been opposed to paying top dollar for players. Mario Williams is the obvious example. Look back to the Super Bowl years. Guys like Kelly, Thurman, Andre, Bennett, and Bruce were all amongst the highest paid at the respective positions.

2. Ralph is a meddler. I know that Butler and Donahoe both complained about him being a meddler -- but he is nowhere near the meddler that Jerry Jones is or Al Davis was. In fact, when Ralph hired Donahoe he gave him the title of President, and pretty much gave him control of the team. Donahoe may have had to get Ralph's approval on some budgetary issues, but any praise or blame for those year (2001-2005) rest on Donahoe's shoulders, not Ralph's. The common whines we have heard is that Ralph liked to call daily to check in with the respective GMs (even today, Buddy says Ralph continues to do this). Is that really such a problem? Shame on the owner of a nearly billion dollar franchise for getting a daily check on the state of affairs!

isn't "among the worst" bad enough? and i still think a good argument can be made for the worst. but re bud adams, isn't it amazing how much better a coach jeff fisher became after changing teams. i wonder about some of our "bad" coaches too (gailey excluded of course, he's a retard).

I literally laughed out loud at this.

I thought it said "retread" and had to stop as i read it. its mean but the guy needs to prove people wrong

Miami's ownership parade

Johnson in Charlotte

Minnesota...whoever is up there now.

San Diego

Phili

But yeah. let's point fingers any way we can...

Yep, the cryptkeeper broke the bank. Whoo hoo! It's cool that he would rather save x number of millions in inhertance taxes than sell the team locally. Buffalo isn't worth it, but he is. Our cryptkeeper! Miser of the century!

Ralph is not the worst owner in the league -- in fact, far from it. Given his age and health, I highly doubt that he has had very much to do with the day-to-day football decisions in the last few years.

Did he make some mistakes in years past? Yes. Some of his firings over the years have come at poor times: Saban, Wade and Polian to name just a few.

Let's dis-spell a couple of common myths about Ralph now:

1. Ralph is cheap. Where I do believe that he has been cheap is in his willingness to pay top dollar for coaches. I think that is more of a matter of his not placing enough stock in the importance of the head coach. Still, he was reportedly willing to pay Mike Shanahan $10 M a couple of years ago. And was apparently willing to pay Bill Cowher whatever he wanted. Perhaps, he has learned the error of his ways as he closes in on the century mark? Meanwhile, he has never been opposed to paying top dollar for players. Mario Williams is the obvious example. Look back to the Super Bowl years. Guys like Kelly, Thurman, Andre, Bennett, and Bruce were all amongst the highest paid at the respective positions.

2. Ralph is a meddler. I know that Butler and Donahoe both complained about him being a meddler -- but he is nowhere near the meddler that Jerry Jones is or Al Davis was. In fact, when Ralph hired Donahoe he gave him the title of President, and pretty much gave him control of the team. Donahoe may have had to get Ralph's approval on some budgetary issues, but any praise or blame for those year (2001-2005) rest on Donahoe's shoulders, not Ralph's. The common whines we have heard is that Ralph liked to call daily to check in with the respective GMs (even today, Buddy says Ralph continues to do this). Is that really such a problem? Shame on the owner of a nearly billion dollar franchise for getting a daily check on the state of affairs!

1. The Bills, despite spending on a couple FAs this off-season were 11.7 million dollars under the salary cap as of November 1. For perspective the only teams with more cap room available are as follows, of those teams 1 has a winning record.

1. Eagles - 20.1 million

2. Browns - 14.5 million

3. Titans - 14.1 million

4. Chiefs - 13.8 million

5. Seahawks - 13.5 million

6. Bills - 11.7 million

6. Buccaneers - 11.7 million

If this were a one year phenomenon it would be one thing, but this is consistent. Because it's consistent, understand that the money RW spent this off-season was banked from previous years of unspent money from TV revenue sharing. It's not that HE spent money, it's that he put all of our money in a piggy bank and spent it later. He is putting another 11.7 million into his own coffers this year as a minimum and that is before any of the unshared revenues that they earn.

2. RW is not only a meddler, he's a bridge burner. He has systematically chased every single successful coach not named Marv Levy and executive out of Buffalo. Saban got fed up and left twice, Chuck Knox got tired of RW's penny pinching meddling and left (remember it was under Knox's watch that RW refused to pay the #1 overall pick and lost him to CANADA - They also lost Kelly in 1983 over money so twice in 5 drafts the Bills lost their #1 pick because they refused to pay), Bill Polian was fired ultimately because RW jammed Linda Bogdan down his throat as a scout and Bill got fed up, Wade Phillips was meddled with insanely, John Butler and AJ Smith left also over meddling and money, Tom Donahoe was fired, Mike Mularkey refused a contract extension because he didn't want the strings that came with it.

