USA Today Mid Season Grade on Bills

Hsp08

They feel Bills will make the playoffs. The author certainly has not done his homework:

Buffalo Bills ©

This team has the worst identity crisis in the NFL. Every time they look ready to compete, they sputter. And then, out of nowhere, they pop back up again unexpectedly.

How they can get better: Ride C.J. Spiller and Fred Jackson. Coach Chan Gailey said he wants to get them a combined 35 to 40 touches per game. Good idea.

Prediction: Watch out for these guys. They could easily jump up and grab that final wild-card spot. In fact, we think they will.

Bills are in slide 17:

http://sports.photos...idseason-grades

They feel Bills will make the playoffs. The author certainly has not done his homework:

Buffalo Bills ©

This team has the worst identity crisis in the NFL. Every time they look ready to compete, they sputter. And then, out of nowhere, they pop back up again unexpectedly.

How they can get better: Ride C.J. Spiller and Fred Jackson. Coach Chan Gailey said he wants to get them a combined 35 to 40 touches per game. Good idea.

Prediction: Watch out for these guys. They could easily jump up and grab that final wild-card spot. In fact, we think they will.

Bills are in slide 17:

ROFL! The Most funniest thing I think I Ever read. They could easily jump up and grab that final wild-card spot. In fact, we think they will.

WTF have these guys been watching for the past 7 weeks??? It's a bad football team. It's not getting any better! Seriously!

Edited by mattsox

Love the optimism...I wish I could share it with a straight face.

As I see it, the Bills need to beat either Houston or New England in the next two weeks, and then win 6 of the last 7 games in the "easy" part of their schedule...not impossible, but I haven't seen enough from this team to make me think they will do that.

One thing they mention that makes me scratch my head...Chan "says" he wants Jackson/Spiller to touch the ball 35-40 time combined...if you follow this team, that will only happen if the Bills run 95-100 offensive plays a game. Last game (vs Titans) despite the fact that Jackson/Spiller were both running the ball great, they only got around 20 carries between them...meanwhile Fitzbengal threw 35 passes...despite what Chan claims, he is a pass first coach...even when it comes to the detriment of the team. Including pass targets, Jackson/Spiller may touch the ball 35-40 times, but there is no sense that Gailey will try to grind it out, kill the timeclock, with a power running game...and it seems to me, for the first time in forever, the Bills have the pieces to do that.

Edited by Buftex

As I see it, the Bills need to beat either Houston or New England in the next two weeks, and then win 6 of the last 7 games in the "easy" part of their schedule...not impossible, but I haven't seen enough from this team to make me think they will do that.

One thing they mention that makes me scratch my head...Chan "says" he wants Jackson/Spiller to touch the ball 35-40 time combined...if you follow this team, that will only happen if the Bills run 95-100 offensive plays a game. Last game (vs Titans) despite the fact that Jackson/Spiller were both running the ball great, they only got around 20 carries between them...meanwhile Fitzbengal threw 35 passes...despite what Chan claims, he is a pass first coach...even when it comes to the detriment of the team. Including pass targets, Jackson/Spiller may touch the ball 35-40 times, but there is no sense that Gailey will try to grind it out, kill the timeclock, with a power running game...and it seems to me, for the first time in forever, the Bills have the pieces to do that.

After the preseason the way I decided to personally view the performance of this team was by the margin of the teams losses and how competitive the Bills were in those losses. Looking at the schedule there were/are some games that I feel the Bills should win. With that said...

That is all out the window now. This team needs to win the games I didn't think they would win. This team needs a miraculous turnaround, NOW. I don't think they will win every game. The next two games I think they will lose. However, this team has to beat both the Texans and the Patriots. If they lose these next two games I'm thinking it's going to be a 4-12, 5-11 season at best.

Also, as an off topic side note: I don't think I can handle another rebuild. I'm getting tired of this $#&!

Edited by Kevin

I can see how somebody might say this with a straight face. Many playoff and even some SB winning teams have under performed even through to the bye. And this team has talent. It's a few players away from being very talented as a group on both sides of the ball.

Will they get it together? I hope so of course but I am not holding my breathe. With Fitz at the controls the limitations are just too much to overcome for them to go on a run. He would have to eliminate game changing mistakes and play with some consistency. I would like to think that he could do that but I very much doubt it.

Reality is that if we can snatch victory from the jaws of defeat from either the Texans or Patsies* our schedule for the rest of the season favors a strong finish. I agree with Buftex that if we beat one of those two teams 10-6 is not out of the question. Enough to get us into the playoffs, i'm not sure, but would make for an interesting december for a change!! GO BILLS!

Their is plenty of talent on the team and tons of pariety in the AFC. Its not out of the realm of possibility guys.

This. The Tennessee & NYJets losses both sting me - games where they were the better team, yet played like diddly-poo. At least NE & SF were clearly the better teams.

