Bills vs. Redskins. Similar teams with similar problems.

FireChan

Both of these teams have horrible defenses and lose because of them. I will not deny that RG3 is better than Fitzpatrick in every way imaginable, but he can't even win with his defense giving up so many points.

I know you all say a new QB means we will be a playoff caliber team, but even an all star rookie can only lead his horrible defense to a 3-4 season so far.

Sorry, Fitz blamers, I know it's easy to hate on the average guy who makes mistakes, but even superstars can't work with a horrible defense.

That horrible bills defense held texans - best record in afc - to their lowest point total at home this year. If the offense can't do better than a measly 9 points there's no defense that can save them.

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

Did anybody hear what Shanahan said after the loss last night? Dear lord, he's already given up on his team and said he will start making personnel decisions from this point on.

Gailey or Shanahan. Six of one... And if he's making personnel decisions, they're finished.

That horrible bills defense held texans - best record in afc - to their lowest point total at home this year. If the offense can't do better than a measly 9 points there's no defense that can save them.

What an accomplishment, holding the opposition too only 21 points. Just awesome. Dominating is the adjective actually.

What an accomplishment, holding the opposition too only 21 points. Just awesome. Dominating is the adjective actually.

With this defense against that offense, on the road, and with NO help from the offense? It is.

We aren't discussing the future, we're discussing this season. There's no reason to bag on Fitz for not being able to win us games this year when RG3 can't even do it.

Neither the Bills nor the Redskins have a chance of winning the upcoming Super Bowl. The discussion shouldn't be about this season. It should be about how close the two teams are to building themselves into respectable Super Bowl contenders.

Both teams will need significantly better defenses to become Super Bowl contenders. In addition, we can know, with a reasonable degree of certainty, that the Bills will not win a Super Bowl ring while Fitzpatrick is their starting quarterback. On the bright side, the Bills have one of the best running games in team history. And a very good offensive line.

Ravens won the SB 12 years ago. Since then a 144 teams have made the playoffs and you find 3 examples of average to below average QBs making the playoffs. Congratulations! I'd rather not have the Bills build their team to be the exception to the rule.

I'm thinking those 3 were just examples. I can think of plenty more:

TJ Yates

Rex Grossman/Kyle Orton

Matt Hasselback

Matt Cassel

Jay Fiedler

Chad Pennington

Drew Bledsoe

Kerry Collins

Brad Johnson

Rich Gannon

Ty Dettmer

Kelly Holcomb

Tim Tebow

I'm sure there are others.

I'd just like to make the playoffs once before getting all geeked about Super Bowl or bust. Heck, I'd be happy with a non losing season at this point first. Once we have a good team, we can replace the QB. Heck, a good QB might want to even come here at that point.

Edited by reddogblitz

I'm thinking those 3 were just examples. I can think of plenty more:

TJ Yates

Rex Grossman/Kyle Orton

Matt Hasselback

Matt Cassel

Jay Fiedler

Chad Pennington

Drew Bledsoe

Kerry Collins

Brad Johnson

Rich Gannon

Ty Dettmer

Kelly Holcomb

Tim Tebow

I'm sure there are others.

I'd just like to make the playoffs once before getting all geeked about Super Bowl or bust. Heck, I'd be happy with a non losing season at this point first. Once we have a good team, we can replace the QB. Heck, a good QB might want to even come here at that point.

> Once we have a good team, we can replace the QB.

Good team => good record => low draft position => many of the best QB prospects are off the board long before you pick. The right time to get your QB is before you get good, because that's when your draft position will be the best.

> Heck, a good QB might want to even come here at that point.

It's very rare for a franchise QB to change teams while in his prime. Sure, you could point to Kurt Warner as an example. He had some injuries in the middle of his career, those injuries hampered his play, and the Rams gave up on him. The Cardinals wisely didn't, and were rewarded. But the Cardinals only got 5 years out of him before he retired--five years out of his 12 year career. Compare the Cardinals' five year window to the >10 year window enjoyed by teams like the Colts (Manning) or Patriots (Brady). The more times you're up to bat, the more likely you are to hit a home run (Super Bowl win).

Besides which, it's not exactly as though the league is bursting with examples of franchise QBs who have become free agents mid-career. Over the last 10 - 15 years, the only other guy in that category is Drew Brees.

Absolutely not.. For starters we woulda won that Tennessee game for sure and maybe pulled out the win in Texas the Jets game woulda been won also you forget Shitz threw like 4 picks.. The only games for sure we would have lost NE and SF.. So we would be 5-2 maybe 4-3 but not 3-4... I dare you to say im wrong...

Both of these teams have horrible defenses and lose because of them. I will not deny that RG3 is better than Fitzpatrick in every way imaginable, but he can't even win with his defense giving up so many points.

I know you all say a new QB means we will be a playoff caliber team, but even an all star rookie can only lead his horrible defense to a 3-4 season so far.

Sorry, Fitz blamers, I know it's easy to hate on the average guy who makes mistakes, but even superstars can't work with a horrible defense.

I have said for awhile that they are similar teams. Two of the worst owners in football. Great fanbases. The big difference though, like you said, they have the most important piece it appears to build and that is QB. Our's will never be a franchise QB, you can't make a guy that just by paying him like that. Neither team has drafted very well, although they have hit on a couple good defenders, who both happen to be out for the year with injuries. Another difference is, if Daniel Snyder wants a top name head coach there, he can get him, none will come to Buffalo.

Neither the Bills nor the Redskins have a chance of winning the upcoming Super Bowl. The discussion shouldn't be about this season. It should be about how close the two teams are to building themselves into respectable Super Bowl contenders.

Both teams will need significantly better defenses to become Super Bowl contenders. In addition, we can know, with a reasonable degree of certainty, that the Bills will not win a Super Bowl ring while Fitzpatrick is their starting quarterback. On the bright side, the Bills have one of the best running games in team history. And a very good offensive line.

Not sure about in history, but the down side of our running game, at least in Jackson's case, he will be gone by the time this team ever becomes a winner, if it ever does.

Not sure about in history, but the down side of our running game, at least in Jackson's case, he will be gone by the time this team ever becomes a winner, if it ever does.

Good point about Jackson, unfortunately. :(

O.J. Simpson had a season in which he averaged 6.0 yards per carry; and another season in which he averaged 5.5 yards per carry. Thurman Thomas had a couple of seasons in which he averaged 4.9 yards per carry; with the rest of his seasons less than that. Thus far this season, Spiller has averaged over 7 yards per carry. I for one am very, very pleased with the Bills' running game. :)