Dead musicians you wish you could have seen play live

Just Jack

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Luther Allison

Stevie Ray Vaughn

These 2 above all others! The rest of my list sadly reads like a who's who of classic rock (save for cobain)

Jimi Hendrix

Led Zeppelin

Pink Floyd (with waters/gilmour - not dead but very little chance i'll get to see it)

The Doors

Kurt Cobain

Original Lynard Skynard

dont be jealous--but i saw skynnyrd and stevie ray...Stevie ray was a warm up act for the Moody Fn Blues in 1978 or 81 Im spacing---no one had really heard of them yet----at the aud----They blew everybody away--completely stole the show.-And I was sitting in the 3rd row.

Luther Allison

Stevie Ray Vaughn

These 2 above all others! The rest of my list sadly reads like a who's who of classic rock (save for cobain)

Jimi Hendrix

Led Zeppelin

Pink Floyd (with waters/gilmour - not dead but very little chance i'll get to see it)

The Doors

Kurt Cobain

Original Lynard Skynard

Good choice on Luther Allison. He was the warmup performer when I

saw the Allman Brothers in 1971. A week after that concert Duane had died in

the motorcycle accident.

Edited by LewPort71

Actually he is one of the greatest singers of all time. There is a difference between singing and singing voice. Whitney Houston may have had a all-time great singing voice, but she was not a great singer.

no idea what your trying to say here....why wasent Whitney a great singer? she had range, she had originality, what was missing?

as far as Dylan (and again, I am a huge Bob fan, have seen him live several times, and religiously listen to recordings/records), we obviously have a different interpretation of "great singers"...he is a great songwriter and as someone pointed out in previous post, has found a voice for his song writing...but the man cant sing (self admittedly, see last rolling stone issue interview with him) a lick...sure he has one of the most recognizable singing voices of all time, but he wasent a great singer (in the sense of being able to carry a tune and/or has no range) - so if your trying to say his voice matches his music, then sure I agree...

I would label great singers as people like: Sinatra, Robert Plant, Adele, Mercury, Etta James - people who could sing almost any song and have it sound beautiful...

just my two cents though

dont be jealous--but i saw skynnyrd and stevie ray...Stevie ray was a warm up act for the Moody Fn Blues in 1978 or 81 Im spacing---no one had really heard of them yet----at the aud----They blew everybody away--completely stole the show.-And I was sitting in the 3rd row.

:censored: kidding :nana: Stevie just made the guitar sing. His version of Little Wing man I don't even have the words to describe it.

Good choice on Luther Allison. He was the warmup performer when I

saw the Allman Brothers in 1971. A week after that concert Duane had died in

the motorcycle accident.

Another guy who made the guitar sing. I found out about him from xm radio on a transatlantic flight that had about an hour of music looping so I listened to Bad Love 5 or 6 times on that flight. The live version from Chicago is phenomenal. Amazing amazing blues artist. You lucky :censored::flirt:

Saw Pantera. Good show but not on my greatest shows of all time list.

Awesome im so jealous (phil anselmo was the man back than). Completely understandable though. Im a metal head but can completely understand not putting any metal band on the top of this list. Another one is Ronnie James Dio, i just cant get over how ahead of his time this guy was. Holy Diver came out 5 years before i was born, and that CD i still listen to a few times a month

Good call on that one. Or how about Metallica with the original bass player cliff burton ?

Today or yesterday was the anniversary of his death

Awesome im so jealous (phil anselmo was the man back than). Completely understandable though. Im a metal head but can completely understand not putting any metal band on the top of this list. Another one is Ronnie James Dio, i just cant get over how ahead of his time this guy was. Holy Diver came out 5 years before i was born, and that CD i still listen to a few times a month

Today or yesterday was the anniversary of his death

Fellow metal head myself. Although the last few years (I hate to admit this) screemo has been the majority of my listening time. Bullet for my valentine is incredible as well as kill switch engage. As for Metallica cliff was a part of my two favorite albums (master first then ride the lightning) and I still listen to both of them here and there. Kirk did a more than adequate job replacing him and I didn't even think when of them when I made my list.

On a side note I have seen Metallica (at Woodstock 99) a didnt really think they put on a great show. May have been a hangover bc rage played right before them (best live show ever - seen them 4 times and each has been amazing) but none the less I was disappointed with Metallica.

Why wasn't Whitney a great singer? she had range, she had originality, what was missing?

Well, after his first album, she had NO originality at all, as she started to sing the same old radio-friendly bland "pop" over and over. Of course, that's when the crack use started to kick in.

In all fairness, though, that first album was a landmark album that had some real R&B on it.