Why is no one giving any love to Chan for the kneeldown?

D521646

I see both points, and lean toward the prudence and classiness of taking the knee.

However, how much ya want to bet Belichick* would have gone for the jugular in the same circumstance?

I'd bet that he would not. Not because he is a "nice guy", because he clearly is not. But because as I stated before, it slams the door on the opponent and ends the game with the certain W. And he is more than smart enough to realize that, as is Gailey.

But then again, you could say taking the knee IS going for the jugular. It takes all hope from the opponent.

Edited by CodeMonkey

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Agree it was the right move and many if not most coaches would have done the same thing, but I can think of at least two coaches who would have run a play there - Belichick and Ryan.

Don't forget Pete Carroll; he would do it too. He did it to the Bills once when he was coaching the Patriots.

if you score the TD there, we're up 17 pts, there is no way THAT Browns team score 18 pts in under 2 min.

If you take the knee there's no way they score any.

And there's no way you take an injury in garbage time. Or turn the ball over trying to score giving them only 10 to tie.

Gregg Easterbrook's column today gave Chan and the Bills some love for the move. Said the football gods should repay them for the classy act, or something along those lines.

Was just about to post this... under "Sportmanship note" halfway down: http://espn.go.com/espn/playbook/story/_/id/8421050/the-replacement-referees-losing-control-coaches-players-worse-blown-calls

Actually, if we're in the same situation against NE this weekend, I say snap the ball to CMac and have him run over to the Pats' sideline and crash into Brady. Then, spike the ball into Belicheat's face. We could handle the 15 yd penalty at that point.

For a peace frog i like ur style brutha!

Edited by snamsnoops

Whatever we won the game. That game shouldn't have even been that close if not for Spiller getting injured. I would rather blow the Browns out then win by a "classy 10" My point is if I'm a Browns fan I'm not sitting there going "Well gee goly shucks Thank ya Mr. Gailey for being classy and taking a knee". A Win is a win a loss is a loss whether it's by 1- or 40 or whatever. It was the right thing to do in this circumstance, but I'm in fully favor of taking the Belichick approach of if you're up by 20 with under 2 minutes in a game make the other team stop you or oh well.

Edited by Stealth