"Tailgating" in Toronto - laxer laws?

http://www.torontosun.com/2012/12/04/buffalo-bills-street-fest-planned-before-seattle-seahawks-game-in-toronto

TORONTO - It’s not quite tailgating. But being able to legally walk along Front St. with an open beer in hand, and Buffalo Jills cheerleaders present, ain’t a bad second.

A licensed street festival on Front between Blue Jays Way and John St. will precede the Bills-in-Toronto NFL game a week from Sunday, it was announced Tuesday.

The Buffalo Bills play host to the Seattle Seahawks on Dec. 16 at 4:05 p.m. at the Rogers Centre.

The Bud Light Pre-Game Festivities go from 11 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. There is no entry fee, nor does anyone need a ticket to the game to enter the area.

Festivities include a main stage with live music, food vendors, NFL merchandise booths, football-skill participation areas, Kiss 92.5 FM personalities Mocha & DJ Clymaxxx, Bills alumni and the Bills mascot (Billy Buffalo).

“There’s food, there’s beverage, there’s stuff for kids to do. So it’s going to be a fan and family experience,” said Greg Albrecht, executive director of Bills-in-Toronto.

That’s not all. The highlights for hardcore NFL fans? Why the cheerleaders, big-screen TVs and beer, of course.

That is, an appearance by the Buffalo Jills cheerleaders, large screens showing various 1 p.m. NFL games and the new, more lax festival alcohol licence.

“We do have a festival licence, which enables people to have beer not in a (small) beer garden, but in a (wider) area,” Albrecht said. “That’s a new law that came to pass in July, so we’re capitalizing on that.

“In the past when you had any kind of licensed area, it had to be fenced in, you had to be of legal drinking age to get in, you had to buy a ticket to get a beer, and then you go to the bar to get your beverage.”

The new festival event licence, however, allows multiple service points for alcohol, as well as entry by people of all ages, Albrecht said.

“Quite honestly, we don’t really have a culture of tailgating in this province or in this city,” Albrecht said. “But we certainly have a lengthy history and pedigree for having fun in having large street parties — be it the Taste of the Danforth, or the Grey Cup that just passed.

“From my perspective, that’s really the way to go here in Toronto — getting away from trying to compare ourselves to a Buffalo experience.

“They’re very distinct experiences, but I think equally as fun.”

Doesn't sound much different than the two tailgate/festival areas I've been to there, except they are making it easier to get a beer. I don't believe this means you could have a tailgate along the street three blocks down if you wanted to.

Doesn't sound much different than the two tailgate/festival areas I've been to there, except they are making it easier to get a beer. I don't believe this means you could have a tailgate along the street three blocks down if you wanted to.

No I don't think it means that. But perhaps it'll liven things up a little bit.

At least its an effort. Canada is so ridiculous with their liquor laws and restrictions. Especially for a country of beer swilling, Rye drinking fanatics.

They don't sell beer on nights, weekends or holidays (precisely the time people buy the stuff). You can't even drink a beer on a boat in that godforsaken country.

If they want a pregame tailgate experience, they're going to have to do a lot better than this but at least they're trying.

I still say we should just call the military and roll that country. They wouldn't even put up a fight because they don't have a military and we'd make their lives better in one session of congress.

Lets get Mexico too while we're at it. We could play a game in December down there.

Feliz Navidad

At least its an effort. Canada is so ridiculous with their liquor laws and restrictions. Especially for a country of beer swilling, Rye drinking fanatics.

They don't sell beer on nights, weekends or holidays (precisely the time people buy the stuff). You can't even drink a beer on a boat in that godforsaken country.

If they want a pregame tailgate experience, they're going to have to do a lot better than this but at least they're trying.

I still say we should just call the military and roll that country. They wouldn't even put up a fight because they don't have a military and we'd make their lives better in one session of congress.

Lets get Mexico too while we're at it. We could play a game in December down there.

Feliz Navidad

They are a bunch of prudes when it comes to alcohol. You can't buy beer or liquor in a super market either. Only in the government controlled stores.

They are a bunch of prudes when it comes to alcohol. You can't buy beer or liquor in a super market either. Only in the government controlled stores.

We are not all prudes, I live here and hate the liquor laws. Government monopoly and we are still in debt.

Feliz Navidad

Based on the hours they can sell beer, let's do this!

I honeymooned in Toronto back in the 80s. I recall the state liquor stores closing at some stupid time like 4pm on a weekday. But I could buy Canadian-made wines in another store. The clerk tried to warn us we'd be better off drinking lighter fluid. Sadly, he was right.

PTR

Edited by PromoTheRobot

Who cares if it's not open at night or holidays, buy it in advance, wait you can't even handle that, if you've ever been to the lcbo before you'd know it's great, and some grocery stores up north have both together, but here laws differ from province to province. We can drink early and you know canadians have the best beer in the world, not some 4.6 dildo haha

Can't handle the good stuff? Lol.

Canadian "domestic" beer blows the American counterparts pony piss out of the water. Now if were talking micro beers in the States that could be a different story. I love US micro's. I don't know if Canada has a micro beer's at all. When I lived there they didn't exist but that was 12 years ago.