Packers-Seahawks Live Game Thread

I thought that the whole play becomes reviewable? Man, Tate just pushed that guy right to the ground.

That penalty is never

I think Tate possessed the defender's arm. Does that count?

And part of his neck.

Made it real hard to roll away as cv pointed out. The more slo-mo and stills I see the more I will argue that Tate didn't possess that ball, he just landed tight enough to the defender to eventually get his hands on it

This isn't a 90-10 issue like some have said- it's Tate pulling the defenders body back to get hands on it after they land.

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm one who hates extra rules and regulations in any phase of life but perhaps in the last 2 minutes of a game, extra scrutiny can be placed to get calls right. Even calling penalties that normally couldn't be called when reviewed. If this idea is taking it too far then say so cause I hate extra rules. I'm normally a let em play kinda guy.

That penalty is never

And part of his neck.

Made it real hard to roll away as cv pointed out. The more slo-mo and stills I see the more I will argue that Tate didn't possess that ball, he just landed tight enough to the defender to eventually get his hands on it

This isn't a 90-10 issue like some have said- it's Tate pulling the defenders body back to get hands on it after they land.

It looks to me as if tate has his left hand on the ball the whole time and as he is landing he wraps his arm around the plaeys arm with his right hand also on the ball. I think if jennings doesnt cath it neither does tate but the way the rule is written it makes it appear to me that it should be ruled a touchdown. You can not say who has more possession, you also cant say that if jennings didnt cath it that tate wouldnt have either even though I think that is probably the case.

That was a touchdown. YOu have to come down with the ball to have possession, even though jennings touched the ball first they both came down with it in their arms. Tate had possession as well, it is a touchdown. They made the right call, is it controversial sure but I bet the real refs make the same call.

Jennings did not "touch" the ball first. He grabbed it out off the air, secured it to his chest, feet hit the ground then the Seattle player at best got his palms on it as Jennings fell.

Don't take my word on it. This is a major stink. BADLY blown call decides game at last second.

Jennings did not "touch" the ball first. He grabbed it out off the air, secured it to his chest, feet hit the ground then the Seattle player at best got his palms on it as Jennings fell.

Don't take my word on it. This is a major stink. BADLY blown call decides game at last second.

Tate had his hands on the ball before they hit the ground, I agree that jennings caught the ball first, but the rule doesnt say that the person touching the ball or catching the ball first gets it. They both had possession at the same time as they hit the ground. SO it is a TouchDown

Peter king calling it the biggest disgrace in nfl history

Sorry, but he's wrong. Even if the calls in this game were incorrect (and I argue that it WAS a catch and the only mistake was not calling offensive PI -- which they never call on a hail mary), the "Just give it to 'em" game was a FAR bigger disgrace - and done with "real" officials.

First was just a bad play by the defender. Down means down not forward right at the offense. The 2nd was more comparable. Neither strategy ... go for pick or knock it away is fool proof ... its all about playing the odds. And for me it seems a lot simpler to break a play up than go for an INT. I'm sure there are plenty of examples of a defender going for an INT and losing the battle with a WR too.

Fair enough.

Tate had his hands on the ball before they hit the ground, I agree that jennings caught the ball first, but the rule doesnt say that the person touching the ball or catching the ball first gets it. They both had possession at the same time as they hit the ground. SO it is a TouchDown

Agree with this 100%.

I'm one who hates extra rules and regulations in any phase of life but perhaps in the last 2 minutes of a game, extra scrutiny can be placed to get calls right. Even calling penalties that normally couldn't be called when reviewed. If this idea is taking it too far then say so cause I hate extra rules. I'm normally a let em play kinda guy.

Every minute of those 60 minutes is equally important. I don't understand why we should have special rules for the last two minutes. Why is a fumble or incomplete catch in the 5th minute of the game any different from the one at the 59th minute.

It looks to me as if tate has his left hand on the ball the whole time and as he is landing he wraps his arm around the plaeys arm with his right hand also on the ball. I think if jennings doesnt cath it neither does tate but the way the rule is written it makes it appear to me that it should be ruled a touchdown. You can not say who has more possession, you also cant say that if jennings didnt cath it that tate wouldnt have either even though I think that is probably the case.

I said neither - I said Tate pulled the defenders body back after they landed to get hands touching the ball. That is not simultaneous. The defender completed the catch, and Tate grabbed the ball after. In the air he had his arm, body, and may have touched the ball but never in any sense of the word control. A WR tackling a defender making a pick and grabbing the ball after they land is not simultaneous possession.

Every minute of those 60 minutes is equally important. I don't understand why we should have special rules for the last two minutes. Why is a fumble or incomplete catch in the 5th minute of the game any different from the one at the 59th minute.

I agree fully that every minute, every second even is equally important. But if I pressed my point for every second, then a game could last 10 hours possibly. But it's more football, so maybe that's not a bad thing.

I don't remember this big of a national fuss being made over the "Just give it to 'em" game, and that was with real refs. That was the biggest NFL disgrace I have witnessed.

That one DID have an PI on a Hail Mary, too. In addition to the just give it to 'em............I agree - that was the biggest disgrace I've seen. 2nd one Bills wise was the game in 75 when Mercury Morris fumbled.

What game was that ?

I think you're being sarcastic (apologies if you're not). And to think this was before the league's lovefest with the Pats began. And how ironic that Pete Carroll benefitted from the terrible calls made in this game. http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/nfl/scoreboards/1998/11/29/recap.new_england.buffalo.html

The thing is Pilsner, they already have made every score reviewable. What else do you feel they should do?

One possible idea is that the whole context of the play should be reviewable - ie, not just the question of whether it was simultaneous possession, or a catch by Jennings, but all the football actions directly involved in that play - which would reveal Golden Tate's clear and blatant offensive pass interference.

The bottom line sadly, is that GB put themselves in position to lose that game by going to the stupid 3 man rush, "prevent" D. It's another exhibit of why I think "garbage time" is a stupid concept. By deciding it was "garbage time" and implementing the "prevent", GB allowed Wilson to put them in position where the Refs could cost them the game. If Wilson had been running around the backfield like a scalded chicken (as he should have been), he would not have been able to make that throw. If Seattle lost, people would say (or at least if he were Fitz they would say) he is "padding his stats" in garbage time, but they pulled off the win so its a comeback and a sign of QB brilliance.

And if Jennings smacked the ball out of the field of play as every DB is coached to do, we're not having this discussion.

Edited by Hopeful

Peter king calling it the biggest disgrace in nfl history

Wow, that makes a HUGE difference. Peter King is an idiot, whose hyperbole is only designed to stir up more 'controversy'. Naturally, you dive right in head first to swallow it whole.

I don't recall this level of outrage in the playoffs last season... http://content.usato.../1#.UGGv5K5cYik

The best part about the replacement refs is that it doesn't seem like the "golden" teams are getting every single call anymore. There are bad calls being made, sure - but that's ALWAYS been a part of the game. This time though, every team is getting some calls going their way, and not just the Packers, Patriots, etc. Seems more fair to me.