Reading between the lines: George Wilson

Rubes

From today's Buff News:

“We’re gonna keep playing him,” Wannstedt said. “George has done a great job. George is one of our captains. No one thinks more of George Wilson than I do. But Da’Norris Searcy is a young guy who’s got a lot of talent, and he can help us win games. He’s gonna play. Last week we played him 20, 25 plays, and that’s kind of how we see the thing unfolding.”

Sounds to me like a transition is basically occurring. If Searcy does reasonably well, I'm not sure we see George as a starter much longer. At least that's how I read that.

I would agree. I love George Wilson, but IMO he has looked a little bit slow this season (that said, he'd kick my tail in a foot race...). I like Searcy and think that he and Byrd will be a good tandem back there for us in the not too distant future. I don't see George leaving Buffalo, but he might become Bryan Scott's replacement in a season or so.

That's not a good thing.

Father time is pretty damn old and if he's catching up with Wilson that's a bad sign.

Question is, can Rich Eisen catch him yet:

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-combine/09000d5d82745c18/Eisen-versus-the-rest-of-the-field

(For anybody who's never seen the Rich Eisen NFL draft combine 40 yard dash videos, it's worth a look)

Wilson has always seemed to have a knack for being around the ball and for making huge plays. This year he's been invisible. he's never been a strong tackler nor has he been terrific in coverage consistently. When he's on the field we're essentially fielding 2 Free Safeties because Wilson does not come down into the box to make plays in the run came, nor does he cover TEs overly well which are the SSs primary jobs. If he did either of those things well Bryan Scott would be redundant.