TMQ Deservedly Criticizes Bills

Realist

Sorry if this was posted but Tuesday Morning QB absolutely torches the Bills. It is a good read and doesn't single out any one player, but criticizes the entire team including coaches:

TMQ

Here's a sample of TMQ on NFL.com

"Tis Better to Have Rushed and Lost Than Never to Have Rushed At All (Playoff-Bound Collapse Edition)

Leading 17-16 at the end of the third quarter at home with Steelers' starters leaving to take comfortable seats, the seemingly playoff-bound Bills faced third-and-1 on the Pittsburgh 11, on a day when Willis McGahee averaged 4.4 yards per rush. Run up the middle? Instead pass, offensive interference against Buffalo. A third-down gain brings the ball back to the same point, but now it's fourth-and-1. Run up the middle? If you fail the opponent's third-string gentlemen are pinned deep in their own territory with the crowd roaring at experimental-scramjet decibels. Instead field-goal attempt, missed from 28. These two mincing fraidy-cat calls on third-and-1 and fourth-and-1 are promptly punished by the football gods with 10 lightning points for Pittsburgh.

Now it's Steelers 26, Bills 17 early in the fourth quarter, with Pittsburgh practice-squad guys populating the field. Buffalo faces third-and-1 on the Steelers 48. Run up the middle? Instead attempted trick play, loss of yardage. On fourth-and-6 from midfield, Buffalo punts, even though the whole season is on the line and you're playing against third-stringers. Emboldened by this mincing fraidy-cat failure to seize the day, the Pittsburgh third-stringers staged their clock-killer drive, and the home team did not get the ball back until almost the two-minute warning. For everything else that went wrong for the Bills on Sunday, had Buffalo simply run up the middle on even one of three late-game short-yardage downs, the Bills would likely now be preparing for the playoffs. "

Oh-man, that is so right on the money. Instead of playing to win, we played to not lose. Sometimes you just have to substitute balls for brains and give your team the opportunity to impose their will and win the game.

I can't argue with what they're saying at all. Pretty much sums it up nicely doesn't it?

192516[/snapback]

I still contend the game was not lost because of the missed field as many want to believe - but rather by having to attempt the field goal at all.

"We're rolling now. Here we go,' " said Tucker, the Bills' left guard. "I even recall looking up at the scoreboard and seeing that the Jets were losing, and I was thinking, "This is our year. It's our time.'

All that confidence and momentum was lost even before the kick was attempted - when the coaches showed no confidence in being able to pound 1 yard and ultimately pound it in the end zone. It still pisses me off.

And if they attempted to go for it on 4th down and missed instead of kicking the "automatic" field goal to go up by four points, you'd ALL be burning the coaching staff at the stake for not going for the "sure thing".

And dont for ONE SECOND embarrass yourselves and deny that.

Wasn't having Bledsoe pass on third and short -- and failing-- one of the things that got Kevin Gilbride crucified on this board last year?

It boggles the mind.

"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different

result." -- Albert Einstein

Wasn't having Bledsoe pass on third and short -- and failing-- one of the things that got Kevin Gilbride crucified on this board last year?

It boggles the mind.

192607[/snapback]

So the Bills are never going to pass on 3rd and short ever again?

The coaches should make the call according to the situation and the personnel they have on the field. If McGahee is running well and you have third and short, well, duh.

I'm not going to argue with you RKfast for the sake of arguing. There's enough posters here that play that game.

Well, if you dont want to debate it, then why did you post it?

You seem to imply that becuase of what took place with Gilbride, the Bills should never pass on 3rd and short ever. Cant do that. But even in your clarification, you imply that if the running game works, you NEVER go to the pass. Again, cant do that as sooner or later, the opposing defense WILL catch on to that. They arent that blind.

You say "If McGahee is running well and you have third and short, well, duh."

You dont think teams gameplan for that type of situation? Every coach in the NFL has a BOOK full of IF/THEN probablilities for the teams they face. You run the same play in the same situation week after week, youre just asking for huge trouble.

