Gout - experience?

PaattMaann

anyone ever get Gout? im not sure if thats what the case is or not, but my left big toe, right at the joint, has gotten extremely painful and sensitive to the touch, even hard to walk on, about three times in the past 8 months (including currently)

it doesnt look swollen, but it is painful to the touch and hard to walk on, and is ONLY in the base of the big toe/on top of the toe....

I dont believe I have any of the usual or common causes (obesity, diet high in shellfish, high intake of fructose from soda, high blood pressure) so im not sure if it is gout or something else (perhaps an injury like turf toe? but I dont recall any trauma associated with it - I do run, but haven had an "injury" that I can recall...maybe just stress on the toe or fatigue?)

any help would be great - and please no "ask a doctor/go to the doctor" responses, If I wanted to do that, id be there and not on TBD lookin for friendly advice

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I ate a healthy serving of corned beef and cabbage for St. Patrick's day a year and a half ago and got gout. Stay away from pork and beef for awhile. Also could be pseudo gout (fake gout). Caused by salt and not protein. Everyone I know that's had gout (including myself) has had to take medication for it. Mine got so painful that I had to sleep with my foot propped up praying that NOTHING touched it. Seriously something as light as a bed sheet caused me to scream in pain. My left big toe swelled up to the size of a baseball.

yes, twice.

Your diet is the easiest thing to remedy this issue. Pork, Beef, and alcohol are the big players. Avoid soft drinks with HF corn syrup like grim death. Drink lots of water. Coffee and tea also seem to help keep Uric acid down...

I wonder, if its not gout, what else it could be...some people ive talked with that have gout say the symptoms sound like gout...but only once out of the three occassions has it been "cant walk on/dont touch it" painful...these other times its just been very sore and hard to walk on but tolerable...

I wonder, if its not gout, what else it could be...some people ive talked with that have gout say the symptoms sound like gout...but only once out of the three occassions has it been "cant walk on/dont touch it" painful...these other times its just been very sore and hard to walk on but tolerable...

The two times I've had it, I could barely walk. Does it hurt more in the early morning, and get a bit more tolerable around noon? If so, it's probably gout. They'll probably give you colchicine which will knock it out, but keep you on the toilet for a few days...

The two times I've had it, I could barely walk. Does it hurt more in the early morning, and get a bit more tolerable around noon? If so, it's probably gout. They'll probably give you colchicine which will knock it out, but keep you on the toilet for a few days...

yea it hurts worse in the AM...does feel better throughout the day...

the last time this happened I couldnt walk or really even touch it....this time (starting this morning) it isnt nearly as bad, I can walk on it but i notice it hurts and it is sensitive to the touch for sure...

I've had gout flare ups for the last few years. For me, it's a direct result of red meat an heavy alcohol intake. I've tried a few different remedies. Including a high anti-oxident diet with some success. Meds work the best for me. Colchicine. I pop about 3 of them and it dissipates within the hour. Most people take allopurinol but that closed my throat and put me in the emergency room.

You almost certainly got the gout. It's pretty easily managed as you will found out real quick what raises you Uric acid levels. Good luck.

UPDATE: (not that anyone truly cares haha)

went out and have more than my share of brews last night, no red meat (chicken sandy instead) and I woke up this morning and felt good enough to go to the gym and workout....so perhaps it was just a passing bout with gout this time? interesting stuff....

thanks all for your opinions

went out and have more than my share of brews last night, no red meat (chicken sandy instead) and I woke up this morning and felt good enough to go to the gym and workout....so perhaps it was just a passing bout with gout this time? interesting stuff...

Not to rain on your parade, but I've always found a slight delay between what causes my gout and me receiving the flare up. So you could be free and clear or maybe you're just waiting...

Not to rain on your parade, but I've always found a slight delay between what causes my gout and me receiving the flare up. So you could be free and clear or maybe you're just waiting...

oh jesus...way to put the fear of of god into me...now im going to fear going to bed for the next couple of nights because at any wake up I will be crumpled on the floor in agonizing pain.....just when I thought I was out....they pull me back in....