Bolden Averaged 9.46 ypc in the 2nd half

1B4IDie

That is why we lost.

Plain and simple run defense.

Nothing else had as big effect on the game as the ease that the Patriots rushed the ball on the Bills "new and improved" defense.

You can overcome turnovers, you can overcome Brady's passing, You CANNOT overcome 13 carries for 123 yards in the second half.

It was a complete embarrassment.

It doesn't matter that we're in the new pass wacky NFL.

You will not make the playoffs if your opponents can run at you and average 6.175 yards a carry as a team.

You can cut the entire "new and improved" defense get Free Agents off the street and they couldn't have a worse showing in the run defense.

Complete embarrassment.

Edited by Why So Serious?

This is why we lost, yes the offense's 6 turnovers did not help, but our run defense was destroyed today.

My question is, how did that happen?

In fact, while it shouldn't take blame from the O, I would argue the turnovers were a neutral factor in the loss. We were ahead 21-7 in the 3rd quarter despite 3 1st half turnovers. The three TD drives the D allowed to make it 28-21 weren't short field-they weren't the result of turnovers - just plain and simple horrible D. The remaining 3 turnovers just took us from "beaten" to "whipped like curs in the street".

This is why we lost, yes the offense's 6 turnovers did not help, but our run defense was destroyed today.

My question is, how did that happen?

It happened because the Bills were in Nickel or Dime the entire game. They took Sheppard and Moats off the field, who have been HUGE in run support this year. And while most teams play Nickel against the Patriots, the Bills version of it was terrible. Scott and Barnett were the only 2 LBs in the game for 90% of the snaps. So when Brady saw 43 as the "Mike" he'd audible to a run and gash the Bills for 10 yards each time.

And Wanny saw this the entire first half, the entire 3rd quarter and most of the 4th THEN put Sheppard and Moats back in. Ridiculous.

It happened because the Bills were in Nickel or Dime the entire game. They took Sheppard and Moats off the field, who have been HUGE in run support this year. And while most teams play Nickel against the Patriots, the Bills version of it was terrible. Scott and Barnett were the only 2 LBs in the game for 90% of the snaps. So when Brady saw 43 as the "Mike" he'd audible to a run and gash the Bills for 10 yards each time.

And Wanny saw this the entire first half, the entire 3rd quarter and most of the 4th THEN put Sheppard and Moats back in. Ridiculous.

And Brady went right to a pass on the te moats was covering. Teams ran on our nickel since game one of the preseason, but we don't have any other lb's that can cover. So we left the coverage guys in and relied on the front four to stop the run.

Defense is 90% coaching and 10% players. Thats why regardless of where ever Wade Phillips and Mike Nolan go they have top 3 defenses instantly, regardless of players.

With the talent we have we should be able to lure one of the 4-5 defensive masterminds to our staff.

I thought I was seeing that.

What I was in disbelief was there were no adjustments. It was clear they were checking down to the run and getting an 11 yard rip up the gut. And the Bills were basically just watching it happen over and over again.