L.A. Stadium A Go Unanimous Approval !!

T master

Bear with me here - I think that the sooner they build the LA Stadium, the better. We all know Ralph isn't going to do anything with the Bills until he croaks. If the stadium is built and a team (or two) moves to LA within say the next five years (and Ralph holds on), we're golden. IMO, the Raiders, Chargers and Rams all have more tenuous situations with their stadiums and owners (and fan bases for that matter) than the Bills. Ralph just needs to hang in there (fingers crossed). The one hangup I could see would be if one team moves to LA and the NFL keeps the option open to put another team there. Anyone agree?

Well at least you managed to make me laugh. As you well know, the Braves were not well supported and had a limited run in Buffalo.

I guess I disagree on this. Buffalo was a hockey town after the Bills, popularity carried over from the AHL team. So they crazy sold out all the time. Basketball too was popular with the runs of Bona, Niagara, and later Buff State with Randy Smith. But to compare the Sabres and expect the Braves to sell the same was unrealistic. The Braves had potential to win a title, in hindsight, with the talent they were getting. but after ownership changes, that talent was sold off for CASH, and the team collapsed. That's why the fans walked in the end. Some similarity there when you think of the Bills being terrible and multi-millions under the cap, although the Bills spent this year

Think back to the early-mid 70's. Buffalo arguably had the most exciting player in 3 major sports with OJ, Gil Perrault, and Bob McAdoo

I guess I disagree on this. Buffalo was a hockey town after the Bills, popularity carried over from the AHL team. So they crazy sold out all the time. Basketball too was popular with the runs of Bona, Niagara, and later Buff State with Randy Smith. But to compare the Sabres and expect the Braves to sell the same was unrealistic. The Braves had potential to win a title, in hindsight, with the talent they were getting. but after ownership changes, that talent was sold off for CASH, and the team collapsed. That's why the fans walked in the end. Some similarity there when you think of the Bills being terrible and multi-millions under the cap, although the Bills spent this year

Think back to the early-mid 70's. Buffalo arguably had the most exciting player in 3 major sports with OJ, Gil Perrault, and Bob McAdoo

Don't disagree with your assessment of the potential of Buffalo as a basketball town. Fact is that even when the team was winning, there wasn't enough support. I was not the least bit surprised when the Braves left. Comparing the Bills and Braves though is apples and oranges. The Braves just weren't here long enough to generate the depth of support that the Bills have in 50+ years.

We will eventually be just like our D with a 32nd ranking in the league , all the fans so pissed they could care if the Bills stay or go (until their gone) & wondering why they went as they pack the trucks in the middle of the night to greener & more prosperous pastures !!

Congrats on being an unpaid agent of them trying to get fans pissed. Or are you being paid now?

Actually the Bills have historically had trouble selling out December games, even in the Super Bowl years. I posted elsewhere how fans couldn't sell out the '94 AFC Championship game because "they were sick of losing Super Bowls." We always have an excuse. And if that's how fans feel, then go cry a river when the team leaves. We call ourselves the greatest fans but the attendance numbers say otherwise.

Now here's something I don't recall...

So the Bills weren't the first.

PTR

Actually the Bills have historically had trouble selling out December games, even in the Super Bowl years. I posted elsewhere how fans couldn't sell out the '94 AFC Championship game because "they were sick of losing Super Bowls." We always have an excuse. And if that's how fans feel, then go cry a river when the team leaves. We call ourselves the greatest fans but the attendance numbers say otherwise.

Now here's something I don't recall...

So the Bills weren't the first.

PTR

The Bills did not make the playoffs in 1994. They were 7-9. I'll take Bills fans any day. Can't blame them if losing gets under their skin. And name me one city that would be enthusiastic if their team lost four straight Super Bowls, often in embarrassing fashion. I think it is perfectly reasonable for fans to be a bit skeptical after such and embarrassing run.

The Bills did not make the playoffs in 1994. They were 7-9. I'll take Bills fans any day. Can't blame them if losing gets under their skin. And name me one city that would be enthusiastic if their team lost four straight Super Bowls, often in embarrassing fashion. I think it is perfectly reasonable for fans to be a bit skeptical after such and embarrassing run.

It was the '93 season but the AFCC was played on 1/23/94. 33-13 final. And you are also making my point for me. More excuses. "I'm bored of going to the Super Bowl and losing, wahhhh"

PTR

Edited by PromoTheRobot

The Buffalo Braves WERE well supported. They were systematically de-constructed to send the team spiraling into obscurity by the owner of the Braves, Boston Celtics andthe league-particularly current commissioner David Stern-All the best players were sold off and traded intentionally to diminish fan interest. Once the team tanked-attendance tanked and there was a clause that stated that if season tickets fell below a certain level-an escape clause could be triggered, and that is exactly what happened-It was ALL planned out (Think Major League)..Not because they were not well supported-They were, and they were quite good with excellent talent.

