Defense Improving (From Poor to Mediocre, at least)

http://www.profootballweekly.com/2012/11/30/wins-dont-reflect-it-but-bills-defense-improving

Includes a good bit of interview with Nick Barnett talking about the defense starting to Gel.

Also has some interesting statistics that I think are relevant:

In the first seven games of the season, the Bills allowed 32.4 points per game, 176.9 rushing yards at a staggering rate of 5.95 yards per carry. In the four games since, Buffalo has allowed 23 points per game, only 95.5 rushing yards at an admirable 3.35 yards per carry.

I truly loathed Wannstedt at the beginning of the year, but this article gives me a little hope that he is not utterly clueless and next year's defense can look how we wanted it to this season. Or we could be let down again.

The defense is bound to get better being on the field for ~40 minutes of a 60 minute game. I'm sure it's over estimating but that's what it seems like.

I am refusing to get excited for next year. I have been fooled for the last 5 years at least. I want them to do good but it kills me to have high expectations to be let down so much. This year was the worst for that.

The life of a Bills fan.

I am refusing to get excited for next year. I have been fooled for the last 5 years at least. I want them to do good but it kills me to have high expectations to be let down so much. This year was the worst for that.

I felt last year to be pretty painful with the fast start and beating NE finally. Then they just sucked the rest of the year. This year hurt as well with the expectations from the off-season, for them to just come out n lay n egg against NJ!

I doubt anyone expected a mediocre to average defense, with some predicting Buffalo would be top 5 this year. It's also amazing that the "improvement" in their last 2 games came against rebuilding teams with rookie QB's.

True but the Bills D on close examination actually played quite well against New England. New England was gift wrapped 3 first and goals at the 1-yard line and compare the first New England game to the second one. Night and day.

I'm still trying to get past my anger at Wanny for having to be led by the hand towards a more aggressive and deceptive defensive style.

His obstinance in going vanilla over the first half of the season was reminiscent of Chan's offensive stubbornness. It's almost like some combination of poor results, media coverage, and fan criticism reluctantly caused these men to reconsider their "strategies."

I know the Bills surrendered 37 points to them but like I said it's a bit misleading if you examine the game closely.

Also over the last month, the Bills are the only team to hold the Cheatriots*** to less than 45 points.

It's true. the defense is quietly getting their s++t together.

Barnett has been very observant. I wish he played as well as last year though.

Not thinking about next year yet. lets see if they can keep the trend of run stopping like they have last 3 games.

I said before . they are trending up.

Now where is my offense damnit

True but the Bills D on close examination actually played quite well against New England. New England was gift wrapped 3 first and goals at the 1-yard line and compare the first New England game to the second one. Night and day.

I'm still trying to get past my anger at Wanny for having to be led by the hand towards a more aggressive and deceptive defensive style.

His obstinance in going vanilla over the first half of the season was reminiscent of Chan's offensive stubbornness. It's almost like some combination of poor results, media coverage, and fan criticism reluctantly caused these men to reconsider their "strategies."

I know the Bills surrendered 37 points to them but like I said it's a bit misleading if you examine the game closely.

Also over the last month, the Bills are the only team to hold the Cheatriots*** to less than 45 points.

A few stops, even against the Patriots, is not a metric I'd cite to demonstrate improvement. But, if some defensive stops are indicative of improvement, I'll counter with that 3rd and 17 last week and allowing the Colts to go 8 of 16 on third downs. In crucial moments they come up short, as evidenced by their showing last week. The standard was a lot higher and they've come up woefully short in all phases.

They don't force a lot of turnovers, the linebackers are atrocious, and they're 31st against the run. There are no excuses in the third year of a rebuild.

A few stops, even against the Patriots, is not a metric I'd cite to demonstrate improvement. But, if some defensive stops are indicative of improvement, I'll counter with that 3rd and 17 last week and allowing the Colts to go 8 of 16 on third downs. In crucial moments they come up short, as evidenced by their showing last week. The standard was a lot higher and they've come up woefully short in all phases.

They don't force a lot of turnovers, the linebackers are atrocious, and they're 31st against the run. There are no excuses in the third year of a rebuild.

Once again we're talking about the near term.

In the Indy game, despite being poor on 3rd down defense, the Bills only allowed 13 points to the Colts offense.

And somehow after giving away rushing yardage at a record setting pace earlier this year, the Bills have become stubborn against the run and only allowed the Colts 87 yards rushing.

There's no question the team has been a big disappointment this year. But the defense has been pretty encouraging in the last 4 games.

The big test for the run defense will be how they hold up against Beast Mode. If they have a good showing that game then I will buy in that they are improved, but right now I think it can be chalked up to how our pass defense has looked and what people are attacking.

The big test for the run defense will be how they hold up against Beast Mode. If they have a good showing that game then I will buy in that they are improved, but right now I think it can be chalked up to how our pass defense has looked and what people are attacking.

That will be a true test undoubtedly but allowing just 3.35 yards per rush over the last 4 games is still an impressive number.

Once again we're talking about the near term.

In the Indy game, despite being poor on 3rd down defense, the Bills only allowed 13 points to the Colts offense.

And somehow after giving away rushing yardage at a record setting pace earlier this year, the Bills have become stubborn against the run and only allowed the Colts 87 yards rushing.

There's no question the team has been a big disappointment this year. But the defense has been pretty encouraging in the last 4 games.

They have a better job at run stop, but given up chunks of yards when QB's put the ball down to run.

We still need that discipline.

Safeties are doing better with recognition and corners at least are near their wrs now that A. Williams is "resting "

Today should be fun if Brooks lines up outside and Leodis goes nback to Nickel.

Blackmon is a big boy