Matt Stafford / Lions Implosion

jumbalaya

I have been surprised about Detroit's implosion this year. With great receivers and a good young arm at QB, and what should be a tough defense I was wondering what went wrong.

Imagine the Bills with a promising QB and then suddenly he turns into a turd.

The answer hit me between the eyes today.

Offensive Coordinator Scott Linehan.

Linehan ruined the Rams when he was their head coach.

He has zero communication skills with the players and other coaches. Zero.

Let's hope he doesn't worm his way here after he gets fired this year.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

or maybe Matt Stafford just isn't that good. Outside of last year he's pretty much at his career average consistently injured suffering from chuck and duck syndrome

Matt Stafford has always had a great arm there's no questioning that I just always felt he always relied on it to much, and lacked consistency in his game as well as injuries which have hampered him everytime he seems to make progress. Having an elite wr is great, but I think some qb's start to rely too much on that and force issues and it leads to mistakes and just honestly don't know how to see the whole field and get other players involved

5 of their 6 losses were by 8 pts or less ( 1 score losses).

That's what happens after a team has a breakout year. Teams pay closer attention to them.

They have gone 0-4 in divisional play. Had they gone 2-2 they would have been 6-4.

In 2011 they played the afc west where they went 4-0 and NFC south where they went 2-2 and 3-3 in division play.

It's natural to wonder if Stafford has the head for the game because it seems every time he plays, he makes stupid mental mistakes.

Did I hear a stat last week that he hadn't connected with megatron for a td all year? That CJs only td came from the backup qb prior to this week?

5 of their 6 losses were by 8 pts or less ( 1 score losses).

That's what happens after a team has a breakout year. Teams pay closer attention to them.

They have gone 0-4 in divisional play. Had they gone 2-2 they would have been 6-4.

In 2011 they played the afc west where they went 4-0 and NFC south where they went 2-2 and 3-3 in division play.

They ended last year poorly too. I'd guess it has to do with discipline and leadership more than anything. Coaches and players there showed they were making terrible choices on and off the field. You don't win like that.

Stafford has simply failed to meet expectations. #1 overall pick and after 4 years 1 playoff appearance.. He's closer to the "bust" label than he is to sniffing the playoffs again.

Stafford:

2,988yds 12 TD, 10INT

Fitzpatrick:

2,179yds, 17TD, 10INT

I wonder what numbers Stafford would put up here in Buffalo without Calvin Johnson.

I thought also , that in a better environment he might become much better.

It could be too late though. he could well be broken goods.

Detroit came apart as a whole team. Very poorly managed. and coached.

looked good on paper though...

Edited by 3rdand12

I thought also , that in a better environment he might become much better.

It could be too late though. he could well be broken goods.

Detroit came apart as a whole team. Very poorly managed. and coached.

looked good on paper though...

I wouldn't write him off. With all the arrests, suspensions, penalties that teams taken. I agree its a whole team issue. Heck, they had front office people arrested and Schwartz has his own temper issues. It's hard for a team to win with all the noise and decision making issues. That doesn't even regard the injury problems.

It's hard to point to one thing with Detroit.

Certainly as was mentioned, they weren't gonna sneak up on anyone this year.

I think the parade of crime blotter material this offseason was certainly a red flag.

While San Francisco has managed to stay the course of success, Detroit has stumbled.

It might have to do with coaching.

More fairly substantial drama from the Lions facility.

WR Titus Young sent home for the week.

http://profootballta...r-bad-behavior/

“It’s your job to make the team happy, it’s not the team’s job to make you happy,” Schwartz said.

Young had two penalties in Sunday’s loss to the Packers, a false start and an offensive pass interference. Additionally, a false start by Lions offensive lineman Gosder Cherilus apparently happened because quarterbackMatthew Stafford yelled something to Young about being lined up in the wrong place, and when Cherilus heard Stafford yell, Cherilus thought Stafford was signaling for the snap. Young caught only one of the six passes thrown to him on Sunday. This is the second time this year the Lions have sent Young home for bad behavior. During offseason workouts, Young was sent packing because he sucker punched teammate Louis Delmas."

Edited by San Jose Bills Fan

More fairly substantial drama from the Lions facility.

WR Titus Young sent home for the week.

http://profootballta...r-bad-behavior/

“It’s your job to make the team happy, it’s not the team’s job to make you happy,” Schwartz said.

Young had two penalties in Sunday’s loss to the Packers, a false start and an offensive pass interference. Additionally, a false start by Lions offensive lineman Gosder Cherilus apparently happened because quarterbackMatthew Stafford yelled something to Young about being lined up in the wrong place, and when Cherilus heard Stafford yell, Cherilus thought Stafford was signaling for the snap. Young caught only one of the six passes thrown to him on Sunday. This is the second time this year the Lions have sent Young home for bad behavior. During offseason workouts, Young was sent packing because he sucker punched teammate Louis Delmas."

He had some ugly penalties last year too. Didn't he pick one up in the parade of 15 Yarders against the saints in the regular season? Among others.

Teams built like this love to underachieve.

Stafford almost reminds me of Carson Palmer in that awful cincy locker room when everyone was getting arrested.

Yeah. The culture around that team seems very tainted.

I wonder if Schwartz will be able to fix it.

I suspect its kind of a singletary with the 49ers spot - new coach needed, but a ton of talent already in house so the right guy could be a 1 year turnaround. Who their harbaugh could be, I don't know.

Edited by NoSaint

I suspect its kind of a singletary with the 49ers spot - new coach needed, but a ton of talent already in house so the right guy could be a 1 year turnaround. Who their harbaugh could be, I don't know.

I agree with this.

I think the Lions are a talented roster.

Former Bills DB Martin Mayhew has done a good job acquiring players as far as I can tell.

I'm not sure he hired the right coach though.

That part's still not clear to me.