Wages keep going further down for working class people

tomato can

http://www.suntimes.com/news/metro/16950379-418/mayor-blasted-for-replacing-ohare-janitors.html

Waguespack noted that Emanuel never stopped talking about the middle-class while campaigning for President Barack Obama’s re-election.

Mildred Rueda, 35, fought back tears as he she talked about the pain of being out of a job that paid $15.80-an-hour with full benefits two weeks before Christmas.

Jermaine Samples, who also cleans the washrooms at O’Hare, said he applied for a job with United, even though the company is offering $11.90-an-hour with no guarantee of full-time work.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.suntimes....e-janitors.html

Waguespack noted that Emanuel never stopped talking about the middle-class while campaigning for President Barack Obama’s re-election.

Mildred Rueda, 35, fought back tears as he she talked about the pain of being out of a job that paid $15.80-an-hour with full benefits two weeks before Christmas.

Jermaine Samples, who also cleans the washrooms at O’Hare, said he applied for a job with United, even though the company is offering $11.90-an-hour with no guarantee of full-time work.

They better start paying their fair share of taxes too, the takers. And we better cut SS and Medicare, because they are getting too good of a deal. Damn unions.

It's a shame that this stuff happens. The union fought to get these people a livable wage. At $15.80 an hour these workers were able to afford their mortgage or rent payment, a car payment, put food on the table and feed themselves and their family. Cut the pay down to $11.90 per hour, no benefits, and no guarantee of full time work and all this does is possibly force some of these workers onto subsidized housing and food stamps until they can recover and find a new job that pays enough for them not to be on welfare!

Life sucks at the bottom. Who ever said it didnt?

Work hard, get a better job. A second job. Go to school.

Ive taken a pretty good income hit in my job due to "unfair" circumstances out of my control.

Im hardly "at the bottom." But the loss of income is hurting me and my family nonetheless.

I have lined up a second job that starts after the holidays are over.

I have asked my supervisors at my primary job to move me to a department with more need for help and to one where I can learn new skills.

Im sure these folks can do something similar.

Edited by RkFast

there was a class war long before this. were just gonna see more of the working class fighting back.

But what are they "fighting back" against here?

It appears there are some shady backroom deals with the mob....union incompetence...you know the usual "Chicago Way" stuff.

Sorry, little birdy...no "evil rich white man" to blame here.

Work hard, get a better job. A second job. Go to school.

The guy's a janitor and he expects to always make $15+/hour because of it? My mom still works in the laundry department at a hotel - and she'd LOVE to make $11/hour!

I agree with your statement 100% -- continue to improve yourself. Barring that, get another job. I have my full time job and two part time jobs (writing and teaching). Not because I need the money, but because it's great for the resume and will (hopefully) help me get a job later in life when I don't want to be in IT anymore. I don't sit back and expect good things to happen - I bust my butt to make them happen. That's different than people (like my mom and I'm sure the janitor in the story...) who bust their butt working -- but don't ever look to improve their lot in life. :(