Why does Jim Kellys name never come up (head coach)

I really think he could turn this team around. Look at how bad we were before 1990. Id say bring back polian at g.m. Kelly at head coch, BrUce at defensive co lol

You cannot be serious with this?

Bills were good in 88 n 89 too

Edited by Max997

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Mr weo are you a joke? This is a serious question. I hate when you dudes get on here acting like everything you say is right. He is on the sideslines all the time. I believe he would do better than the last four coaches.

Yeah, I thought so. I was just checking.

Wait, that was your "master plan to turn the Bills around"?

no it was just a question not a masterplan. That would consist of hiring bill cower but that will never happen

no it was just a question not a masterplan. That would consist of hiring bill cower but that will never happen

I just always see jim on the sidelines and im still a huge fan of his. AND im really sick of chans misuse of c.j. spiller

I just always see jim on the sidelines and im still a huge fan of his. AND im really sick of chans misuse of c.j. spiller

So you think someone with no coaching experience, at any level, is fit to be an NFL head coach? Right. Kelly, like Marino, isn't smart enough to be a quality head coach (I'm not saying Gailey is). I think you underestimate the level of depth needed to coach in the NFL, especially today, from the technical aspects (time management) to the philosophical (scheme) that Kelly simply doesn't have. Kelly has been out of the game for years; it would be far worse than Gibbs, a former Super Bowl head coach, coming back and being outmatched because of how the game had evolved.

Did you stop to think as to why Kelly might fail as a head coach, instead of "he led us to four Super Bowl appearances"? Your dream team of Kelly, Polian, and Bruce Smith would probably produce an 0-16 season, and that's not a slight at Polian, but rather this absurd concept.

Er, because he's shown no interest whatsoever in coaching?

There's more to coaching than having been a star player. Most HC candidates work their way up, from position coach to OC or DC and so forth. Not to say that is necessary, but I'd rather not do the experiment/tolerate the learning curve with someone who hasn't

And many stars don't translate to coaching because the don't "get" why other players can't keep up with them or do it the way they expect. Listen to dingy discuss manning a few weeks ago

So you think someone with no coaching experience, at any level, is fit to be an NFL head coach? Right. Kelly, like Marino, isn't smart enough to be a quality head coach (I'm not saying Gailey is). I think you underestimate the level of depth needed to coach in the NFL, especially today, from the technical aspects (time management) to the philosophical (scheme) that Kelly simply doesn't have. Kelly has been out of the game for years; it would be far worse than Gibbs, a former Super Bowl head coach, coming back and being outmatched because of how the game had evolved.

Did you stop to think as to why Kelly might fail as a head coach, instead of "he led us to four Super Bowl appearances"? Your dream team of Kelly, Polian, and Bruce Smith would probably produce an 0-16 season, and that's not a slight at Polian, but rather this absurd concept.

I dont know its just a opinion i mean look at jim harbough not a great qb but took his skills to stanford and flourished

Remember that Alex van pelt guy? Yeah the last QB (before Fitz) to wear a Bills uni that was really smart? The guy that everyone claimed was going to be a great coach? The guy that was an OC for one year with us and got a raw deal and was only going to go on to better things? The guy who after last year got fired as tampas QB coach? The guys who is now a running backs coach in Green Bay? Yeah Kelly couldn't hold that guys jock strap as a coach. That's why. He might not be able to hold my jock strap as a madden coach, and that may actually give me more credibility.

To say this as nicely as possible, Just because you can play the game well, it doesn't mean you can coach it well, although I understand you feel that anyone that can breathe can coach better then Gailey

Kelly was never known as being a smart QB (I would compare him maybe to a "Bradshaw type" QB), he had good coaches and athletic ability, and a good team around him to get him to where they got to. There are some players that may not have the athletic ability to be a star in the league, but they are smart enough and understand details of the game that help them transition into coaching. I would expect someone like Peyton Manning would transition well into coaching when hes through with playing. I would even say someone like Fitz could end up being a decent coach. Its why alot of backup QBs end up better coaches then players, and why superstar QBs go into boadcasting.

Enough with diggin into the past to try and find success in the future. Kelly is a great cheerleader on the sidelines, don't think that because he is on the sidelines he is there to help coach and not just to cheer. As for Polian, I think the game has passed him by, and most of his success in Indy can be placed on making the right decision on Manning over Leaf. Without Manning, we all saw what happened to that team, if he was still the "genius" he is thought to have been, they wouldn't have let him go, and teams would be fighting over him right now

I dont know its just a opinion i mean look at jim harbough not a great qb but took his skills to stanford and flourished

So you're refuting your point that being a good QB makes for a potential good NFL head coach? I don't understand the point of your original post. Harbaugh thrived at Stanford. Kelly has never been a coach. Do you not see the difference?

There could be some thought going forward that since John Elway became president of the Denver Broncos, he hired ex Panthers HC John Fox to be the new Broncos HC, brought in QB Peyton Manning thus turning a losing franchise back into a winning franchise in 2 short years.

Elway and Co were smart enough to select LB Von Miller when everyone else was telling them they needed a DT and Marcell Dareus was the best player in that 2011 draft.

The Bills could look into hiring Jim Kelly as president to see if he has the wherewithal to make the proper decisions as Elway has done in Denver. Although, Ted Marchibroda taught Jim Kelly to call his own plays at the LoS in a simplified spread offense. I kinda doubt he has that Peyton Manning type understanding of an offense and how to game plan opponents properly, I could be wrong tho. Jim Kelly as got to be more effective as president then the bum who has been president since he fired Tom Donahoe.

The Miami Dolphins hired Dan Marino as president, and that lasted about a week until Marino realized he was in way over his head, and backed out of the job. Preferring instead, to take a much simpler job as an announcer

The chain gang is on the sideline even more, so guess they'd make an even better choice. First off how many top level hall of famer ex-players do you know of that made good coaches. Typcially they make the worst coaches.

Sounds like you're saying because a player was a star and stands on the sideline you think he'd make a great coach?? And then you get upset as in many of the responses people are making fun of you in this thread. And BTW every year there is at least one thread stating Kelly for coach and every year that person gets blasted for the same reasons. Sorry but hard to give a serious response to a question that is this laughable.

Mr weo are you a joke? This is a serious question. I hate when you dudes get on here acting like everything you say is right. He is on the sideslines all the time. I believe he would do better than the last four coaches.

he's too busy schilling out for his dentists. what is this "his dental team's implant seminar?" i never knew a man to be so interested in his dental team. seriously, why would anyone attend a dental implant seminar because of jim kelly. but what else should we expect. thurman thomas moved back to buffalo so he could be in salen's hog dog commercials...

anyway, why not hire bruce as DC, jim as head coach, and Thurman Thomas as OC. Hey, we might not win a single game, but that seems like a cool idea today! he's never coached a game of football in his life, but he, it can't be that hard, anyone could do it.

jim kelly lost four superbowls; his restaurant failed miserably, but i'm sure he'd be a terrific coach even though he has no experience. coaching doesn't require any experience. if you plan madden football you can be a coach in the nfl. the OP could probably be a better coach than most.

i'm tired of this organization, its fans, its coaches, its ownership, even its former players. i'm tired of the hero worship of these guys from twenty years ago. they were good and the didn't win anything, now they are treated as royalty -- and they really are princely, what with their dental implant seminars and their salen's hotdogs. i worship thurman and jimbo.

13 years of losing has a way of turning everything sour and sarcastic to me. but hell yeah, bring in jimbo as head coach. that's even a more brilliant idea than brining in marv levy as GM, who had ZERO front office experience. that only set us back about five years...