Why is it that Fitz gets all blame?

UticaBill

Are people really suggesting that our defense has outperformed Fitz this season?

Anybody with half a brain understands Fitz is not a very good QB. Average at best. Even on a good day.

Anybody that would suggest the defense has been better at their job than Fitz has been at his, is missing the other half of the brain.

GO BILLS!!!

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yet in the two most important offensive series, he choked. That's like saying, "Hey, for 8 2/3, the Nats pitching was good enough to get to the NLCS!"

Exactly. The Packers were 15-1 last year, how did that turn out. You have to perform when all the marbles are on the table, and Fitz never does.

I like how you couldn't refute what Freakpop replied. Take off your blinders dude.

FreakPop's supposition

"Fitz had a good stat line theorfore he does not get the blame for the loss"

has been refuted many times in this thread.

FreakPop's supposition

"Fitz had a good stat line theorfore he does not get the blame for the loss"

has been refuted many times in this thread.

Yep. Bill Buckner had over 100 RBI for the Red Sox in 1986, think the Red Sox fans didn't blame him at all because of those impressive stats?

Yep. Bill Buckner had over 100 RBI for the Red Sox in 1986, think the Red Sox fans didn't blame him at all because of those impressive stats?

So, we're also putting equal blame of Rodgers for giving up the TD pass, right? And Mario and Kyle for not sacking Hass on that last play, right? And Gilmore for not getting that fumble faster, right? And Mr. Wilson for not getting the pick, right? Just checking ... The game was on the line for all those guys too. If any one of them or others had come through ...

So, we're also putting equal blame of Rodgers for giving up the TD pass, right? And Mario and Kyle for not sacking Hass on that last play, right? And Gilmore for not getting that fumble faster, right? And Mr. Wilson for not getting the pick, right? Just checking ... The game was on the line for all those guys too. If any one of them or others had come through ...

You need to put your pint sized man crush aside and face reality?

Clearly the 32nd ranked defense is to blame for the Bills losses... I am NOT suggesting Fitz and the offense doesn't have its share of problems.... but the offense is NOT the main problem and changing QB's is not going to make ANY difference. The problem is 80-85% defensive with this team! I just can't see how anyone can throw this season's mediocrity on Fitz and the Offense.

I can even accept that there has been tons of change on defense and our players are not perfect fits for a Wanny Defense.... We did change from the 3-4 to 4-3 and for the two previous years we were drafting defensive player that fit the "new" system.... we did change defensive coordinators... we do have a young and inexperienced secodary... we do lack quality starting linebackers for the 4-3 (Barnett is great but not ideal in the 4-3) and we all knew this going into the season.... somehow this year everyone expected it all to just "work smoothly" and we'd be a playoff team.... the cold hard truth is here... the players have not adapted quickly and inexperience has shown itself regularly.... Our LB's are slow to the action and one a RB or TE make a catch underneath they are not stopped until the secondary (15-20 yds down field)

Meanwhile, despite some bad passes and bad luck (injuries) we have seen our offense consistently put up enough to pts win in 6 out of 7 weeks....

Keep blaming Fitz and the Offense... we'll never make the playoffs if the DEFENSE continues to let the offense down!

the sad truth of the matter is that very few teams increase thier win totals from one year to the next by more than 2-3 games... we were 6-10 last season and being better than a 8-8 or 9-7 team is unrealistic to hope for (as many did)

Except for the Niners game, the Bills would have two more wins IF the defense only stops the opponent on 4th down situations once in each game.... it could easily be argued they would have won 3 more if special teams was just a little more special....

'cause he sucks and you may be delusional

You and I seem to have somewhat similar perspectives.

The offense the Bills used last weekend didn't ask the QB to make long throws, or difficult throws. Gailey designed the offense to fit within Fitz's (very narrow) limitations. For most of the game, Fitz looked reasonably competent, playing within those limitations. His numbers were good, in large part because he was going against a poor defense.

I agree that if the Bills had a top-10 defense, they would probably have won most of their games thus far. The offense has a ridiculously good running game, and a somewhat good passing game. That passing game is the result of very good pass protection, Stevie Johnson's ability to get open even against the best CBs in the league, the emergence of players like Chandler and Graham, and a mediocre QB who does some things well and other things poorly.

The offense is pretty good, and is one to two players away from being very special. If you were to add a Kurt Warner and an AJ Green to the offense, you'd have something similar to the Greatest Show on Turf. Our offensive line would be comparable to theirs, our running back situation would be as good as theirs--if not better--our receiving corps (after adding Green) would be at least as good as theirs.

I agree 100%. I thought minus the last drive, Chan called a great game. I'm all for a legit 1st round talent to be our QB. I just agree it's silly to put the Titans and Pats losses on Fitz. He carried his weight.

I also agree about Stevie Johnson. He is a top 10 receiver with a better QB. He is always open. It's funny that people questioned his character last year because if he was any other receiver, he would have lost it a long time ago with all the bad passes that come his way.

And a top 10 QB is a defences best friend

Just ask the Pats, or do you consider them to have a top 10 defence?

Yes, I agree that Fitz is not as good as Brady, a top 5 QB ever. But for as good as Brady has been, they had to win 2 straight to get to 5-3. The Giants had Eli Manning have his best year ever and had to rally to get to 9-7. No matter how good your QB is, you need a decent defense.

