Why did Mike Mullarkey resign as HC of Buffalo

BuffaloBobby

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

He lived not too far from me in OP and directly accross from some good family friends in the neighborhood and they talked pretty fequently and they said that his wife hated the weather in Buffalo. I think they were originally from south Florida. The weather thing was a big deal for her and she was miserable. My buddy said they were also very nice people. So anyway- there is my bit of gossip for the fire.

This is probably a big part of it. Not that having your kids harassed is good - but would your first reaction be to quit your job and move to a different city? Or would you move somewhere the area, try to find a better school, etc? I mean, from the perspective of someone with enough financial resources to make that happen. Seems like you could protect your kids without moving cities if you tried hard enough. Is Buffalo really that much more hostile than other cities (especially northeastern cities)?

From what i recall, after the Steelers loss (to their 2nd stringers) that cost Buffalo a playoff berth, the fans in B-Lo went nuts. They showed up around his home, harrassed his wife and kids...just showing no class whatsover by adults. I'm sure his kids were harrassed at school too. It really sounded ugly and i think he actually feared for their safety. He probably figured at the time, being an NFL coach just wasn't worth it to his family.

Now people are much more reserved. People in WNY just expect to lose and be mediocre every year so no need to hassle the coach and his family.

I hate to admit is but bills fans are the worst fans in the NFL...

Give me a freaking break! F this guy!

He is A QUITTER-A LOSER and a monumental TURD

...If he is going to blame quitting an NFL head coaching job on his kids be wimpy little biznatches who were being bullied, that makes him an even bigger doosh. Who blames stuff on their kids? He is lying. Hey Meathead-ever think that maybe you could move your kids to a different school? I hate Mularkey, and dont hide that fact.

His loser kid went on to be arrested for using heroin or coke or something years later. I guess the bullying scarred him for life, or maybe the fact that his dad is a D Bag meathead QUITTER put him over the top!

Nice Hire Jacksonville!

Mularkey wasn't terrible. He got saddled with JP Losman who was a coach killer. Had we kept Bledsoe for another year we wouldn't have gone 5-11 in 2005, and maybe we got a real qb along the way. His defense fell apart. Sam Adams regressed dramatically, Takeo Spikes tore his achillies which affected. Fletcher and Crowell started receiving more attention. Eric Moulds had issues with Losman. Teams just basically keyed on Mcgahee. We'd probably be a better team today if Ralph didn't intervene and bring in his buddy Marv and Mularkey had more time and better resources to right the ship. Short of his kids being harassed which if that's the case I don't blame him for walking away, but professionally he had every right

I could just as easily say Mularkey was a QB killer

I seem to recall him resigning due to Marv wanting him to fire his OC. I could be wrong though.

if the stories hold true, it seemed like it just was the right time to leave. family unhappy, changing of the guard in the front office - he could go get a fresh start and start the upward cycle sooner rather than wait to totally bottom out here.

Absolutely. Look at what he has done. The offense was mediocre at best on the Steelers with the one of the best D's in the league. Of course AFTER he left there, they won the SB. He couldn't do anything with Losman (who wasn't good, but I think he was better than he looked with that awful Bills system). He only had one decent year with Bledsoe, a proven Vet. I don't think I even need to mention the disaster with the Dolphins... He smothered an obviously very capable Matt Ryan, Turner, White, ect... in Atlanta (The offense has been one of the most explosive since he's left). While I do believe Gabbert just isn't good, Mularkey certainly couldn't give him any life with coaching brilliance.

There is a trend here...

Edited by Turbosrrgood

If I'm Mike Mularkey reading this thread, I'm thinking, man, I'm sure glad I left. The level of vitriol directed at a mediocre/average coach by the fans is unbelievable. It's just a stupid game.

My understanding is that his family was harassed repeatedly.

Edited by dave mcbride

That awkward moment when someone still defends JP Losman. I'm not saying Mularkey was some amazing coach but he's the best coach we've had this decade and because of the incompetence of the Bills ownership and front office we went backwards instead of progressing

because of a lucky 6 game winning streak, they finished 9-7, woooooo haha...but you are correct, only winning season in 10 years lol....

and then the next year???? oh yea....5-11...solidddddddd

The 0-4 start was more unlucky than the 6-0 was lucky. Nate Clements not knocking down a hail marry, the refs jobbing us every which way in Oakland...

