Some things that confuse me

cmjoyce113

I for one don't call it dumb but get upset at what is on the field. People pay a lot of money to see these players play at the high level they do. I thought Fitz was going top play better and thought Mario was going to be a killer for us and Dave W. was going to fix the defense. Now look at us. Last in defense, Fitz is playing worse this year and Mario is being a locker room cancer. Who would have thought? The management took a shot and failed it. Not their fault at all with the exception of the cancer in the locker room. The NFL is only part talent but the other end is how the guys gel together. Something behind the scenes is not being brought out in some way or another. This to me makes it a dumb move because the fans pay the players not the owners. Empty seats leads to no team or a change. Fans have every right to be mad and complain. If the coach can't get a grip on why this is happening then the coach has to go. It's the way it is. If Chan is soft on the players and the players need a tough coach to lay down the law then so be it. This is why GM's get fired. Chan is trying all he can, but the job is not getting done. They either need to get some one in to do it or the GM needs to go for not getting the coach the right tools to get it done. People hate rebuilding but the team doesn't need to be rebuilt. They need a general to lead the path.

many would signed Mario but no one would stuck with Fitz, he was (is) a career backup for a reason, he simply doesn't have the talent to be a NFL starter.

I totally disagree, look at delhomme, Derek Anderson, etc.

Would u rather have Matt Fllynn, Carson Palmer, Kolb, Cassel, Romo?

Or we could have Locker, Gabbert, McaCoy, Tebow.

How did all of those decisions made by those GMs work out?

If you go into it thinking his play was going to be consistent (from Buddy's point of view) then yes there was a GM or 2 that would have done the same exact thing.

Agree. At the time, it seemed like a good idea. I did question paying this much money for ANY one player. If the guy gets hurt, you've got SO MUCH invested into ONE guy -- it's a big risk. <snip>

And, he is hurt and considering surgery on his wrist. And, Anderson is injured as well. And, the defense was worse with them in the lineup than it was last year.

I'm glad that we went after him and got him.

But hindsight being what it is, it's turned out to be a complete waste of money.

.....so far.... for this season.... which is not even half over.

And even thats a stretch, he's by far our best DE, in terms of production.

The thing I don't understand though is how anyone views the Mario signing as a dumb/stupid decision. Lets be honest, there were several teams that would have gladly signed him to the same contract we gave him, we just got the first chance.

We will never know if anyone else would have given him the same contract. In fact I suspect Nix knowingly went well over market value to make sure Mario signed with the Bills. I do not recall anyone thinking it was a bad move then.In fact Buddy being a genius was the general consensus as I recall.

If he leads you to the playoffs and looks as good as he did (no one in a production business expects to suck or someone they employ will start to suck) you pay him top money or franchise him. Buddy took a chance and it was the wrong one. It's the same mistake many GMs have made.

No but his price was only going up in Buddy's eyes, the closer they got to the end of the year.

The question is: How much would that have gone up? Especially considering that at that point the Bills hadn't played anyone in the AFC East except for the home encounter with the Pats.

Once again shows how poor the Bills front office has been at evaluating QBs.

Fitz was signed after what, 8 total good games? 2 at the end of one season and 6 in the next. Why not make him lead us to the playoffs to get an extension?

He didn't have a contract after the season was over.

I don't mean to start crap with anyone because all Bills fans have a right to be negative and a right to be pissed at the current situation.

The thing I don't understand though is how anyone views the Mario signing as a dumb/stupid decision. Lets be honest, there were several teams that would have gladly signed him to the same contract we gave him, we just got the first chance.

Fitz sucks now but Buddy took a chance on a QB we all saw play at a very high level and occasionally a low level. Point is they thought they knew what they were signing up for which is more than Seattle knows about Flynn, or Arizona Kolb or Cleveland Derek Anderson, etc.

It seems as though people will easily criticize moves that haven't worked out perfect but many other GM's would have done the same exact thing.

Just a thought...

I give Nix and Ralph credit for making a hard push for an extremely talented man to come to Buffalo at their team's greatest area of need...it seemed to be a perfect fit and I was excited as anyone when Mario signed with Buffalo, and I'm still happy about the signing....the issue is Mario's approach to his lack of production and to a greater extent, and this is more the point, the coaching staff's use of his talent and experience....I completely disagree with your take on Fitz, as I loathed the extension hoping that Fitz was merely the stop-gap to a long-term solution at QB and that he could manage the game well enough for the BILLS to at least "make" the playoffs...now, I see even that low expectation was setting the standard's bar too high....as of now, this team has no identity, lacking in coaching leadership, little discipline, lack of heart, and has been mismanaged from the time the Off-season began last year (not due to Mario) as result of focusing on other areas AFTER Mario and Anderson were signed....after Mario, QB needed to be the one focal point on this team and it simply was not....It was not, because Chan loves Fitz and Nix has allowed Chan to make his call regarding the QB of Chan's choosing....at this point, Chan and his staff along with Fitz merely need to exit, tail between legs and only return to Buffalo as a fan or as an opponent....enough said

I don't mean to start crap with anyone because all Bills fans have a right to be negative and a right to be pissed at the current situation.

Fitz sucks now but Buddy took a chance on a QB we all saw play at a very high level and occasionally a low level. Point is they thought they knew what they were signing up for which is more than Seattle knows about Flynn, or Arizona Kolb or Cleveland Derek Anderson, etc.

It seems as though people will easily criticize moves that haven't worked out perfect but many other GM's would have done the same exact thing.

Just a thought...

I really appreciate your optimism, but who were the several other teams that would have given Mario that contract? He didn't have any other interviews and Houston wasn't going to give it to him. Mario should have been, and might still be a upgrade at DE, but he really has never been a consistent dominating player, which one should be for that contract. Your statement on Fitz that we all saw him play at a high level and "occasionally" at a low level? Really? He has had more low levels then he has high levels. Unless you have inside information, I wouldn't throw around "several other teams", "many other GMs" when you don't really know that, but are saying it to display your optimism, but most likely are very, very, very, very inaccurate statements.

He didn't have a contract after the season was over.

He led the league in interceptions, lost 8 of 9 games, wouldn't have been alot of teams throwing millions his way, in fact, I am pretty confident in saying that if you were foolish enough and really wanted him back, you could have gotten him for alot less then that extension was, or he would have probably been unemployed or making minimum NFL salary as a backup.

Buddy nix paid a guy who had started the last 8 games of 09, 13 of the final 14 of 2010, and was the current STARTING qb of his 4-2 at the time football team. What is everyone's problem with paying a guy for what his job is? He paid him an average starting qbs salary which is what he was and is whether he's good enough or not. If anything the money we didn't pay him in 09-10 should keep everyone quiet as he was quite a bargain at that point. Everyone here who complains about fitz getting paid must be an employers dream and ask to be paid the equivalent of people at there place of work who have less duties and obligations

The Bills confuse me too, I was all for the Mario Williams signing and while I didn't expect Bruce Smith level of play I'm stunned by what I've seen (if he needs surgery on the wrist he should get it right now because Kyle Moore is out playing him) but do you want the Bills to stay out of Free Agency because they haven't been very good in the draft either.