All-22 Coaches Film -- Analysis of Fitz Week Two

eball

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So with nothing better do after waking up way too early this morning with a head cold, I decided to break out the iPad and watch the coaches film of the KC game, with a specific focus on the play of Fitzpatrick.

Mind you, I went into this exercise with the predisposition Fitz had played poorly on Sunday -- or if not poorly, then average at best. From my vantage point in the stands, it seemed as though he had no confidence and was either late or inaccurate on a number of throws.

The result of my analysis? I watched every offensive snap Fitz took, and my conclusion is he either missed an opportunity or made an errant throw a total of three times. Here are those plays:

1. 3rd and 1, Buffalo 25, 10:11 1st Q -- Fitz rolls right and throws incomplete to Chandler. He actually makes two mistakes on the play -- failing to throw initially when Chandler breaks free, and then badly underthrowing the open TE while moving to his right. Just a bad play; Bills punt.

2. 1st and 10, KC 17, 2:12 1st Q -- Fitz is trying to hit Stevie on a quick slant and throws a low and away fastball. This is another throw to his right -- Stevie had a chance to catch it, but not a good chance. The next play was CJ's first TD.

Surprisingly, that was it for the 1st half. Fitz went 7/12 but in my opinion the other three incompletions were neither bad decisions nor bad throws. The TD to Chandler was a beautiful throw, and Fitz scrambled several times for positive yardage. He was on time and hit receivers in stride as well.

In the 2nd half, the lone bad throw I picked up was on 3rd and 3 from the Buffalo 27 on the first drive of the 3rd Q. Fitz had Stevie wide open in the middle of the zone to his left for an easy 1st down, and he simply missed the throw.

That was it. There were a couple of throws to the outside that at first glance appeared to be errant, but when looking at the play from the All-22 perspective you could see the receivers were covered and Fitz essentially threw it away.

On the Bills' last TD drive, Fitz was really on target. The rollout and toss to Chandler was perfectly executed, and then the TD to Stevie was thrown in stride so Johnson did not have to stop or stretch for the pass.

All in all, I came away from the film with a much different perspective on Fitz's play -- surprisingly so. Three bad plays in 23 dropbacks (including four rushes) doesn't seem so bad. I'd be interested in hearing if others also watched the film and had another impression.

where do you get the coaches film?

Reading all of these responses, I find it curious that some are unwilling to suggest Fitz had a "good" game when the results are a win, 2 TD passes, no turnovers, nearly 40 yards in scrambles, and the direction of four TD drives.

Lucy, 'splain.

Some people might hold QBs to higher standards than others. "Not turning the ball over" does not, in itself, qualify a good thing.

He completed less than 60% of his passes and missed on some easy throws. One TD pass was a 5 yard pass that stevie took to the house. Also I'm not sure how 34 = nearly 40 yards in scrambles.

You will forever be skeptical no matter who the QB for the Bills is. About 7000 yards and 50 TDs in 2 years isn't good enough for you? What is? I know, it's nothing less than Brady, Brees, Rodgers, Manning type numbers. Gimme a break.

You forgot to mention those 38 INT's in 29 games as the starter in 2010-11.

It is absolutely truly amazing to me that people don't seem to take in account that in the middle of the third quarter, the score was 35-3. If the score was 13-3, or 35-23, Fitz would have thrown the ball 25 times easily, and likely 30.

It is amazing, but consistent for homers who review what happened rather than anticipate how opponents will respond with another week of film to work with. I can't imagine future opponents won't be scheming to force Fitz into throwing more, where he is prone to incompletions or at worst, turnovers.

Some people might hold QBs to higher standards than others. "Not turning the ball over" does not, in itself, qualify a good thing.

He completed less than 60% of his passes and missed on some easy throws. One TD pass was a 5 yard pass that stevie took to the house. Also I'm not sure how 34 = nearly 40 yards in scrambles.

Alright, I've stood idly in this thread long enough. WHAT IS YOUR DEAL?

Seriously. What is your agenda, lady?

Alright, I've stood idly in this thread long enough. WHAT IS YOUR DEAL?

Seriously. What is your agenda, lady?

Lady?

I just don't think Fitz played that well against the chiefs and I'm still worried about our QB play moving forward. Thats my deal. Whats yours?

Also I like engaging in discussions on this message board.. I dont know why people get all bent out of shape when people do that.

Edited by Billsrhody

Lady?

I just don't think Fitz played that well against the chiefs and I'm still worried about our QB play moving forward. Thats my deal. Whats yours?