As sad as it is, this is our best offense since the Bledsoe years. I guess they could be scoring 30+ a game but the fact is that no team is going to consisently win with a defense like ours.

... I also agree about Stevie Johnson. He is a top 10 receiver with a better QB. He is always open. It's funny that people questioned his character last year because if he was any other receiver, he would have lost it a long time ago with all the bad passes that come his way. ...

Agree with all of this. But I think Stevie is getting a little frayed around the edges about Fitz's inaccuracy.

GO BILLS!!!

Agree with all of this. But I think Stevie is getting a little frayed around the edges about Fitz's inaccuracy.

GO BILLS!!!

Yeah, he's a tough spot. He recognizes Fitz helped make him into a big money player. But he is definitely get held back. I don't think fans realize how good SJ is as a player and as rep for this team. He is a great guy who truly wants to win for Buffalo. In terms of where he was picked, one of the best draft picks in franchise history.

Are people really suggesting that our defense has outperformed Fitz this season?

Anybody with half a brain understands Fitz is not a very good QB. Average at best. Even on a good day.

Anybody that would suggest the defense has been better at their job than Fitz has been at his, is missing the other half of the brain.

GO BILLS!!!

I don't see anyone here that suggests Fitz is the only problem. Anyone with a pulse knows the defense is a massive problem. That's what makes the pick against Tennessee MORE maddening. We all knew Tennessee would score on our horrendous defense.

Yep. We are.

Yes, I agree that Fitz is not as good as Brady, a top 5 QB ever. But for as good as Brady has been, they had to win 2 straight to get to 5-3. The Giants had Eli Manning have his best year ever and had to rally to get to 9-7. No matter how good your QB is, you need a decent defense.

As sad as it is, this is our best offense since the Bledsoe years. I guess they could be scoring 30+ a game but the fact is that no team is going to consisently win with a defense like ours.

You need to have a good balance of offence and defence. If your defence is bad (like the Pats defence and some previous GB defences), your offence better be very good to counter act the bad defence and be able to win in shootouts or not give up the ball. If your offence is bad, you need to have a good defence to keep your team in games and close (like the 49ers, or even the Ravens and Bears). The Bears are winning in spite of their offence, while the Patriots are winning in spite of their defence.

I'm glad you used the term "decent" defence because if you look at the stats of yards and points given up by defences, the Giants defence isn't all that great (very bend but don't break) and that team wins because they have a great QB running an offence that can keep them in games. The Giants give up yards and over 20 points a game, but they are aggressive and can get to the QB which makes them look better.

The answers are:

1. We should try to upgrade at QB in the next draft.

2. It's risky business to find a franchinse QB (see Todd Collins, Rob Johnson, J.P. Losman, and Trent Edwards)

2. There are only 2-3 QB's in the league that could win with our historically bad Defense (Brady, Rodgers, Who else??)

3. Ryan Fitzpatrick has not played well this year. However, every mistake he makes is amplified because our Defense stinks beyond belief.

4. Our Defense is the main reason that our season has been disappointing so far

The answers are:

1. We should try to upgrade at QB in the next draft.

2. It's risky business to find a franchinse QB (see Todd Collins, Rob Johnson, J.P. Losman, and Trent Edwards)

2. There are only 2-3 QB's in the league that could win with our historically bad Defense (Brady, Rodgers, Who else??)

3. Ryan Fitzpatrick has not played well this year. However, every mistake he makes is amplified because our Defense stinks beyond belief.

4. Our Defense is the main reason that our season has been disappointing so far

You happened to be wrong about #2.

Every analysis of the draft is the success rate is 50% in round 1. Doesn't change by position.

So a QB is not riskier than picking a CB.

With the change in the Rookie Salary pool. You are no longer giving away the farm to a first round pick QB and married to them for the long haul.

You can divest your self of them much easier.

That is why the "second Tier QBs" are going so much earlier now. i.e. Ponder, Tannehill, Weeden etc.

The team is better off taking a QB every other year in the 1st round until they get one that works out. Instead of alternating between CBs and RBs and watching them leave town in 4 years or less.

Because this year Fitz is not performing even to the level of his inconsistent last year. He has always thrown bad picks that have cost games over the last couple of years (remember the Giants in 2011). He is missing open receivers even on short passes, forget about the long ones. His pick at the end of the Tenessee game was horrible and cost them the win. Forget about the D being bad, they should never have been in that spot.

He simply has to play better, smarter and be more accurate. Teams with bad Ds can only get better and win when they have a QB that 1) Puts up points and keeps them off the field or 2) Plays smart and doesn't continually put them in bad situations.

Unfortunately, Fitz is doing neither right now.

Perfect does not describe Fitzy's performance in any way shape or form.

He had a little over 200 yards passing.

The ball traveled from his hand to the receiver maybe 30 of those 200 yards.

If you think that is perfect, it may have been awhile since you've seen good QB play.

You're welcome to believe Fitz played perfectly except for 1 pass. If you believe good for you.

However in reality that isn't the case.

Same goes for you, "excellent", "right on the money and crisp"

Do not describe Fitz. Especially the "right on th money" description he has never been money before or after the Bills gave him money.

So if you really believe that you're unfamiliar with excellent QB play and what accurate passing looks like.

You're welcome to believe that but that is not reality.

you need to go watch the titans game again. closely.