OK, I never do this, but... 2013 NFL draft

All the QB's in this draft scare me but Gino. I'd take Te'o in the first round since we need a LB just as much as a QB. I know we NEED a QB more, but Te'o is a sure thing compared to any of these QB's. Plus, Chan will just bench the QB, start Fitz, and say the rookie "needs the year to learn this complex (BS) offense."

It seems as if the Bills are going to have 2 options: trade up to draft a Geno Smith or a Matt Barkley or draft a 2nd tier type of QB (see: Locker, Ponder, Dalton, Losman, et al), which is more of a 50/50 proposition. I guess I'm calling on the draft experts here, but I guess there are two ways of thinking: 1) you need to get a surefire prospect like an Andrew Luck or an RGIII at any cost or 2) you draft a hulking LB in the first round and then trade up to get a Tyler Bray at the end of the 1st/early 2nd.

I've always been a type 1, but I could be persuaded. I think I'd be happy with a hulking LB from the SEC with a fraternity symbol branded on his arm and Tyler Bray.

Couple notes here: I realize Luck is a once-a-generation prospect and neither Geno Smith or Barkley fit that bill. You don't have to tell me.

And also, the Bills are going to end up winning 6 games, and drafting around 10 as per usual, so let's base it off of that assumption.

Geno Smith would be a good one but the #1 Qb in the H race is Colin Klien &then there are others like Tyler Wilson that we may be able to get at our pick so we have options besides trading up , but if a good one is there go get him !!!

I'm with you, Hammersticks.

Astro I'm thinking in your next mock, if Geno Smith and Barkley (I hate Barkley) are gone. you have to make a grab for Tyler Wilson,

No more of this Terrance Williams junk. Its got to be a QB in 2013.

A kid I really like is Bryn Reener of UNC 6'3 215 in his first year starter completed 68 percent of his passes for 3,086 yards with 26 touchdowns & 13 interceptions this season he has completed 63 percent of his passes for 2386 yards with 18 touchdowns & 6 interceptions UNC is 6--3 but in their 3 loses they lost but a combined 9 points

Renner is a Gunslinger & plays tough he projected as a 1st round in 2014 he's a junior so he may not come out in 2013 but if he does he could be a 2nd round steal

ALWAYS go for the best rated players at the top of the draft. If we end up picking 10th I'm not sure we'd have the juice to trade up for a Geno Smith, who I would take over Barkley every time. We need to finish with the 6th pick or higher to have a chance and even that might not be enough depending on who finishes ahead of us.

Absent that, take a lower round project later on but be sure to get the LBs we need for the defense in the meantime.

GO BILLS!!!

it'll be interesting to see how it all works out..way too early to tell yet. teams like Saints, Panthers, Lions, Redskins, Colts, Browns, etc. may very well end up with a worse record than us, but they may not take a QB with their first pick...

it'll be interesting to see how it all works out..way too early to tell yet. teams like Saints, Panthers, Lions, Redskins, Colts, Browns, etc. may very well end up with a worse record than us, but they may not take a QB with their first pick...

Absolutely. All those teams ahead of us that are set at QB will be leveraging that pick like no tomorrow. Bills may be in a bidding war but if we finish closer to those teams they won't have to trade as far back and our pick will have more value than teams finishing lower that are in need of a QB.

Give me Geno!

GO BILLS!!!

At this point it looks like this draft has 2 top tier QBs - Barkley and Smith. After that it seems there is a significant drop off with a half dozen or so tier 2 guys with potential (Jones, Murray, Wilson, Bray, etc.) With that as the backdrop:

Suppose we're on the clock, Barkley and Smith are off the board, but Manti Te'o is available. Do we reach for a tier 2 guy or take Te'o and draft a QB in the second?

At this point it looks like this draft has 2 top tier QBs - Barkley and Smith. After that it seems there is a significant drop off with a half dozen or so tier 2 guys with potential (Jones, Murray, Wilson, Bray, etc.) With that as the backdrop:

Suppose we're on the clock, Barkley and Smith are off the board, but Manti Te'o is available. Do we reach for a tier 2 guy or take Te'o and draft a QB in the second?

The franchise has never takena QB with their first pick of the first round. There has always been some excuse.

With the new Rookie Salary Pool, drafting a QB in the first is no longer a life sentence.

That's why you see the second tier QBs going very early i.e. Ponder, Tannenhill, Weeden.. .

In 2013 the Bills must step up and take a chance on the most important Position in professional sports.

I love Te'O (personally I think he won't go past #3 overall) but in the scenario you lay out you take Tyler Wilson and try to make the Bills franchise competetive again. The Giants Defense blows by all statistics except for sacks, and they have two super bowl rings in the last 5 years.

So I'd say defense doesn't win championships anymore.

Get your QB.

Edited by Why So Serious?

The franchise has never takena QB with their first pick of the first round. There has always been some excuse.

With the new Rookie Salary Pool, drafting a QB in the first is no longer a life sentence.

That's why you see the second tier QBs going very early i.e. Ponder, Tannenhill, Weeden.. .

In 2013 the Bills must step and take a chance on the most important Position in professional sports.

I love Te'O (personally I think he won't go past #3 overall) but in the scenario you lay out you take Tyler Wilson and try to make the Bills franchise competetive again. The Giants Defense blows by all statistics except for sacks, and the two super bowl rings in the last 5 years.

So I'd say defense doesn't win championships anymore.

Get your QB.

I agree with your overall philosophy here. I'd even be up for a trade up to get Barkley (I know Geno has more upside, but Barkley seems the more conservative pick - higher % of success). My thought is that only 4-5 teams will be looking for a QB that early. Is Tyler Wilson significantly better than whoever out of Murray, Jones, Bray, etc. would still be available in the 2nd?

I agree with your overall philosophy here. I'd even be up for a trade up to get Barkley (I know Geno has more upside, but Barkley seems the more conservative pick - higher % of success). My thought is that only 4-5 teams will be looking for a QB that early. Is Tyler Wilson significantly better than whoever out of Murray, Jones, Bray, etc. would still be available in the 2nd?

Dalton, Ponder, Weeden were all supposed to be available in the 2nd.

Its time to "reach" for a QB you want and need.