Whatcha gonna do with your little pop guns?

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The elements of life that I'm able to control, I like to control. This includes reasonable preparedness.

That's hardly being paranoid.

From early reports, it appears the mother was doing just what you say... It MAY have went terribly wrong when it imparted on the kid in a twisted way.

What effect did the mother have on her son? I mentioned in another thread the whole Ed Gein thing and how he was grossly affected by his mother. Yikes.

It is one thing to be stocking up on Pop Tarts, MRE's while having a Pocket Filter handy... But guns and ammo, there is a fine line there between arms for subsistence and arms to keep your fellow humans from invading your empire.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

From early reports, it appears the mother was doing just what you say... It MAY have went terribly wrong when it imparted on the kid in a twisted way.

What effect did the mother have on her son? I mentioned in another thread the whole Ed Gein thing and how he was grossly affected by his mother. Yikes.

It is one thing to be stocking up on Pop Tarts, MRE's while having a Pocket Filter handy... But guns and ammo, there is a fine line there between arms for subsistence and arms to keep your fellow humans from invading your empire.

You have a hard time with the self reliance thing don't you?

You have a hard time with the self reliance thing don't you?

No. Not at all. I am just not paranoid that my fellow humans are coming for my empire like the rest of you nut jobs are worried about. I have no problem with using a weapon of any kind for self reliance. But, dude from down the street coming for my SkiDoo and flat screen is not even on my radar.

No. Not at all. I am just not paranoid that my fellow humans are coming for my empire like the rest of you nut jobs are worried about. I have no problem with using a weapon of any kind for self reliance. But, dude from down the street coming for my SkiDoo and flat screen is not even on my radar.

You are afraid of something to do with lawful gun ownership though. Irrational fear at that.

He lives in Illinois, remember. Big brother government will protect me. When my front door gets kicked in I will just call 911! The police will be here in seconds!

When seconds count, the police are only minutes away!

He lives in Illinois, remember. Big brother government will protect me. When my front door gets kicked in I will just call 911! The police will be here in seconds!

Hell no! I am not paranoid. I did notice the cops are a little more edgy now. I live in a collar county... Cook is to the north, sticks to the south... Gun shots occasionally back behind my house, where people have more property. First time ever, I see the sheriff's car (not village police) is riding down the street... I wave... He stops and asks if I heard shots. I said: "Sure, pop, pop, pop...pop, About 20 minutes ago when I was in my kitichen... Came from back there (as I pointed southeast)." He says: "Thanks and drives off." I figured, the shots were people just having some "gun fun" on their property... Oh, well... Guess the cops are all busines now... People must be calling.

You guys are way to paranoid... I have been there 20 years and never called the cops... Heck, I don't even lock the doors @ times... I probably should... Yikes.

Funny thing, IMO... Probably one is more apt to get into trouble far out into the sticks... Without other houses around. Not that I need others... But the bad guys probably figure.. Let's take a house that has guns.. Wait for them to leave and steal them. Heck, why wouldn't they? Guns are fun! Everybody wants a gun, especially a stolen one that traced to somebody else! Right? Look, the mother in CT couldn't stop her OWN guns from ending her life! Yeah! (sarcastic)...

Hell no! I am not paranoid. I did notice the cops are a little more edgy now. I live in a collar county... Cook is to the north, sticks to the south... Gun shots occasionally back behind my house, where people have more property. First time ever, I see the sheriff's car (not village police) is riding down the street... I wave... He stops and asks if I heard shots. I said: "Sure, pop, pop, pop...pop, About 20 minutes ago when I was in my kitichen... Came from back there (as I pointed southeast)." He says: "Thanks and drives off." I figured, the shots were people just having some "gun fun" on their property... Oh, well... Guess the cops are all busines now... People must be calling.

You guys are way to paranoid... I have been there 20 years and never called the cops... Heck, I don't even lock the doors @ times... I probably should... Yikes.

Funny thing, IMO... Probably one is more apt to get into trouble far out into the sticks... Without other houses around. Not that I need others... But the bad guys probably figure.. Let's take a house that has guns.. Wait for them to leave and steal them. Heck, why wouldn't they? Guns are fun! Everybody wants a gun, especially a stolen one that traced to somebody else! Right? Look, the mother in CT couldn't stop her OWN guns from ending her life! Yeah! (sarcastic)...

I like your non-paranoia.

Gotta tell ya though. I was a little paranoid myself when I lived in North Chicago (off Green Bay Rd, right down the street from Green Bay Elementary). Crime and home invasions seemed to be on the rise back then (93 - 97).

They're coming for my family!!!

So Gene, let me get this straight. If a gunman were on the loose at your children's school and you had a gun... would you use it as a weapon to defend those innocents against the madman? Would YOU use a gun in defense of yourself or your family or so other innocents? I'm not trying to start a fight, I just want to know what you would do if you had the opportunity and the means at your disposal to stop or prevent violent harm from happening to innocent people.

So Gene, let me get this straight. If a gunman were on the loose at your children's school and you had a gun... would you use it as a weapon to defend those innocents against the madman? Would YOU use a gun in defense of yourself or your family or so other innocents? I'm not trying to start a fight, I just want to know what you would do if you had the opportunity and the means at your disposal to stop or prevent violent harm from happening to innocent people.

Of course I would. Is that even a real question? I'm not some sort of conscientious objector, but rather someone who thinks that many types of weapons should not be available to the general public. I think the general public is stupid, irresponsible, irrational, untrustworthy and sometimes needs to be protected from itself.

Do you believe that in this type of adrenaline-fueled situation I would be able to calm my nerves, react quickly enough and take out the psycho who's been planning this for weeks?

Do you believe, given the EXTREME unlikelihood of this situation presenting itself, that this is a rational thing I should be spending time thinking or worrying about?

Do you believe that paranoia will destroy ya?

Of course I would. Is that even a real question? I'm not some sort of conscientious objector, but rather someone who thinks that many types of weapons should not be available to the general public. I think the general public is stupid, irresponsible, irrational, untrustworthy and sometimes needs to be protected from itself.

Do you believe that in this type of adrenaline-fueled situation I would be able to calm my nerves, react quickly enough and take out the psycho who's been planning this for weeks?

Do you believe, given the EXTREME unlikelihood of this situation presenting itself, that this is a rational thing I should be spending time thinking or worrying about?

Do you believe that paranoia will destroy ya?

an interesting point. So why are we debating getting rid of guns since the likelyhood of this occurring is so remote?

an interesting point. So why are we debating getting rid of guns since the likelyhood of this occurring is so remote?

The likelihood of it happening anywhere increases as the number of guns increases.

The odds of any individual finding himself in the situation described are so long it's ridiculous.

The likelihood of it happening anywhere increases as the number of guns increases.

The odds of any individual finding himself in the situation described are so long it's ridiculous.

Well, if it happens to you Gene, and you're packing, remember to stay calm, take the safety off and aim for the middle of the chest.

Well, if it happens to you Gene, and you're packing, remember to stay calm, take the safety off and aim for the middle of the chest.

That's the paranoia talking. It's irrational - worrying about things that have nearly a zero percent chance of happening.

Do you worry every time you get into a car? On a plane? Walk across the street? Eat food?

The sensational fantasies running through your head make you think there's a rational reason for making these types of weapons available to the public. Recognize it for what it is.

That's the paranoia talking. It's irrational - worrying about things that have nearly a zero percent chance of happening.

Do you worry every time you get into a car? On a plane? Walk across the street? Eat food?

The sensational fantasies running through your head make you think there's a rational reason for making these types of weapons available to the public. Recognize it for what it is.

For a moment there I thought you were being disingenuous. Who's worrying? I sorta laid out what you need to do to be prepared is all. Just remember those three simple things and you'll have a good chance of saving your children. That's not too much to ask is it?

No, I don't worry, but am prepared for adverse eventualities. IE. When I get into a car, I wear a seatbelt. When I travel by plane, I pay attention to emergency landing and exit procedures. When I cross the street, I look both ways. In the event that someone is choking on their meal, I know the heimlich maneuver.

Gene, you are kind of arguing my point. You don't worry about the things bolded above, and nor should you. I argue that you should also not worry so much about getting caught up in a gun fueled massacre, therefore, any talk about increased gun legislation is a knee jerk, emotional reaction...

Gene, you are kind of arguing my point. You don't worry about the things bolded above, and nor should you. I argue that you should also not worry so much about getting caught up in a gun fueled massacre, therefore, any talk about increased gun legislation is a knee jerk, emotional reaction...

Madcap, that's kinda silly. The reason you don't worry about car or plane accidents is because they are both heavily regulated industries. Cars and planes are safer and safer -- thanks to increases in safety regulation, production standards, and technology.

There is a difference between repealing the 2nd Amendment and regulating ammunition capacities and weapon types. With your own argument, this type of regulation would lead to even a smaller risk of a "gun fueled massacre" just as it's done for auto and aircraft safety records, no?

Madcap, that's kinda silly. The reason you don't worry about car or plane accidents is because they are both heavily regulated industries. Cars and planes are safer and safer -- thanks to increases in safety regulation, production standards, and technology.

There is a difference between repealing the 2nd Amendment and regulating ammunition capacities and weapon types. With your own argument, this type of regulation would lead to even a smaller risk of a "gun fueled massacre" just as it's done for auto and aircraft safety records, no?

No it's not silly. And most gun owners, even those with "assault weapons", whatever the hell that actually means, are law abiding citizens who do not start bloody rampages.

I honestly believe that regulation will not impact the miniscule percentage of rampages in a statistically significant way. Arguing regulation doesn't make sense to me, because this will not stop "crazy", which is the root cause of this problem. Not the guns. If a person is bound and determined to eliminate innocent people, they will find a way to do it.

I guess no one is arguing that we should repeal the 2nd, which is good, because that has about as much chance of happening as me getting a date with Megan Fox. As far as your bolded statement above, yes, you could reduce the risk, but the amount of people killed in "fun feuled massacres" is so minutely small already that I do not believe it is worth infringing on peoples rights to eliminate them. There are much, MUCH bigger killers out there that would do more people more good to focus on...