Running Back Controversy? Not in My Eyes

Let me preface this by saying that the Bills have two dynamic, undisputed number one running backs on their roster. Jackson is a workhorse, who's style and grit are very respectable, while C.J.'s game-breaking ability to score from anywhere on the field is invaluable. I love the fact that we have both on our team.

That said, it is time that C.J. becomes the featured back in this offense. He has the potential to be THE BEST in the NFL hands down, no questions asked. Just give him the damn ball. The guy is extremely explosive and can create havoc when given the ball. Over 7 yards per carry!? Are you kidding me! Chan needs to put his allegiance to FJ aside and recognize that Spiller is the guy that can carry this team to wins every Sunday.

Fred Jackson is awesome. I love him. He's also past the wrong side of 30 and is signed through 2014. He isn't going anywhere. He got his money and I believe it is time for him to take a back seat to the undeniable talent that is C.J. Spiller. The split should be 3:1. Freddy needs to ride the pine and spell C.J. when needed.

Our top offseason priority should be to resign C.J. to a new deal. He is the future of this team. His talents are rivaled by very few in the league today. Adrian Peterson?Arian Foster? I'm taking Spiller. I truly believe that, if given the carries, C.J. could very well be a future HOFer. He is a game changer. A stud RB destined to be a superstar in the NFL.

Good post OP but w've been over this. I dont think anyone would disagree with u and a 70/30 split is the minimum spiller should get. Fred ran great today but fumbled twice again. He should be benched for the next game on that fact alone.

yes, he should be benched or better yet taken behind the filed house and shot, then cut. That's what this team should do to one of maybe 5-7 competent NFL players on this 2012 trainwreck joke of a team. Fred is one of a select few Bills that coaches actually game plan on.

But yea this team should make an example of Fred Jackson.

Unreal. Just unreal here sometimes. Clueless.....................

yes, he should be benched or better yet taken behind the filed house and shot, then cut. That's what this team should do to one of maybe 5-7 competent NFL players on this 2012 trainwreck joke of a team. Fred is one of a select few Bills that coaches actually game plan on.

Take it easy BPA. Your love of Freddy is out of control. Nobody is saying he's not good. It is a fact that he's getting old. It is a fact that he's been nicked up quite a but in the last few seasons. It is a fact that his numbers are down. And it is a fact that CJ has as high as an average yards per carry as anyone in the history of the game over a season. It is a fact that he's not just doing it this year as he had over a 5+ yard a carry average last year as well. EVERYBODY!!! Here, in the media, and even the locker room is saying he needs to get more opportunities. The only people that are against it are Chan apparently and the few Freddy ball washers that still want the feel good story of an undrafted guy to carry the team. If we were good 1-2 years ago, Freddy would have been perfect, he just isn't now. And honestly, neither are we. CJ gives us more opportunities and is more versatile. It's fact.

Well that escalated quickly lol. No one is saying Fred Jackson should be cut, just that he shouldn't be starting. That's plain as day to anyone with eyes Spiller is the better player

Well that escalated quickly lol. No one is saying Fred Jackson should be cut, just that he shouldn't be starting. That's plain as day to anyone with eyes Spiller is the better player

some people just don't get it. Some people would rather see us lose on a weekly basis.

Good post OP but w've been over this. I dont think anyone would disagree with u and a 70/30 split is the minimum spiller should get. Fred ran great today but fumbled twice again. He should be benched for the next game on that fact alone.

If he actually did suffer a concussion on the second fumble, will you cut him a little slack?

there is no reason that any team should not use their two nest athletes. I would even ask for a double wishbone.

Saying one starts over the other is not relevant.

I don't really care who starts, so long as CJ gets at least twice the touches as FJ. To me, a 75/25 to 70/30 split is what's best for the team. I don't care about FJ's bruised ego.

there is no reason that any team should not use their two nest athletes. I would even ask for a double wishbone.

