SU Hoops 2012 edition...

The Poojer

He does remind me of Hak as well, but I think he could be much, much better. We'll probably get to enjoy him one more year...

He does see to have better foot speed. Hakim was just freakish with his wingspan and hops. Grant seems like a more proportionate athlete who'd be a perfect SF at the NBA level if he develops an outside shot. That will be the only thing holding him back from leaving. Not sure what his family situation is like. If he's still under daddy's financial wing, I can imagine him staying a while as kids of former players seem to understand the advantage of getting a degree and developing your game.

• Replies 601
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

anyone from this board going to the nova game tomorrow(saturday)? I am gonna go down there and try and get tickets...i would imagine the Syracuse Alumni will hold a pre-game party at xfinity or mcfaddens before hand. should be a good time filled with SU fans...let me know and we can meet up

anyone from this board going to the nova game tomorrow(saturday)? I am gonna go down there and try and get tickets...i would imagine the Syracuse Alumni will hold a pre-game party at xfinity or mcfaddens before hand. should be a good time filled with SU fans...let me know and we can meet up

Not going to the game, but I have a friend making the trip over from DC for the game. He said there is a consortium of Cuse fans pre-post gaming at McFadden's. Also, FWIW I'm hearing rumors that Southerland will be reinstated for tomorrow's game. I don't have a link....just the word around the campfire ;)

Not going to the game, but I have a friend making the trip over from DC for the game. He said there is a consortium of Cuse fans pre-post gaming at McFadden's. Also, FWIW I'm hearing rumors that Southerland will be reinstated for tomorrow's game. I don't have a link....just the word around the campfire ;)

I would love to know who your "sources" are because you are normally spot on with Cuse bball news

confirmed or not...i'm spreading it....

I would love to know who your "sources" are because you are normally spot on with Cuse bball news

If I told you the I would have to kill you, and I don't want to do that :ph34r:

Let's just say I know someone who is employed by the university within the athletic department. This individual keeps me up to date on all the "happenings" on the hill. This person told me that there is a good likelihood that Southy's problems will be resolved (or have been...they weren't specific), and that he will be available for Nova tomorrow. Now, mind you, I was told that this is a likely scenario....by no means a definite.

I will do my best to continue to share my "inside information" with the good folks at TBD, but if something proves to be false or only partially accurate, please be easy on the messenger :)

I put it on Facebook & twitter...I emphasized 'unconfirmed' and 'could be' at full strength...fingers crossed...

If I told you the I would have to kill you, and I don't want to do that :ph34r:

Let's just say I know someone who is employed by the university within the athletic department. This individual keeps me up to date on all the "happenings" on the hill. This person told me that there is a good likelihood that Southy's problems will be resolved (or have been...they weren't specific), and that he will be available for Nova tomorrow. Now, mind you, I was told that this is a likely scenario....by no means a definite.

I will do my best to continue to share my "inside information" with the good folks at TBD, but if something proves to be false or only partially accurate, please be easy on the messenger :)

I put it on Facebook & twitter...I emphasized 'unconfirmed' and 'could be' at full strength...fingers crossed...

I just texted my person to get an update, and they told me that Southy did not board the team bus to Philadelphia this afternoon. Said there may have been a "snag." This does not necessarily mean that he isn't going to play tomorrow, but it certainly isn't encouraging news. Sorry if I jumped the gun on this one, but I still have my fingers crossed :thumbsup:

BTW...did anybody know that Southerland has a severe problem with flatulence? Just found this out today....pretty funny.

A 'snag' doesn't sound horrible... maybe I can suit up

I just texted my person to get an update, and they told me that Southy did not board the team bus to Philadelphia this afternoon. Said there may have been a "snag." This does not necessarily mean that he isn't going to play tomorrow, but it certainly isn't encouraging news. Sorry if I jumped the gun on this one, but I still have my fingers crossed :thumbsup:

BTW...did anybody know that Southerland has a severe problem with flatulence? Just found this out today....pretty funny.

If he wasn't on the bus then it is highly unlikely that he will play. Bummer

Good thing is he really hasn't been missed...that's not to take anything away from his value to the team...rather a credit to rak, grant, coleman, cooney & keita...

I was told that there are several incidences in which student athletes on "short-term" or "pending" suspensions do not travel with the team, and still manage to play. One specific example, albeit it happened some time ago, involved Billy Owens. He, along with several other players, received some disciplinary action during his sophomore year. He was not with the team on the flight to South Bend to play the Irish, but miraculously was cleared and started the game the following day. It was assumed that the "disciplinary committee" made a decision at the 11th hour, and Billy was flown to Notre Dame.

Like I said...still crossing my fingers.

My buddy is a news anchor in Syracuse... he just replied to my Facebook post to keep him informed so he can report it out... :-)

I decided not to give him the flatulence rumor...

I'll keep you updated if I hear anything. lol...your buddy probably already knows about the flatulence thing if he covers Cuse basketball. I hear interviews with Southy can be excruciating.

Edited by Johnny Hammersticks

I called both xfinity and McFadden's and neither one could tell me if an SU alumni event was scheduled... broad st bullies hosted the temple football game tailgate...I'll be there around 9am

Heard that loads of Cuse fans will also be at the Broad Street Bullies Pub inside that Xfinity Complex.

I refuse to talk about the refs, because I think their effect on the game was pretty obvious.

I was probably most disappointed with JB. I thought he made some really bad coaching decisions. We finally got into an offensive rhythm and he decides to run clock with way too much time left. Thought that was a big mistake.

Also not sure you could trust grant to play with his 4 fouls. I think he needed to go to Coleman and save grant-- but he didn't and grant fouled out with 9 minutes left.

Cuse didn't play well but JB didn't really do the team any favors.

I refuse to talk about the refs, because I think their effect on the game was pretty obvious.

I was probably most disappointed with JB. I thought he made some really bad coaching decisions. We finally got into an offensive rhythm and he decides to run clock with way too much time left. Thought that was a big mistake.

Also not sure you could trust grant to play with his 4 fouls. I think he needed to go to Coleman and save grant-- but he didn't and grant fouled out with 9 minutes left.

Cuse didn't play well but JB didn't really do the team any favors.

I completely agree that JB made some very questionable coaching decisions, and may have played a large role in the loss. Taking the air out of the ball up 6 points with 4 minutes left was a very bad idea IMO. As you said, our offense was "getting into a rhythym," and was killing Nova off the dribble and getting to the foul line (and making foul shots). Granted, if MCW makes the front end of that 1 and 1 at the end of the game....we're up by four with about 20+ seconds left...game over. Also agree with your point about Grant playing with four fouls...I was screaming at the TV to take him out.

I can probably count on one hand the times that I have assigned blame to JB (at least in part) for a loss. This was one of them. Nova came to play today, and Jay Wright is one hell of a coach IMO. He made some great adjustments during the game, and had his players ready to play hard. Kudos to the Wildcats on the win.

Edited by Johnny Hammersticks

Well then, that sucked. According to Pomeroy we were a 97% favorite with the ball up 3. MCW WTF. Complete tire fire the last 5 min's.

+1 on Cooney being the worst sharpshooter in history. Reminds me of that tall Nova white kid who transferred from Duke a few years ago - good reputation somehow but just consistent airballs.

The analytics say Pitt is a much better team than what the polls say so it's likely we'll be a slight underdog on the road. We'll see if there's any truth to this idea that we play better in that role.