Aaron Williams Out, Defense Improves

rolly

Coincidence? I think not. He was horrible prior to his injury and I mean horrrrrible. Might be too young to cut him but no reason for him to regain starting job if he returns.

I will say that Gilmore and Mario have improved but the big play that Aaron Williams continually gave up has been minimized. Unfortunately, we're looking at yet another high draft pick spent on a CB next year as Buddy has missed again.

McKelvin needs to be resigned. Only way Williams moves to safety is if Byrd isn't resigned. I think the only way Byrd leaves is if he refuses to stay. I think they will make him the highest paid safety in the league. Williams is still young but he was awful except I thought he was ok in run support.

Do they keep stats on individual CBs....specifically to the extent they give up big plays? I don't know what the numbers would be but i've never seen a CB get more often in an entire season than Williams did in the games he played this year. It's hard not to notice how much better the DBs have played as a whole since his departure. I would hate to see him step back into any starting role ever.

Do they keep stats on individual CBs....specifically to the extent they give up big plays? I don't know what the numbers would be but i've never seen a CB get more often in an entire season than Williams did in the games he played this year. It's hard not to notice how much better the DBs have played as a whole since his departure. I would hate to see him step back into any starting role ever.

http://wp.advancednflstats.com/defenderstats.php?pos=CB

Here you go.

I know a handful of people here really understand the nuances of the game. Does anyone in the know have an opinion of how his game would translate to SS?

His college film lends itself to the possibility that his game may translate, as he seemed to look more instinctual with the game being played infront of him. Although, while his lack of speed might be less of a liability playing over the top, I haven't seen any evidence that he plays better coming forward than going backwards at the pro level, nor has he demonstrated the ability to ball hawk (on under-thrown balls while playing corner), or to step up and make a big hit or tackle well in space.

My honest answer is that I am bearish on his upside at saftey, but you can't really know for sure until he's got a season or two under his belt after the transition. Regardless, at this point the experiment is probably worth it.

When Williams was drafted Kiper said he was a steal and would be an all pro. Others on the panel disagreed. I believe it was Todd McShay who said he is a safety. I think if he was paired with Byrd the Bills would have a good tandem. I saw him play in college and he has talent but not the speed/recognition to do it as a CB in the pros.