And if they attempted to go for it on 4th down and missed instead of kicking the "automatic" field goal to go up by four points, you'd ALL be burning the coaching staff at the stake for not going for the "sure thing".

192606[/snapback]

When it was 3rd and one I told my wife "The need to just pound it up the middle - twice if they have to - and get the first down". When they got the penalty I said - "See - if they ran up the middle the worst that happens is it gets stuffed and you do it again". When it was 4th down before they kicked it I said "A field goal does nothing here - they needed to pound it in and take control of the game". I can get a signed affidavit from her if you want.

The whole game for the Bills was a mess up until that drive. They finally had the momentum and the players even admitted after they were finally getting confident. IMO the coaches totally screwed that confidence and momentum - their attitude should have been 'Enough of this BS - we have two plays to make one yard and we will - we will not be denied and we will score a TD'. If they score that TD the Bills take control and the game is over. If they don't get the first at least they know the coaches have confidence in them to pound one friggin lousy yard and try to put the game away and they still have the Steelers pinned way back still with the lead. "Fraidy-cat" is a much more euphemistic term than I would use to describe the coaching at that situation. I guarantee MM regrets it now and it probably will affect his decision making in the future.

I didn't say "ever." Those are your words.

Yawn

192639[/snapback]

Excuse me, Im not fighting with you here. Im just responding to your post with MY point of view on the issue at hand. That IS still allowed here, right?

Jeez.

192606[/snapback]

Give me an effing brake!

The same coaching staff made the exact opposite decision in the home Jets game.

4 and 1 at the 11; went for it; MaGahee TD.

When it was 3rd and one I told my wife "The need to just pound it up the middle - twice if they have to - and get the first down".  When they got the penalty I said - "See - if they ran up the middle the worst that happens is it gets stuffed and you do it again".  When it was 4th down before they kicked it I said "A field goal does nothing here - they needed to pound it in and take control of the game".  I can get a signed affidavit from her if you want.

The whole game for the Bills was a mess up until that drive.  They finally had the momentum and the players even admitted after they were finally getting confident.  IMO the coaches totally screwed that confidence and momentum - their attitude should have been 'Enough of this BS - we have two plays to make one yard and we will - we will not be denied and we will score a TD'.  If they score that TD the Bills take control and the game is over.  If they don't get the first at least they know the coaches have confidence in them to pound one friggin lousy yard and try to put the game away and they still have the Steelers pinned way back still with the lead.  "Fraidy-cat" is a much more euphemistic term than I would use to describe the coaching at that situation.  I guarantee MM regrets it now and it probably will affect his decision making in the future.

192642[/snapback]

As a matter of fact...I WOULD like an affidavit. Notarized, too..or it dont mean sh--.

Seriously, if you FIRST guessed that play, then kudos. But what youre asking for....to give up on going up MORE than a FG, in the 4th quarter, at home, against a third string offense, may do the OPPOSITE than what you are intending it to do. That is, show the DEFENSE you have no confidence in them!

See...it can go both ways here. There really is no black and way RIGHT or WRONG way to handle that situation. But one thing is for sure....Lindell should have made that !@#$ING KICK!!!!!!!

Give me an effing brake!

The same coaching staff made the exact opposite decision in the home Jets game.

4 and 1 at the 11; went for it; MaGahee TD.

192658[/snapback]

Show me a team that has a perfect record on 4th down after 16 games and Ill show you my cure for cancer.

It boggles the mind.

192607[/snapback]

Actually, it was calling a pass in every third-and-short situation. It makes sense to occasionally pass (particularly play-action) on short-yardage downs, but if you do it on every down like Gilbride did, it nullifies any advantage you might gain.

Actually, it was calling a pass in every third-and-short situation.  It makes sense to occasionally pass (particTheTheularly play-action) on short-yardage downs, but if you do it on every down like Gilbride did, it nullifies any advantage you might gain.

192684[/snapback]

Many if not most problems are rooted in management. It's usually more profitable to be glib than competent. :)