Johnny White Now a Packer

ChasBB

Joique Bell I believe is playing good for Detroit now... Good back.

Bell has been "pedestrian" at best for the Lions. He really isn't anything special, which has been a pretty big part of the Lions problems on offense...they can't run the ball. Bell has 20 carries for 78 yards (3.9 avg) and 13 catches for 178- 1 rushing td. He is a better receiver out of the backfield than a runner. I would be comfortable with him as a 3rd or 4th RB, but not as a starter. Though, I think I would prefer him to Johnny White.

If the Lions can't get LeShoure healthy, they are cooked...

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 kickers and 4 QBs and yet we can't kick a field goal past 50 yards or throw the ball farther than 20 yards.

Well, I don't bother to post very often, and who knows if I am even really signed in or whatever, but to me this comment says it all about this season:

1. Fitz, as much as we all like him and want him to be 'the man', is clearly not the (dominant) 'man' very often, and in this league a winning quarterback needs to be the man on a regular basis, not a few times per game.

2. How many of the six teams we've played so far this season have field goal kickers that also kick touchbacks? Our touchback ticker isn't even doing that, so an incredibly valuable roster spot for actual football players (with apologies to kickers, long snappers) goes a 'wasting?!

3. If Brad Smith, who is obviously a talented boy, had a magic arm, then he should be starting over Fitzy!! If he doesn't, it makes the "Lapcat" incredibly one dimensional, and therefore expendable, imho. If that decision also makes BS expendable, so be it; get some more linemen.

4. "4 QB's and 2 Kickers" and we "can't throw it more than 20 yards or kick it 50" says it all, in a nutshell, about the frustration with the Nix/Gailey regime, it all just seems so impotent (with huge exceptions to FredEx and CJ and the OLine and Stevie). Our team has so much talent, drive, and yes manliness, but in toto, watching them in toto it looks like ballet class...

OK, so my opinions notwithstanding, Coach's remark is absolutely dead-effin on....

I feel that Johnny was a great change of pace back who runs low to the ground with more power than Choice. Choice is more versatile, but we have two versatile shifty backs in the backfield and choice seems to be a lesser copy of those two.

I felt the same way about Joique Bell who tore up a preseason for us a few years ago, but was released. Aside from his unfortunate name, was a very good power runner with great vision and change of direction and has been more involved the past two weeks in Detroit's offense.

Two kids that I thought were quality players and somewhat victims of coaching changes and the numbers game. It will be interesting to see how these two castoffs perform in their new settings.

Like everyone else says, it's a good sign when your castoffs are picked up by other organizations.

I liked him too, and with CJ/Fred being injury risks, having a fourth RB is critical. Dorin is a good pass catcher in the flats and such, but Johnny was a decent RB between the tackles. Too bad to see him go.

Just like Duke Preston who also was picked up by GB a few years ago

Why, with Fred Jackson and CJ Spiller on this team, are we complaining that Johnny White isn't around anymore and that he should have gotten more carries? Makes no sense at all. The 4th string RB touches the ball maybe 2 or 3 times a game if he's lucky. I want to see the best players on the field, and Jackson and Spiller are lightyears better than Johnny White. I wouldn't want to sacrafice their touches to get a 4th string RB more involved.

Bell has been "pedestrian" at best for the Lions. He really isn't anything special, which has been a pretty big part of the Lions problems on offense...they can't run the ball. Bell has 20 carries for 78 yards (3.9 avg) and 13 catches for 178- 1 rushing td. He is a better receiver out of the backfield than a runner. I would be comfortable with him as a 3rd or 4th RB, but not as a starter. Though, I think I would prefer him to Johnny White.

If the Lions can't get LeShoure healthy, they are cooked...

Didnt know the stats, I caught some of the game with his first career td and the announcers were raving about him and at the time I was wishing he was a BILL.

Buffalo is kind of a runningback factory. You had lower marquee players like Shawn Bryson who did a decent job in detroit. Antoine Smith, Sammy Morris, Travis Henry, Mcgahee, Lynch. Some guys with wait and see potential like Bell and White. Then obviously we have Fred Ex and Spiller. Now only if we could have that same kind of success at linebacker.

Why he doesn't get the ball on 3rd and short instead of the horrible empty backfield passes annoys me.

Totally agree.

Granted we can't compare ourselves to NFL coaches but IMO, an empty set is ridiculous unless the offense is facing a 3rd and 30 or a hail mary situation.

Having the RB back there gives the QB both a receiver and an extra pass blocker.

I just don't get the empty set.