I love all the pro-mularkey comments now, 8 years after the fact

the guy inhereted a team with a solid (not great) cast of players, who should have went to the playoffs in his year, and they failed (sure sure, by a game, whatever, hard to make the playoffs when you start off 0-4) and then tanked bad in his second year....say what ya want, that just doesnt cut it for me - not saying anyone after him has really cut the mustard either....just saying, who cares? jax can have him, hes really turning around that ship with his offensive prowess, lol

Thats typical around here

While they are here, run them out of town, then cry about how you want them back cause they guy that they wanted to replace them can't do any better. The grass is always greener.....

You could say the same thing about our QB's. We had an all-time dismal offense the year before Mularkey in 2003 which failed to score a single offensive TD in 7 out of 16 games and you guys are saying "ya know that Bledsoe was alright". :doh: No, no he wasn't. He sucked. A lot.

If I'm Mike Mularkey reading this thread, I'm thinking, man, I'm sure glad I left. The level of vitriol directed at a mediocre/average coach by the fans is unbelievable. It's just a stupid game.

My understanding is that his family was harassed repeatedly.

thats what im saying. i dont think anyones spoken all that highly of his coaching ability yet theres still blow back on "mularkey supporters"

speaks volumes.

That awkward moment when someone still defends JP Losman. I'm not saying Mularkey was some amazing coach but he's the best coach we've had this decade and because of the incompetence of the Bills ownership and front office we went backwards instead of progressing

When I call him a QB killer I'm not even talking about his ability to design an offense - I'm talking about the team atmosphere that got JP a broken leg but worse was throwing JP into a end of season game where the Pats were killing us with almost zero practice (just came back from the broken leg). Am I saying the JP was going to be great NO but there are ways of bringing a QB up and ways of ruining them and Mularkey seem to do the latter.

Wait, what? Progressing? The Bills squeaked out 9 wins his first year before blowing it against the Steelers BACKUPS! Then went 5-11 the next season. I don't really call that progress.

What information are you basing your thought process on that Mularkey was going to somehow turn it around? He has basically failed everywhere.

You could say the same thing about our QB's. We had an all-time dismal offense the year before Mularkey in 2003 which failed to score a single offensive TD in 7 out of 16 games and you guys are saying "ya know that Bledsoe was alright". :doh: No, no he wasn't. He sucked. A lot.

Those stats are true, but to be fair lets include the previous year for Bledsoe, when he threw for almost 4400 yards, 24 TD's and a pro bowl appearance, and the year following his poor season with Mularkey when he threw for ~3600 yards and 23 TD's with Dallas.

Edited by Turbosrrgood

Other then Buffalo with JP Losman and Miami with Joey Harrington he hasn't really failed "everywhere"

He was pretty good in Pitt, Good in Atlanta and now that Gabbert is riding the bench where he should be has Chad Henne playing well. The verdict is still out on jacksonville

Other then Buffalo with JP Losman and Miami with Joey Harrington he hasn't really failed "everywhere"

He was pretty good in Pitt, Good in Atlanta and now that Gabbert is riding the bench where he should be has Chad Henne playing well. The verdict is still out on jacksonville

Perhaps you are right, he didn't fail everywhere, so maybe I should have said that he hasn't succeeded anywhere.

Both PIT and Atlanta's offense improved dramatically after he left, you left out the mess in Miami. The hype from PIT I never understood. The offense was medicore at best, but that team was very good due to having one of the best D's in the league...When he left the offense improved, and they won the SB.

Edited by Turbosrrgood

Those stats are true, but to be fair lets include the previous year for Bledsoe, when he threw for almost 4400 yards, 24 TD's and a pro bowl appearance, and the year following his poor season with Mularkey when he threw for ~3600 yards and 23 TD's with Dallas.

Seems more like selective endpoints than "fair" if you're also not including 2000 or 2006 when he lost his job but even so...

Dallas lost 17-10 and 35-7 games to the Giants/Redskins with the playoffs on the line late in the '05 season (with Sean Payton on the staff) and I'm sure I don't have to tell you about his "2011 Fitzpatrick-like" stark 1st/2nd half split from 2002.

Any way you want to slice it the first half of '02 & the 4-5 good games he had in Dallas were clearly the outlier at that stage of his career, not '04 under Mularkey.