I agree that Fred and CJ should be starting and on the field together for most offensive series. I still remember the Kiick-Csonka, Harris-Bleier, and yes Simpson-Braxton (besides being an excellent blocking FB, the late-great Bubba Braxton was a fine runner who could make plays. Both CJ and Fred can run pass routes, certainly both can run, and who knows - perhaps they can throw a ball downfield 30 yards plus more accurate than Fitzpatrick. Smart coaches put their best players on the field and mold their game plan around them. Gailey isn't doing that enough. He's starting to remind me more of John Rauch and how he misused OJ.

I agree. Even when one of them is lined up in the backfield, the other one should be in the slot. They are both better slot receivers than any other receiver we have on the team.

Clueless to suggest some consequences for negative plays? OK. I think you're just blindly loyal to your favorite player and get off making excuses for him.

Spiller is the RB opposing teams have to game plan for, not Jackson. FJ's yards per carry is down to 4.0. Lowest of his career and a wholly pedestrian number. He has already lost more fumbles (3) through 9 games than in any previous season. These are facts, you can look them up yourself if you could manage it.

Both RBs seem to have trouble holding on to the ball, so really I don't care too much. CJ gets more yards per carry and is more fun to watch. FJ gets the tougher short yardage. Both are great to have, other than the fact neither can hold on to the ball.

CJ has looked amazing but to put some perspective on this the guy never lines up in short yardage situations (which hurt a RBs ypc) and he rarely lines up in anything but a shotgun in a spread formation and usually on delays. The Bills can't run an entire offense like this. Gaily puts him in positions that suit his skills - which is good - but it's a reason to split carries. If Spiller was the every down back he wouldn't be nearly as effective and his numbers would drop drastically (this is obvious, who is going to avg. 7.3 ypc? Nobody.) That's not a knock on Spiller, as I said he's be fantastic, but I still don't see him as a workhorse back.

As for Jackson's "poor numbers" the guy played with a knee injury and his numbers reflected that for a few games. In the past 3 or so games he's looked like the Jackson of old. This is really a moot point though, either guy is good enough to get the Bills points on the board. I'd like to see a little more of Spiller but I don't think he needs to be given the bulk of the carries - something like 50/50 is ideal Imo.

I'd like to see Gaily run the f'in ball more too...

The problem with the 50/50 split MDH, is then neither RB can really get into a grove. Regardless of all the talk about HOW CJ gets his yards and how people say if he had the ball more his average would go down. Lets prove it. The fact is, he's averaging more than any RB in the history of the game over a full season with the exception of Jim Brown and he might not only be the best RB ever in history, but the best Football player in history. Lets just give it to CJ and see what he can do with it.

Unfortunately, Chan should be fired for this reason. Just like how Wade/Ralph screwed up the Johnson/Flutie controversy. Chan is screwing up the CJ/FJ controversy. At the end of the day, CJ should be used and workhorsed in the same way Dick Vermiel used and forced Priest Holmes down everyone's throats for 3 years. He had arguably the best 3 years of football by anyone ever. I'm sure some will say he was overused and that's why he died out. But many don't realize he was in his late 20s when he was doing that. That he had a career with the Ravens before that. That he had serious knee injuries before that. All things that added up to his demise. But still, we can't live like that. Hoping if we don't overuse him he will last longer. Live in the now, and give your best player the chance at becoming the best in the league. So far he's proving us wrong, not the other way around.

The problem with the 50/50 split MDH, is then neither RB can really get into a grove.

This is a popular thing to say but I don't notice it effecting the RBs. Both guys are being incredibly productive when given the chance.

I think they used both rb's really well yesterday. Instead of just using Fred or just CJ for a drive they were sub'ing in and out a lot. Get a fresh pair of legs in there! No use having CJ catch a screen pass for 30 yards and then try and run with him on the very next play when he is winded. Get Fred back in there. We have the best 1-2 punch in the whole league. It's really the only thing we have going for us so we have to keep thinking of ways to keep both guys involved and I think they can use yesterday's game as a model going forward. Less Fitz and more Fred and CJ imo