Also I like engaging in discussions on this message board.. I dont know why people get all bent out of shape when people do that.

120 QB rating is not "well" according to Billsrhody.

Lets go check to see who sucks in the NFL according to those standards... According to ESPN, there are 33 qualifying QBs with a QB rating of under 120 for the season.

All QBs suck.

120 QB rating is not "well" according to Billsrhody.

Lets go check to see who sucks in the NFL according to those standards... According to ESPN, there are 33 qualifying QBs with a QB rating of under 120 for the season.

All QBs suck.

Because QB rating is the only way to determine how well QBs play

Lady?

And you can go ahead and THINK whatever you want. The purpose of this thread was to provide the evidence which disproves what you THINK. What you THINK is wrong. And until you provide evidence to the contrary, or any evidence, for that matter, you're just coming across as a whiner with an ax to grind.

I think it's a very good averaging of a QB's performance.

How about QBR, what's your cut off point for QBR?

How about the eye test?

What did Fitz do that was worthy of one of the top performances of week 2?

And you can go ahead and THINK whatever you want. The purpose of this thread was to provide the evidence which disproves what you THINK. What you THINK is wrong. And until you provide evidence to the contrary, or any evidence, for that matter, you're just coming across as a whiner with an ax to grind.

I'm not going to repost all of the evidence that I've posted throughout this thread. If you want you can go back and read it.

How about the eye test?

What did Fitz do that was worthy of one of the top performances of week 2?

Does it really matter? Seriously? I tried to point out a good play that Fitz made and you crapped on that. That's your prerogative of course and it doesn't matter to me, but I think your question is disingenuous because it seems there is nothing anyone can point out that you would agree with.

GO BILLS!!!

Does it really matter? Seriously? I tried to point out a good play that Fitz made and you crapped on that. That's your prerogative of course and it doesn't matter to me, but I think your question is disingenuous because it seems there is nothing anyone can point out that you would agree with.

GO BILLS!!!

I didnt "crap" on that play. He made the right play in that situation. That is not what I'm knocking Fitz for.

I'm knocking him for the misses on easy throws. Just because he made the throw we discussed and the throw to chandler, does not mean he had a great game.

Edited by Billsrhody

It is amazing, but consistent for homers who review what happened rather than anticipate how opponents will respond with another week of film to work with. I can't imagine future opponents won't be scheming to force Fitz into throwing more, where he is prone to incompletions or at worst, turnovers.

I can't imagine any team not scheming to try and take advantage of what they perceive to be another team's weaknesses. What exactly is your point -- that we shouldn't critically analyze Fitz's play last Sunday?

I didnt "crap" on that play. He made the right play in that situation. That is not what I'm knocking Fitz for.

I'm knocking him for the misses on easy throws.

Then you must spend a lot of time knocking every QB who ever played the game.

Unless, of course, you have seen one that never missed easy throws.

GO BILLS!!!

Then you must spend a lot of time knocking every QB who ever played the game.

Unless, of course, you have seen one that never missed easy throws.

GO BILLS!!!

Well I'm critical of Fitz because he's the QB of the team I follow.

Also, I live in Boston so I see more than my fare share of Brady playing. That guy does not miss easy throws. I know I'm probably holding Fitz to too high of a standard.. But I know he can make the throws that he missed on Sunday.

The eye test was that he was terrible in the NY Jet game along with every most other player on the team not named CJ, and that his team was up 35-3 when they shut down the offense in the KC game. No one can deny that he had a poor game on opening day, and no one reasonably can deny that he was fine as far as his stewardship in the second game, and he didn't make any major mistakes. He made a couple of extraordinary throws and a couple of horrendous throws, but he did what was asked of him and he didn't need to do any more. You cannot say that he wouldn't have played well if the game wasn't a blowout, he made a lot of plays on his arm and his legs and in his head that led to that 28-3 lead.

Well I'm critical of Fitz because he's the QB of the team I follow.

Also, I live in Boston so I see more than my fare share of Brady playing. That guy does not miss easy throws. I know I'm probably holding Fitz to too high of a standard.. But I know he can make the throws that he missed on Sunday.

Ask Tom Brady if he's ever missed an easy throw. He has.

Anyway, I think it's perfectly rational to observe Brady's body of work and be hyper-critical of Fitz by way of comparison.

If Brady is the standard, I suggest you close your eyes when Fitz is on TV.

GO BILLS!!!