Would 8-8 Be a Good Year?

Storm Front

I said at the beginning of the season that if the Bills finished at .500 it would be a good year. Despite their record, I think the team is showing progress. The defense is coming together, when healthy the OL is top-notch. We have a great RB. We are a QB, LB and WR away from being a playoff team. If we make it to 8-8, I say Chan and Wannastache should stay rather than to start all over again with a new regime.

I said at the beginning of the season that if the Bills finished at .500 it would be a good year. Despite their record, I think the team is showing progress. The defense is coming together, when healthy the OL is top-notch. We have a great RB. We are a QB, LB and WR away from being a playoff team. If we make it to 8-8, I say Chan and Wannastache should stay rather than to start all over again with a new regime.

Tell me how, in one year, we're going to get a QB that can magically turn things around? It's not happening for a while. This is a weak QB class, in terms of ability to play right away, and anyone we might pick up will sit a year or two on the bench. We're not getting a Luck/RGIII/Wilson, but a Tannehill- someone who needs a year or two to develop and may not end up being good.

Edited by ny33

No.

Nix/Gailey took over this team 3 years ago, which is plenty of time to turn around a team. In the years prior to them taking over, we were 7-9 three times in a row, followed by a 6-10 season that was accomplished partially with an interim coach.

This year's schedule - compared to most other seasons - is a cakewalk. So far, we have played 4 games against teams with a winning record and still have a record of 4-7. The only winning team we have coming up on our schedule is Seattle.

This team is not making progress, and a decent argument can be made that they are moving backwards.

No. Not with the talent on this team. A good O-line, a good D-line, perhaps one of the top 3 RB's in the game, a top 10 WR. Most coaches would find a way to make the playoffs w/ this team. Yes, our QB is not great, and we need an upgrade, but he's good enough to make the playoffs if he was given the role of "game manager" rather than Joe Montana, who Chan apparently thinks he is. The LB's are not good, ok, terrible, but with our D-line, Gilmore and Byrd the defense should be able to compensate and get to 10-6. That would have been the only "slightly-successful" season.

No.

Nix/Gailey took over this team 3 years ago, which is plenty of time to turn around a team. In the years prior to them taking over, we were 7-9 three times in a row, followed by a 6-10 season that was accomplished partially with an interim coach.

This year's schedule - compared to most other seasons - is a cakewalk. So far, we have played 4 games against teams with a winning record and still have a record of 4-7. The only winning team we have coming up on our schedule is Seattle.

This team is not making progress, and a decent argument can be made that they are moving backwards.

Well said. They are moving backwards quickly. Look at the Colts loss. That team has a ROOKIE QB, and basically blew itself up last year. Lost one of the best QB's in NFL history, the HC, the new HC, most of their offense and are still going to make the playoffs. Good coaching makes a HUGE difference. If we had BA this team would be playoff bound.

would , should or will . I think 8 wins and they will be back.

I also think with improved qb play there was 10 wins to be had this year.

on another note Wanny's d is showing improvement. This is afterall his first year running the unit. I feel like the d is closer to what we thought it would be and something to build on heading forward.

I would be remiss it i didn't end with the usual , its all about the qb

It would be a misleading 8-8, though. Who would we have beaten: Chiefs, Browns, Cards are all bad. The Dolphins win surprised me, honestly, because they seemed to be surging. That would mean four out of 5 wins in games against the Jags, Rams, Seahawks, 'phins, and Jets. Jets are spiraling out of control and the Jags are either the worst or second worst team in the league. Only the Seahawks approach being a quality team there, although the suspensions may help us.

We had an easy schedule this year. Especially the second half. We should be sitting at .500 and making our own surge to the playoffs. Instead, we aspire to mediocrity this year and look forward to blowing this thing up so we can revert to 4-12 next.

kj

No it wouldn't. It would be a disappointment. Just like the year Brady went down and we had all the possibilities with easy schedule and no Brady yet we were hit by massive injuries. We had it for the taking. Just like this year. We could easily be 6-5 right now if Chan wasn't an idiot. So yes, it's disappointing because of what we should be instead if what we are.

They are unlikely to hit 8-8. that requires going 4 of 5, and we have not seen anything like that consistency from this team.

Even though the schedule is weak, I would bet against that outcome. I think 2 or 3 wins in more likely. Yes, the d has gotten better since the bye week, don't know why they could not have started that way. One of the improvements is McKelvin replacing Williams, who is no sort of CB. One of the above comments calls Stevie a top 10 receiver. Sorry to disagree, Stevie may be in the top 30, but not the top ten. Did you see the long ball he caught against INdy. Three (thats 3 folks) DB's in the INdy secondary ran him down. Stevie is a big receiver with complex moves, and gets free a lot. But, he lacks the speed of a top 10 receiver.

I don't like Flynn's mechanics; he also hasn't shown enough to a) beat out a rookie or b) warrant a trade.

Sure looked good to me setting records in Green Bay. And I don't care what Carroll thinks anyway. Leinert and Sanchez both suck at the pro level. Bottom line though we can't sit on fitz or a y other QB on the roster. Have to try something and IMO trying to work a deal for Flynn is an avenue worth seriously exploring. The other could be Alex smith but I like Flynn more.

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

Sure looked good to me setting records in Green Bay. And I don't care what Carroll thinks anyway. Leinert and Sanchez both suck at the pro level. Bottom line though we can't sit on fitz or a y other QB on the roster. Have to try something and IMO trying to work a deal for Flynn is an avenue worth seriously exploring. The other could be Alex smith but I like Flynn more.

Flynn burned a bottom-5 pass defense with the Packers' receivers at his disposal. That's not to discredit his performance, but a guy like Alex Smith has shown far more than Flynn (having taken the 49ers to the NFC Championship). If we could get Flynn's contract restructured and trade something like a 4th or 5th for him, it would be worth considering. Otherwise, we're better off drafting a QB when it makes sense and bringing in someone like Orton or Campbell as competition with Fitz, if anyone at all.