Kevin is right - they now need to win a game or two that we didn't think they'd win, that being Houston or NE. I don't see them winning either of those two and 3-6 is a tough hole to climb out of. With the AFC being as jumbled as it is, they can still make things interesting. That said, assuming they lose the next two games, they'll need to go 6-1 or win out to have a fighting chance.

I can see how somebody might say this with a straight face. Many playoff and even some SB winning teams have under performed even through to the bye. And this team has talent. It's a few players away from being very talented as a group on both sides of the ball.

Will they get it together? I hope so of course but I am not holding my breathe. With Fitz at the controls the limitations are just too much to overcome for them to go on a run. He would have to eliminate game changing mistakes and play with some consistency. I would like to think that he could do that but I very much doubt it.

Yeah, I am in the camp that thinks there is more talent on this team than it might seem...I am just losing faith in the coaching staff...I like Chan for the most part, but he doesn't really seem to inspire the troops to play up to their potential...and then, beyond the inspirational "win one for the gipper" stuff, I am liking, less and less, his game planning...there just doesn't seem to be that sense that the coach is putting his team in the best situation to win...rather putting the game in the best situation to run his game plan...disappointing, cuz I really thought Chan had an edge on game day coaching...

Yeah, I am in the camp that thinks there is more talent on this team than it might seem...I am just losing faith in the coaching staff...I like Chan for the most part, but he doesn't really seem to inspire the troops to play up to their potential...and then, beyond the inspirational "win one for the gipper" stuff, I am liking, less and less, his game planning...there just doesn't seem to be that sense that the coach is putting his team in the best situation to win...rather putting the game in the best situation to run his game plan...disappointing, cuz I really thought Chan had an edge on game day coaching...

The coaching is a big question mark for me too. I look around sometimes tho and I wonder if its just us. What is Andy Reid thinking with a pass happy gameplay with a lousy O-line and a stud like McCoy in the backfield? Why is JG passing three times in a row on 2nd and 1 on the Giants 20 with the game on the line? Is Felix Jones really that unreliable?

Everyone blew me up when I said all of our wins came from easy teams. They said even when the Bills win, fans say it was luck or undeserved or not vs a good team. Well the Cards have shown down the stretch that they were a weak team. We have zero quality wins, none. And somehow fans assume that because we've had two weeks off that magically we'll be a different team than the one that let NE have 52 points AT THE RALPH. It's the same wanny calling plays. It's the same Mario Williams with two less ounces of scar tissue, it's the same FitzMagic shaking his head on the sidelines with is oversized helmet. The "easy" games on the schedule are some how gimmes? We just lost to the Titans. That was supposed to be a gimme game. The Colts just beat that team with a rookie QB. You know the saying, if you cant spot the sucker at the table, you're the sucker? We're the gimme game for everyone else, we just don't know it.

Count me in this camp as well. The coaching staff inspires zero confidence and the play of the team reflects that. A couple of more losses and the heat on Chan will increase and he will need to make more changes.

I agree becaise even though it is simply insane to judge that the Bills can make the playoffs it is actually not insane to judge that the opposition the Bills face for a wild card slot are so bad they might implode even worse than our sad sack but still beloved Bills team.

If you live outside of Buffalo, you realize this type of negative sentiment towards the hometown team isn't isolated.

The Chargers are a complete and utter let-down and failure-San Diego has had it with Norv, Rivers and AJ Smith.

It is over in SD after a solid 8 -9 year run...Their window of opportunity has closed an dthey have nothing to show for it...

Cinci has gone backwards this year. The Jets were in the AFC Title game two years in a row and have really gone down hill.

Look at KC-1 and 6!...They have talent and won their division 2 years ago and seemed to be pointing up -just a lousy Qb and Coach just like us. That has to be disheartening

We have talent too-The team just hasnt improved in 3 years...It is always -One step forward-Two steps back.

Our coaching and QB just are not good enough to go anywhere...

We have two star running backs who can both catch the ball and have the capability of scoring any time the ball is in their hands. We do have good players on defence who make plays. We do have guys that can catch the ball on offence and a scheme that's pretty hard to stop when Fitz is on target and managing the game.

I think people outside of here do see that there's potential for something here.

I don't think we'll make the playoffs because that likely means having to win two of the next three, but I wouldn't rule it out.

If we lean on F-Jax and Spiller like we should, those guys can win us games.

Buffalo Bills ©

Bills are in slide 17:

He either needs a piss test or needs to be place in a room with padded walls.

We have two star running backs who can both catch the ball and have the capability of scoring any time the ball is in their hands. We do have good players on defence who make plays. We do have guys that can catch the ball on offence and a scheme that's pretty hard to stop when Fitz is on target and managing the game.

I think people outside of here do see that there's potential for something here.

I don't think we'll make the playoffs because that likely means having to win two of the next three, but I wouldn't rule it out.

If we lean on F-Jax and Spiller like we should, those guys can win us games.

When has that happened?