I think I know why CJ doesn't get on the field more...

jonramz

Not sure if it's related but I did hear Coach Gailey say after the game that when CJ is in teams are stacking 9 in the box to stop him. He and Fred both did get stuffed quite a bit in the Lambs game. They both had a couple of nice runs and a bunch of 1 yard or less runs.

If this is the case though, shouldn't a cracker jack OC such as Coach Gailey is purported to be be able to do something to counteract this? Send everyone left on a fake run to Spiller and have Fitz bootleg out the other way along with a TE 5 yards down-field and hit him with a pass in the open for a good RAC. Or put Fred and CJ both back there. Seems the possibility would be endless. Unfortunately Coach Gailey sees this and deduces, oh well, we can't run. Better pass.

Excellent point, and if you watched Brady on Monday, he performs this to perfection, the misdirection,

get the defense flowing away from the intended play direction, and then bam. Hell they had Hernandez

lined up in the backfiled next to Brady on one play, fooled the hell out of the D.

I like a lot of Chan's plays, he just doesn't know when to call them, and I can no longer live

with his game day mismanagement and coaching scared tendancies.

Edited by Tu-Toned

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think he's that bad in pass protection at all. Is Fred better? Sure. But CJ isn't much worse than the average NFL RB.

Not much worse, but worse than most IMO. He really needs to work on this and I agree that this is part of the reason Freddy was in so much. Freddy is a pretty good pass blocker.

Oh man, I disagree strongly... Fred in my opinion one of the best RB's in the NFL in pass pro. CJ on the other hand, makes mistakes and when he does pick up the correct guy he is often time overpowered and gets pushed back really easily.

I'll see if I can do some examples later today or tomorrow w/ video from the game Sunday

Exactly... we all know it's not fatigue, but Chan isn't going to throw his best offensive weapon under the bus either

I agree fred is a much better blocker so why not have both in the back field, some times move spiller up to the line for pass play, use

fred more as a FB , seems like it would increase play action plays and have two options on the slip screen Anybody see any negatives to that. Now that fred is hurt obviously it can't happen

the OP makes zero sense in that this excuse does not justify why CJ stays out of the game for lengthy, extended periods of time. Look at what happened after he ripped off 2 13 yd runs during the last game.

Oh wait - it was Fred's "turn" to come in and pass block....

The pass pro deficiencies are the only logical reason I can come up with about why he isn't on the field more. Everyone knows that fatigue is a bunch of BS and this seems to be the only thing that makes sense to me

But the puzzle of it is that CJ said that he took himself out of the game after the screen pass. So if he wasn't fatigued and as you say everyone knows it, why did he remove himself from the game? Furthermore, it's clear from the comments that Fred was NOT so obliging and did NOT remove himself from the game after CJ took himself out.

It would also be reasonable to lie about. Though anyone watching film likely picks it up "we don't trust him blocking" is a far more dangerous statement than "he was winded"

Only major downside is coaching in this message board/social media world gets what used to be a throw away comment like that hyper-analyzed

Chan actually said, "he gets winded and he comes out." Which doesn't necessarily mean that Chan thought he was winded or out of shape. Indeed, in the context of CJ's comment mentioned above, it seems clear Chan is just saying CJ took himself out of the game. The question is: Why?

But the puzzle of it is that CJ said that he took himself out of the game after the screen pass. So if he wasn't fatigued and as you say everyone knows it, why did he remove himself from the game? Furthermore, it's clear from the comments that Fred was NOT so obliging and did NOT remove himself from the game after CJ took himself out.

Chan actually said, "he gets winded and he comes out." Which doesn't necessarily mean that Chan thought he was winded or out of shape. Indeed, in the context of CJ's comment mentioned above, it seems clear Chan is just saying CJ took himself out of the game. The question is: Why?

I think the "gets winded" thing is an excuse Chan uses. I do not believe it is true

I think the "gets winded" thing is an excuse Chan uses. I do not believe it is true

But that isn't an answer to the question I asked. I'll ask it again: Why is CJ taking himself out of games? There is no question that he does it; he said himself that he does it. [Edit: If he's truly not winded, what does that imply?]

Furthermore, even though he does it, that doesn't absolve Gailey's role in this tango. Why doesn't Gailey just tell his star to get the hell back on the field?

Then put a TE on the line and stop going 4 wide. There are things a good coach can do to adjust to a RB that can't pass block. Its not rocket science.

Or, you culd choose to run the ball more given that yuour have one of the best RBs (until recently two of the best RBs) in the league and your QB can't throw over 15 yards unless it's to the other team.

If you're using your best offensive weapon as a blocker, that's problem #1.

Whether or not it is smart or not to keep him on the bench.

CJ Spiller is really bad in pass protection. Like seriously bad. Teams are starting to blitz more when CJ is in there in obvious passing situations, so not only does this prevent him from running a pattern b/c he has to stay in and block, but it also gets a blitzer matched up on a sub-par blocker. Teams do this a lot against the Saints as well... but they have Brees who can make plays better than Fitz can. It was a bigger problem than usual on Sunday b/c of all backups on the OL going against a good Rams DL.

If you get a chance watch what happens when CJ has to stay in and block... it's not pretty.

CJ definitely needs the ball more... but this is my reasoning on why he is out of the game so much.

-Jon

I get you but i pose this question then why don't we use more 2 back sets ? C Macntire is on the bench most of the time & used mostly on ST if they had some one in the FB position that could block then send CJ out as another pass catcher wouldn't that fix the blocking thing ??

Just asking ...

But that isn't an answer to the question I asked. I'll ask it again: Why is CJ taking himself out of games? There is no question that he does it; he said himself that he does it. [Edit: If he's truly not winded, what does that imply?]

Furthermore, even though he does it, that doesn't absolve Gailey's role in this tango. Why doesn't Gailey just tell his star to get the hell back on the field?

If Spiller asks out for ONE play, I think that's normal from time to time. The thing is, Gailey won't put him back in! It's maddening to watch.

This past week he said he told the coaches he was ready to go back in after 1-2 plays...

If Spiller asks out for ONE play, I think that's normal from time to time. The thing is, Gailey won't put him back in! It's maddening to watch.

This past week he said he told the coaches he was ready to go back in after 1-2 plays...

Right. Spiller takes himself out for a play and says he's ready to go back in. But, Fred stays on the field for the rest of that series and the next series as well and does not tap out. So apparently, Chan isn't managing it to the point that CJ and Fred are running on and off the field play to play. Certainly, Chan is the HC and he could command players to play and no one would think it very strange, would they?

Still, if CJ isn't winded, why does he take himself out in the first place?

PS: I totally agree that CJ needs to be on the field more. It will be interesting to see what happens next. B-)

You have legitimate questions... the only thing I can say to them is that I don't think we are getting the whole truth on the matter from 1 Bills Dr