Have the Bill s been TRYING to do the same thing for years-isolate the fan base so interest wanes and a move can be easily made?

Maybe -but not as blatantly as the Braves did.

Edited by BuffaloWest

It was the '93 season but the AFCC was played on 1/23/94. 33-13 final. And you are also making my point for me. More excuses. "I'm bored of going to the Super Bowl and losing, wahhhh"

PTR

This topic always comes up and everyone seems to glorify and say how we all love to go to games in the wind and snow. Stop it!! Most people don't, they hate it and that's why games do not sell out in December. And yes, that goes back to when we were GREAT!!

The weather is horrible and face it, the games are just not as fun and some of the weather over the last few years has been atrocius.

It does give credibility, or at least a good argument to develop/build a new stadium or dome the Ralph. Sorry folks, you are in the vast minority if you want December games outside.

The games are great when it's 40 and sunny and little wind, but that is VERY rare in Dec and Jan.

The Buffalo Bills are not moving to L.A.. Just stop it. Yesterday there was a thread about them moving to London. This team is not going anywhere and unless and until you have some actual evidence that someone is planning to move the Bills please stop with this nonsense. I don't mean speculation, I mean actual evidence. I will repeat what I said yesterday. Until someone has some actual proof that a move is imminent, this team is the BUFFALO Bills. Not the London Bills, not the L.A. Bills, the BUFFALO Bills. Still the same team in the same location as it has been since 1960. Nothing to see here, so move along.

Another desperate Bills fan with his head in the sand. In a straight bidding war between guys intending to make a return on their $800m+ investment, no way a WNY-based bidder beats out an L.A. bidder with brand new stadium underway paid by the taxpayers. Not a chance. You will just wake up one day up to your ears in proof. Unfortunately, the day is coming.

Toronto, LA, London,

People talk about them moving to one of those locations. Talk. Thats all it is

I honestly believe the Bills will never leave Buffalo

CBF

Doesn't that sand get in your eyes?

Didn't this approval happen in September?

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nfl/story/_/id/8436735/los-angeles-city-council-approves-plan-downtown-nfl-stadium

What DID happen today is that they settled a lawsuit that was potentially holding up the development (everyone needs to get their cut): http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-stadium-settlement-20121102,0,2320349.story

But as has been said, they still need to get a team to build the stadium. Plus the Anschutz Entertainment Group is now up for sale, so the new owner would have to support the project: espn.go.com/blog/los-angeles/nfl/post/_/id/857/potential-aeg-sale-raises-questions

And some more on the intricacies of the deal (this one from April): http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nfl/story/_/id/7772949/construction-proposed-football-stadium-los-angeles-begin-march-2013

Anyway you look at it, it's NOT a done deal...

Sounds like we can know what's next as early as Feb!

Another desperate Bills fan with his head in the sand. In a straight bidding war between guys intending to make a return on their $800m+ investment, no way a WNY-based bidder beats out an L.A. bidder with brand new stadium underway paid by the taxpayers. Not a chance. You will just wake up one day up to your ears in proof. Unfortunately, the day is coming.

Doesn't that sand get in your eyes?

This bidding war you speak of, hasn't happened yet. It is complete speculation at this point that the team is going to the highest bidder.

You make no sense. You sound like you want the Bills to relocate. You're one of those negative "fans" that love to have that "I told you so" moment. Spare us.

Well it is all approved out in L.A. the only thing that is missing is an NFL team to fill the stadium after it is built ..

With the unanimous approval by the L.A. city counsel that means while we do as our D coordinator for the Bills does & hold our coarse meaning sticking with the $200 million dollar upgrades to the Ralph instead of seriously looking into the investors that are wiling to foot 70% of the bill for a new stadium some where in Buffalo .

We will eventually be just like our D with a 32nd ranking in the league , all the fans so pissed they could care if the Bills stay or go (until their gone) & wondering why they went as they pack the trucks in the middle of the night to greener & more prosperous pastures !!

But hey after all why should we good forward every one here is happy with just staying in the rut we have been in , well at least Ralph & company must be .

So let's all just get ready for the inevitable b/c the ball is starting to roll & once it starts if there is no resistance to push back to keep our team home it will just continue to gain momentum & by the time Brandon & company has a clue it will be to late !!

So if you know any one in high places tell them to get off there good intentions & get a groove looking toward the future before all of our bi**hing will be because we no longer have a team to Bi**h about !!

"Somewhere in Buffalo" doesn't work. The economics of a 250,000 population city and still in decline with next to no tourist interest has virtually no chance of out competing an LA bidder. It's a regionalized/linchpin of NFL's international plans based in Niagara Falls, or nothing for this area.

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack