The Bills Gambled and Lost

OnTheRocks

There is a lot to be said for the courage Tom Coughlin showed in NY this year benching Kurt Warner for Eli Manning. Maybe the Giants make the playoffs, (and maybe not) with Warner at QB. But Coughlin seemed to have a clear understanding that his team was not going to go far in a very WEAK NFC playoff this year. So,...he puts the Vet on the bench and plays Eli Manning who stinks up the joint for the entire second half of the year. NOW...going into next year he has significant "real game" experience. Where he showed a lot of improvment.

I am not saying it was wrong to keep Bledsoe in the lineup. The Bills were on a torrid win streak, and it was being said by most that they were the team no one wanted to face. A part of me...in hindsight...sort of wishes the Bills had been eliminated from the playoffs at least three weeks ago so they could have given Losman some significant playing time as well. But here is the thing...it was an exciting 6 week run....of road wins...home wins...lots of points scored....exciting defense...exciting special teams.

So...the Bills went on a run...and gambled that they would make the playoffs with Bledsoe....they would assuradly not have made the playoffs with Losman.

The question now is....have they forfeited the chance to make the playoffs next year as well due to the huge question marks at the QB position???

There is a lot to be said for the courage Tom Coughlin showed in NY this year benching Kurt Warner for Eli Manning.  Maybe the Giants make the playoffs, (and maybe not) with Warner at QB.  But Coughlin seemed to have a clear understanding that his team was not going to go far in a very WEAK NFC playoff this year.  So,...he puts the Vet on the bench and plays Eli Manning who stinks up the joint for the entire second half of the year.  NOW...going into next year he has significant "real game" experience.  Where he showed a lot of improvment.

I am not saying it was wrong to keep Bledsoe in the lineup.  The Bills were on a torrid win streak, and it was being said by most that they were the team no one wanted to face.  A part of me...in hindsight...sort of wishes the Bills had been eliminated from the playoffs at least three weeks ago so they could have given Losman some significant playing time as well.  But here is the thing...it was an exciting 6 week run....of road wins...home wins...lots of points scored....exciting defense...exciting special teams. 

So...the Bills went on a run...and gambled that they would make the playoffs with Bledsoe....they would assuradly not have made the playoffs with Losman. 

The question now is....have they forfeited the chance to make the playoffs next year as well due to the huge question marks at the QB position???

190225[/snapback]

The answer is yes. Next year=more futility.

Losman is a far cry from Manning "stock."  Nice to have that luxury in your arsenal.

Losman is a lot more "fragile."

190259[/snapback]

how can you be so sure of that?

i mean...his injury was a freak thing this summer. there a plenty of QB's that come out of nowhere and become stars in the NFL. (Tom Brady...etc.)

If Losman is going to be the Bills' QB of the future, it is time to realize the future is now. We won't win a title with Drew, so what is the point? Who here disagrees with that? If the coaching staff -- especially Sam Wyche while he still have have him -- cannot get JP ready in nine months, why should we believe they ever can? Give JP the starting job now or start looking for another free agent QB -- and let the fans know why you used a first rounder on JP?

190225[/snapback]

No. One can say never in this parity driven NFL. You have to let JP Losman

compete for the starting job with DB in training camp and give him a shot

to be the leader.

We have a good defense and good special teams. Offensivley we are growing

into the system by another year. A mistake free QB who does not fear to

make his throws or run with the ball will help this offense keep the D on the

toes.

Look at big Ben...He was not the starter at the begining of the season. However

with a good D/ST and a solid OL, they had him manage the game.

The answer is yes.  Next year=more futility.

190228[/snapback]

Unfortunately I agree.

I think the Bills will face a season like the Bengals did this year. Commit to the young QB and let him go through his growing pains....and hopefully within 2 years, he will have matured into quality player.

the bad side to that is....by then....who will be left on defense?

I agree with the premise, that the Bills gambled and lost, but not the conclusion that the Bills can't make the playoffs next year with Losman... if the coaches are good enough, if the surrounding players are good enough, if Losman has enough natural talent, the playoffs are possible even with a rookie at QB.

As for this season and gambling, I certainly now wish that Losman had been starting as soon as he recovered from injury. Donahoe and Mularkey ended up putting a lot of money on red and it came up black when they started Drew. It's unfair, and it's hindsight, but you judge people by the bottomline.

Unfortunately I agree.

I think the Bills will face a season like the Bengals did this year.  Commit to the young QB and let him go through his growing pains....and hopefully within 2 years, he will have matured into quality player.

the bad side to that is....by then....who will be left on defense?

190364[/snapback]

That's the saddest part for me... the way this team is currently assembled, it's impossible for the Bills to win the Super Bowl. Let's say the defense can play two more years at this level (and that's probably being optimistic. in today's fast changing NFL, it's probably just one more year of greatness). It doesn't matter because the Bills are fatally flawed at QB - they'll either have washed up Bledsoe or too-raw Losman at the helm. They can sneak into the playoffs, but can they win anything? No. By the end of 2006, we'll have wasted two or three years of a dominant defense.

That's the saddest part for me... the way this team is currently assembled, it's impossible for the Bills to win the Super Bowl.  Let's say the defense can play two more years at this level (and that's probably being optimistic.  in today's fast changing NFL, it's probably just one more year of greatness).  It doesn't matter because the Bills are fatally flawed at QB - they'll either have washed up Bledsoe or too-raw Losman at the helm.  They can sneak into the playoffs, but can they win anything?  No.  By the end of 2006, we'll have wasted two or three years of a dominant defense.

190398[/snapback]

Too raw as ... Roethlisberger? or Too raw as ... Luke McCown? And is either raw a better option than another year of DB?

That's the gamble. Pittsburgh gambled and went 15-1, but it could be argued -- and very well I might add -- that it was the pieces around Big Ben that determined that level of success. When Plaxico got hurt, Ben wasn't as effective but still won. If we think that most of the pieces are there (WM, Evans, etc.), Losman doesn't have to be a superstar ... just effective. Like Brady effective.

It would be foolish for anyone who has never seen Losman play at Tulane, including myself, to suggest whether he should or should not be starting for the Bills.

From all I've read, Ben and JP were from two different programs and virtually nothing that Losman did at Tulane resembles what he is seeing in the NFL. I've heard the draftniks frequently say he spent the better part of his career on the run. Also, from what I'm told, it's his raw talent that needs to be further developed, in addition to getting some familiarity with the professional game.

I wish the draftniks would show up.

The Steelers didn't gamble with Ben. Maddox went down with an injury...and Ben went in and played well. Had Maddox played mediocre...and the Steelers went 9-7...I don't know that they would have benched Maddox.

How much you wanna bet no matter how much we complain on the board or how much we B word about it......it is quite obvious that the front office will keep Drew Bledsoe as the starter next b\c they still believe in him for some reason. Do I agree with it NOOOOOOOOOOOO do most of youy agree with it obviously NO.

But at this point we already know where this is going to lead to next year...

how can you be so sure of that? 

i mean...his injury was a freak thing this summer.  there a plenty of QB's that come out of nowhere and become stars in the NFL.  (Tom Brady...etc.)

190274[/snapback]

He doesn't know that...he is just being happily pestimistic.

Losman has no history of being fragile, and what did happen to him this spring was a freak thing.

he will prove to be just what we need here. Someone who is a tough leader, and someone who can move around...and throw at the same time.

Bledsoe sucks ass, and he will make a great clip board holder.

Solving the quarterback dilemna is obviously the key to next season, no matter how much you beef-up the OL. My concern is that TD will go out and sign two stud free agent linemen and everyone will relax and say that Bledsoe will now be able to excel. That would likely be a costly assumption because you never know who might go down on that line, and you'd be back where you started from, i.e.where we are now.

Banking on Losman to be ready, simply because he has nine months ahead of him, would be quite foolhardy., as well.

Admit you made a mistake with Bledsoe, get a solid veteran, if at all possible, and see what Losman can do without putting all your eggs in his basket.

Solving the quarterback dilemna is obviously the key to next season, no matter how much you beef-up the OL.  My concern is that TD will go out and sign two stud free agent linemen and everyone will relax and say that Bledsoe will now be able to excel.  That would likely be a costly assumption because you never know who might go down on that line, and you'd be back where you started from, i.e.where we are now.

Banking on Losman to be ready, simply because he has nine months ahead of him, would be quite foolhardy., as well.

Admit you made a mistake with Bledsoe, get a solid veteran, if at all possible, and see what Losman can do without putting all your eggs in his basket.

190592[/snapback]

at what expense? they gave up a #1 pick two years ago to get Bledsoe. They gave up this years 1st round pick to get Losman. (i know...i know...it's a wash in regard to giving up a first this year to get two firsts last year. )

The point is....what are you willing to give up to get ANOTHER "proven" QB?

If that QB you get is any good...the chances are...he won't be available at a cheap price. Certainly not a price the Bills will be willing to pay.