Annual "Whine About Toronto Games" Thread

miserable_fan

team A plays three games ALL in inclement weather...

teams B,C & D play only one game each in inclement weather and each play two in nice weather.....

who has the advantage ?

The answer is : The home team, Team A. Duh.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bills CEO Russ Brandon said that based on last year’s "demographic studies and the current ticket-selling trend, Southern Ontario has 'inched past' Rochester to become the team’s secondary market," according to Sal Maiorana of the ROCHESTER DEMOCRAT & CHRONICLE. Brandon was "quick to point out that Rochester is 'light years' ahead of Southern Ontario in terms of suite sales and corporate sponsorship platforms, and season and individual game ticket sales in the Rochester region continue to increase," but just "not as fast, recently, as in Southern Ontario." He added that the spike in ticket sales in Southern Ontario "is directly attributable to the regionalization push the franchise made with the Bills Toronto Series."

http://www.sportsbus...ponsorship&sc=0

Show me the stats. How many season tickets were sold in southern Ontario the year before the Toronto series and how many this year? Is it a true spike in season ticket sales? Statistics will tell the true story, not rhetoric from a marketing guy. Show me the actual stats.

Green Bay had home games in Milwaukee for years to augment the fan base and the income for the team. This could be a winner only if the ticket prices are within the norm for the games in Buffalo. It is like a tomb to play there for the Bills. I would recommend that they rent out the place in the off season and practice there. Tomorrow will like a an away game for them.

Buffalo ties tighter bond with Toronto interests..

The Southern Ontario marketplace has more than 9 million residents, compared to slightly less than 1 million in Erie and Niagara counties

“We have this tendency to underestimate ourselves,” Brian Higgins said. “Canadians look at Buffalo and see nothing but value and opportunities.”

The ties that bind Buffalo and Toronto go well beyond sports. At the Buffalo Niagara International Airport, nearly 40 percent of the annual 5.3 million outbound passengers hail from Southern Ontario. At the Niagara Falls International Airport, the number of Canadians flying out is close to 80 percent.

Major shopping centers such as Walden Galleria rely on Canadian shoppers who account for more than 60 percent of mall sales on the weekends.

The Fashion Outlets of Niagara Falls USA estimates Canadians make up as much as 70 percent of its weekend customer base.

Several Canadian firms have chosen Buffalo for their U.S. base of operations.

The Buffalo Sabres attribute as much as 20 percent of season-ticket holders to Southern Ontario, mostly from St. Catharines to Niagara Falls.

the Toronto Blue Jays signed a player development pact with the Buffalo Bisons.

Bills CEO Russ Brandon said the team derives as much as 18 percent of the season ticket base from Southern Ontario.

http://www.bizjourna...th-toronto.html

Exactly they have no problem with coming over to our side of the river...so why change? Offer shuttle services and transportation to the stadium with game tickets or charge a fee to come and tailgate, but keep the BUFFALO Bills in BUFFALO! your eliminating the 12th man at the Ralph.

Thank you. I've made the Green Bay/Milwaukee point many times and no one ever addresses it. Everyone around here is acting like butt-hurt clevelanders because they have no business sense. Who cares what anyone else thinks? The Toronto game is about driving revenue in the short term and creating long term viability by growing the fan base. It might not be ideal, but it is an absolute necessity. Every time I hear someone rail about how the Toronto game sickens them, I just think...that person isn't very bright.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Thank you. I've made the Green Bay/Milwaukee point many times and no one ever addresses it. Everyone around here is acting like butt-hurt clevelanders because they have no business sense. Who cares what anyone else thinks? The Toronto game is about driving revenue in the short term and creating long term viability by growing the fan base. It might not be ideal, but it is an absolute necessity. Every time I hear someone rail about how the Toronto game sickens them, I just think...that person isn't very bright.

As May Day 10 helps explain to you in his post below, the Bills have Canadian fans who actually come to Buffalo to the games. Playing in front of thousands of empty seats in Toronto does not and will not change this. By any measure, the Bills to Toronto has been a mess--except for Ralph's bank account (the extra 78 million does/did absolutely nothing to change the competitiveness or viability of this team in WNY).

If you believe highlighting a small, disinterested group of ticketholders witnessing a meaningless game which the "home" team loses every year is a stroke of marketing and "regionalization" genius, then you aren't very bright, son.

this quote struck a nerve and the reason I hate this:

"Problem part two — it all began to seem pointless once it became clear the NFL never intended to push the sale of a team into Canada. Rogers thought they were paying for a test drive. Instead, they bought a five-year long tease"

People of Toronto would hop on if it was their own team. I dont see them becoming Bills fans. I dont see people in Buffalo jumping from the Yankees, etc to the Blue Jays due to the Bisons' affiliation.

The Bills have Southern Ontario fans. It is increasing not because the Series. It is due to the strengthened Canadian dollar, the allure of the WNY shopping, increased awareness and popularity of the NFL (aside from the series), and the gameday experience at RWS.

There are numerous ways the Bills can market to Ontario without playing a game that diminishes what the Bills stand for. They can start with winning.

Im not so sure this thing is getting extended anyways

This post sums up the entire issue in the best way I've seen yet. Excellent.

Edited by Mr. WEO

the reason why people from Ontario don't care for the bills is because they suck and have sucked for 20 years. I don't think you Americans realize Toronto already has a shifty depressing team called the leafs! now you guys should thank toronto for getting you Mario Williams, and if the deal gets extended think about the money they could use to have a competitive team. Right now the best team in buffalo are the bandits. Time for lacrosse! Go bills Go!