There are entire coaching trees of people who won't work here because of the way their mentors were treated when they were here. It takes a toll over time and it limits who you can actually get.

http://sportsillustr...018/1/index.htm

this has been posted multiple times here but i don't think it can be posted too many. wilson's public cynicism in that article should make anyone ever associated with western new york furious. he admits that part of his business plan for the bills includes the fact that buffalo fans will support a loser. talk about exploitation! he was playing the fans back then and has done it most of his tenure. and he's been extremely successful financially with this plan. why would any bills fan respect him?

1. The Bills, despite spending on a couple FAs this off-season were 11.7 million dollars under the salary cap as of November 1. For perspective the only teams with more cap room available are as follows, of those teams 1 has a winning record.

1. Eagles - 20.1 million

2. Browns - 14.5 million

3. Titans - 14.1 million

4. Chiefs - 13.8 million

5. Seahawks - 13.5 million

6. Bills - 11.7 million

6. Buccaneers - 11.7 million

If this were a one year phenomenon it would be one thing, but this is consistent. Because it's consistent, understand that the money RW spent this off-season was banked from previous years of unspent money from TV revenue sharing. It's not that HE spent money, it's that he put all of our money in a piggy bank and spent it later. He is putting another 11.7 million into his own coffers this year as a minimum and that is before any of the unshared revenues that they earn.

2. RW is not only a meddler, he's a bridge burner. He has systematically chased every single successful coach not named Marv Levy and executive out of Buffalo. Saban got fed up and left twice, Chuck Knox got tired of RW's penny pinching meddling and left (remember it was under Knox's watch that RW refused to pay the #1 overall pick and lost him to CANADA - They also lost Kelly in 1983 over money so twice in 5 drafts the Bills lost their #1 pick because they refused to pay), Bill Polian was fired ultimately because RW jammed Linda Bogdan down his throat as a scout and Bill got fed up, Wade Phillips was meddled with insanely, John Butler and AJ Smith left also over meddling and money, Tom Donahoe was fired, Mike Mularkey refused a contract extension because he didn't want the strings that came with it.

There are entire coaching trees of people who won't work here because of the way their mentors were treated when they were here. It takes a toll over time and it limits who you can actually get.

excellent post.

Edited by birdog1960

I guess when you are 94, you can't have a "vision" for the future, but let's be honest: who was at all excited when Buddy Nix and Chan Gailey were hired? That's an owner's final call, propped up or not.

Why does anyone have to be excited about who they hire as a coach/GM? If the guys can get the job done, I don't care if their hiring excited me or not

I agree with you, but the fact that he isn't sharing anything with the fans about the team's future is lame and a classless move. The fans and even the non-fans who are taxpayers have a lot invested in this team. I can handle the team not being very good, I still enjoy watching games, but he's far too secretive and silent about the plans for such a huge community asset that I will never respect the guy or care when he croaks.

How has he been secretive? I don't get this, its a well known fact that he has come out and said the Team will stay under his ownership in WNY until he dies, at that point the team will be sold.

The last thing he has been is secretive with what will happen to the team, problem is its not what the fans want to hear, and its not what they want. They want him to magically come up with someone who will buy the team and keep them here, or to just generously donate almost a billion dollars to the area by giving the team away to Buffalo

Why does anyone have to be excited about who they hire as a coach/GM? If the guys can get the job done, I don't care if their hiring excited me or not

\

Exactly. I surmised that "if" would never happen and I was correct. I would, however, be excited if we hired a young, universally respected GM and coach whose top priorities were to get a defensive attitude and address the QB position.

If you choose not to be excited about that, good for you.

\

Exactly. I surmised that "if" would never happen and I was correct. I would, however, be excited if we hired a young, universally respected GM and coach whose top priorities were to get a defensive attitude and address the QB position.

If you choose not to be excited about that, good for you.

My point is that just hiring them won't get me excited, if they succeed and get the job done I might though

Guys that are "Universally respected" have gone on to fail in other spots (Usually thats why they are available, especially if they are young), it guarantees nothing

WTF is wrong with Jerry Richardson? I lived in Charlotte for 20 years and I swear I never heard a complaint about the guy since day #1 of that Franchise...He's a pretty incredible human being too... B-)

I was wondering the same thing. He understands the game more than any other owner- he actuallylayed in the league.